Random Stuff You Cribbed from Other Worlds for Yours

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Random Stuff You Cribbed from Other Worlds for Yours

Post by Persimmon »

Like a lot of you, I suspect, I created a homebrew setting for my campaign. It was originally designed for AD&D but I've just ported our C&C games into it as they're pretty interchangeable in most ways. My setting of Krysonia is not all that unique, but pretty much cobbled together from real world history, fantasy inspirations, classic modules (that I situate somewhere) and whatever things have stricken my fancy over the decades. So there are assorted literary/pop culture references sprinkled in. One "quirk" is that the Asian-inspired lands are west, rather than east, of the "core" lands. This is primarily because I envisioned the latter first, and since I had oceans to the east and south, I wanted overland realms to the west, beyond mountains, steppes, and desert areas. Then I added Hyperborea as the north pole region, just dropping in the map from the Hyperborea RPG.

Another ramification of this decision was that when I got the Dragonlance Krynn Adventures supplement back in the day, I was fascinated by the Krynn minotaurs, who are depicted as pirates with human rather than bovine feet. I decided to bring that into my world and created the thalassocracy of Argos, a realm infamous for piracy and gladitorial games located southeast of the main continent. The minotaurs there are a sub-species in the Krynn mold. So the other day I was finally skimming Codex Classicum and saw the gladiator class. Now I'm going to convert a minotaur barbarian I have from our AD&D days to an Argossean Gladiator.

So what are some of the favorite things you've cribbed from other settings for your own? I'm thinking of less obvious stuff; not just bringing say, drow, into your game.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Random Stuff You Cribbed from Other Worlds for Yours

Post by maximus »

My campaign world is Greyhawk. I've placed adventures other than 1E canon as filler or one shots to bridge from one arc to another, but nothing from another world per se.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I write all of my own material...including having done several worlds over the years. The one I've used for the last ten plus years has been heavily influenced by anime and light novels I've read; so the beast-kin races, monsters, spells, items, and even some classes have all found their way into C&C expanding things a LOT and adding a loads of flavor. It isn't just cookie cutter parties or wizards/clerics by another name stuff anymore and provided more than a few laughs and necessary changes of unmentionables. :D

The ubiquitous Tavern is no longer the main place to pick up adventure hooks either...for that the Adventurer's Guild serves as the mainstay along with established "Labyrinth Towns" that make a living off of the local dungeon and resources retrieved from it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:13 pm
I write all of my own material...including having done several worlds over the years. The one I've used for the last ten plus years has been heavily influenced by anime and light novels I've read; so the beast-kin races, monsters, spells, items, and even some classes have all found their way into C&C expanding things a LOT and adding a loads of flavor. It isn't just cookie cutter parties or wizards/clerics by another name stuff anymore and provided more than a few laughs and necessary changes of unmentionables. :D

The ubiquitous Tavern is no longer the main place to pick up adventure hooks either...for that the Adventurer's Guild serves as the mainstay along with established "Labyrinth Towns" that make a living off of the local dungeon and resources retrieved from it.
Cool; we have adventuring companies, which I cribbed from Forgotten Realms.

an_th
Skobbit

Post by an_th »

It's only recently that I have started to own many published setting materials, but over the years I have enjoyed bringing ideas from Dark Sun into my games. Probably because I bought the 2e boxed set as a teen and then never got to play it.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

I added the Norse god Sif to my Darksun campaign via a spelljammer helm back in the day, and there were several places from Middle Earth scattered about in all of my worlds over the years. I don't have the energy (or temperament) to build worlds from scratch anymore, so I mainly operate in established worlds just to keep any back stories straight.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Conceptually, I have stolen the idea of World Laws/Axioms from TORG (the original version - I don't know if they exist in the newer Kickstarter released version) which come into play using a Ravenloft-inspired Mist-like thing in my world called The Winds of Elsewhen which can take the players to several different places/times/settings in which various multiversal things exist and are taken from a wide array of places including goblins riding in mecha/gundam (technically lifted from the Labyrinth movie) and many more. Basically, at one point I looked at my collection of RPGs and said "yes, I want to play that" and then developed a means to include everything I own. Plus whatever else might be interesting not in one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of games I have, now, but realistically that's very far and few... details might be different but there are no concepts I have not seen in one game or the other.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I love to steal from history or books or movies as much as I can. Almost anything fits within a given big world.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Some cool ideas here.

One thing I deliberately did when creating my setting was only map the core of the main continent so there's ample room to add stuff. Hell, I'm not even sure the world is a globe. I added Hyperborea as the northern region after that RPG came out and in that setting, the edge of the world spills into the cosmic void. That also worked in that it has two moons, which I had already worked into my setting. I like having the freedom to bolt new stuff on without worrying too much since I'm always tinkering with the history anyways.