Returning to C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Returning to C&C

Post by Desrimal »

Hi

I use to play alot of C&C, but for the past 8 years (jeez!) I’ve been playing D&D, Shadow of the Demon Lord and Call of Cthulhu. All are great games, but I’m getting ready to return to some good old-school RPGing

What’s changed about the game since I left?

I been thinking about getting the 3 extremely cool core rulebooks that are designed like 1st ed AD&D...
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Returning to C&C

Post by Fizz »

Welcome back!
Desrimal wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:16 pm
What’s changed about the game since I left?
Umm... nothing? :) Seriously, the core game is pretty much the same. There are more expansion books (spells, classes, etc), settings books and adventures. And i'm sure the Trolls have done some editing. And as you note, there is new art in the new core books. But as far as the game / mechanics goes, it's as you remember it.

-Fizz

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Damn. I was searching for a really good excuse to buy the books with the new covers... :D

Seriously though, I’m glad to hear the game is as I remember it.
RPGing since '89

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Desrimal wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:38 am
Damn. I was searching for a really good excuse to buy the books with the new covers... :D
I think we all struggle with that. Heh.

That said, if you have some of the older books (3rd printing or earlier), then you have the old version of the barbarian. It was redone in the fourth printing. Also in the fourth, the illusionist had a number of new spells added.

Just hoping that might give you the excuse you need. :)

-Fizz

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Welcome back!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

See books. Want books. Buy books. ;) :) 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

The new Monsters and Treasure has much more of each, that's your way in to the latest printing

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I'd also recommend getting some of the newer stuff like Adventurers Backpack & Adventurers Spellbook if you like lots of options, funky equipment and the like. And they're always having good sales so stay tuned for those. I got a free copy of Players Archive with my 8th printing of the PHB and I recently snagged Mystical Companions for $10 direct from Troll Lord.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Adventurer's Backpack is a bit of a mixed bag, IMO. At least as far as the new classes are concerned.

I'd also recommend looking at the Amazing Adventures game. It's geared toward more "modern" settings, but the Siege version is all compatible with C&C. And there are suggestions on using material in a C&C game and vice-versa.

(The 5e version is pretty cool too!)

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

paladinn wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:48 pm
Adventurer's Backpack is a bit of a mixed bag, IMO. At least as far as the new classes are concerned.

I'd also recommend looking at the Amazing Adventures game. It's geared toward more "modern" settings, but the Siege version is all compatible with C&C. And there are suggestions on using material in a C&C game and vice-versa.

(The 5e version is pretty cool too!)
True; the classes in AB tend to be kind of niche, or even weird. There are better classes in Crusader's Companion. But the other stuff is useful. Love the backpacks, the spell options for bards, rangers, and paladins (with dedicated lists), new weapons, spells, and the like.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Ok, ok you’ve convinced me - I’m getting the new books ;)

And thanks for the “welcome back” everyone. Nice to see that this forum is still active.
RPGing since '89

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 pm
Welcome back!
+1 to that !

Like everyone else has said, there isn't any earth shattering changes to the rules, new art, new lay out, cleaning up here and there in the core books. Like Anvil said the M&T has some more than the originals.

Rgr on Adventure Backpack being odd and niche classes. I'm sure it is good for some, but it isn't my flavor of tea.

Rgr on AA being a good option for modern games. I modified it for an 1880s Masque of Red death game and thus far it worked out well (I am going to change it to modified Call of Cathluhu though to get away from a heroic based game which AA does doe well into a slightly less powerful and a touch more horror game, but it is not a knock on the rules)

Similarly in 8 years you may have missed Victorious. It is a great heroes game based on the siege engine. Not completely C&C but it is a very good adaptable game. We played it in the 1880ish btb setting, a modern setting, a fantasy setting, and kicked around ideas for a Star Wars Victorious game. I can't say enough good about it.

Now my addition to the discussion, I love the Codexes . They bring semi historic semi mythical settings into C&C. Viking, Slavic Celt, .... and others I can't remember off the top of my head. I've mined them for spells ideas etc, and if a history background slathered with myth and magic is your cup of tea they are good additions to your must have books.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Lurker wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:52 am
Rgr on AA being a good option for modern games.. I am going to change it to modified Call of Cathluhu though to get away from a heroic based game which AA does doe well into a slightly less powerful and a touch more horror game, but it is not a knock on the rules.
There is a Labyrinth Lord-compatible game called Realms of Crawling Chaos that is exactly "D&D Cthulhu." It's not a Siege game, but you should be able to easily mine it for suggestions. Especially monsters, sanity, etc.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

True, though Hyperborea does it better as I've found that RCC is pretty under-powered. There are some cool rules for making up Mythos Tomes in RCC as I recall.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

YEAH GO FOR THE NEW AND EXPANDED BOOKS BUT BE CAREFUL NOT ALL ARE EQUAL. Some PH have high level and race age/height and others do not. some M&T are greatly expanded. I suggest the expanded ones.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I just rebought the "classic box" C&C and am currently pondering a new set of hardbacks. It's a little strange that not all books are the same "printing" (I think the newest PH is 8th while the newest M&T is 5th) but always nice to remember that the core rules never change. A few tweaks maybe, but the essence remains unchanged. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Hey, welcome back!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm
Hey, welcome back!
And . . hey, welcome back to the forum! We have all missed you. I've been cryin' for years, man!

Ok, now that ur back - get those bros to run another TrollCON - so I can kick ass at that beans game u introduced me to.

All the best to u and ur fam.

Formerly known as Rhu.

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Tadhg wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:05 am
Breakdaddy wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm
Hey, welcome back!
And . . hey, welcome back to the forum! We have all missed you. I've been cryin' for years, man!

Ok, now that ur back - get those bros to run another TrollCON - so I can kick ass at that beans game u introduced me to.

All the best to u and ur fam.

Formerly known as Rhu.

:D
Haha thanks man :)

Heck yeah Bohnanza and Trolls! Hope you and yours are doing well!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan