Use of Nets

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Lore Drake

Use of Nets

Post by maximus »

Are there any rules for using Nets in combat? This question was asked on another forum and I'm trying to help out.

Thx!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Use of Nets

Post by Go0gleplex »

I remember seeing combat with them listed somewhere. One of the Codices maybe. The equipment list in the ABP includes them. So maybe it was there. They do no damage but have a chance of entangling, DEX save I think...STR to break free. They can also be used to trip and entangle pole arms and swords to disarm others. Pretty much subdual type combat effects if nothing else; said subdual rules being usable in a pinch.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Well I found "Humanoid Net" in the equipment list, which I assume is what I'm looking for, but don't see any rules for it. Appreciate your ideas for the mechanics. Thanks!

Max

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

My younger daughter's thief has a history that included being from a fisher village, so she has a net.

I've let her use it to damage by hitting with the weighted end, or entangle a target doing no damage. I'm not sure on BtB, but I had her make an attack roll and them make a contested dex save to avoid being completely entangled (narrating it that the net has the target's arm and leg or both legs but at least be able to attack or defend themselves even if they can't move if they make the save v being completely entangled and unable to act at all if they fail the save).
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

The only other place I can think of for rules about net combat would be the Codex-Classicum. The Retiarius (a type of gladiator) fought with a large net and trident.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Got me wondering about this so I went all the way back Gygax D2 - Shrine of the Kuo-Toa because I know they used nets... Sadly no specific mechanic is listed there either. So my gut is, roll to hit (touch attack) then save vs (Dex) to avoid entangle.

-Mike

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

There are rules for net combat in the D&D Companion set and the Rules Cyclopedia. For the RC, see pp. 80-81. Special effects include entangle, slow, and delay. These come from the weapon mastery table, pp. 78-79. Saving throw bonuses assigned by level. Could easily be a Dex or Str siege check.

Simply put, for

Entangle: "an entangled victim cannot attack, cast spells, or move. The victim may make a saving throw vs. death ray each round to escape."
Delay: "The victim hit must make a save or lose initiative the next round. If no save type is indicated, it should be vs. paralysis."
Slow: "The victim is slowed and can move and attack at only half normal rate and cannot cast spells."
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Thanks all! Good discussion here. I've never thought of using nets, but it brings a few ideas to mind.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

complete fighter's handbook has detailed rules. range 10' increments.
May 1982 Dragon mag by Rory Bowman has hooked (15 gp) and weighted (3 gp). the hooked did damage 2d4. 10' range increment. ROF (remember that one?): 1/3 for hooked and 1/2 for weighted. 10' diameter, weighted perimeter. to hit gets it there and a save vs breath weapon does entangle with 50% to fall.
Now it gets wordy: If you struggle, you take damage. 2d4 rounds to cut out with dagger if someone is actively yanking on the net, taking full damage all the while. but if not being yanked around 1 round out with a dagger taking but d4 damage. Help from outside does it in a round or so. It's a kind of clunky rules set I do not want to retype. Similar for weighted but damage and escape is down to d2. If one does not struggle no damage. They mention the small one-handed gladiator net used only to entangle weapons - star trek flash back anyone?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

actually Spartacus with Kirk Douglas is what comes to mind when doing net fights. Morti Salutamis!
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I assign nets three attributes:

1) Spacing - this represents how wide the spaces are with three variations: M, S, and T so that a large creature caught cannot easily escape through a hole, but a M-sized one holding a small creature will allow wiggling away. Certain magical nets may ignore this such as a net of entrapment.
2) Weight - for non-Monsters, this represents the minimum Strength needed to lift it off, without a check, but those lower need a Strength check at difficulty 4 (with some nets gaining magical adjustments). Monsters determine effective Strength in my usual way.
3)Durability - this represents how easily cut/torn the net is and is basically a number of rounds needed to cut free with some ad hoc adjustments when dealing with variables unaccounted for such as very strong, very large, creatures caught - these factors usually reduce the durability rounds by half, per so in the previous example a 4 round durability would be reduced to 1 for a very large, very strong, capture.

I want nets to be considered useful but not to the point of them being default.