The Human race and 2nd ed Priests

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

The Human race and 2nd ed Priests

Post by Captain_K »

the race as a class discussion has me thinking, why not do the same for humans, not so much race as a class but more human racial abilities. Not sure what they might be, but 3 primes seem less than adequate. Thoughts?

Second topic down this path, in 2nd edition clerics and druids became specialized priests (heck the illusionist was just a specialized wizard - possibly the best treatment of that class ever). The idea to dial up a priest that balances spells, armor and weapons was great fun and kind of the sort of race as a class rulings one would need to keep your race as a class in line race to race and with other classes.

We can learn from and apply what worked in the past.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: the Human race and 2nd ed Priests

Post by Persimmon »

Well for me the three primes plus the unlimited class selections are enough since I do enforce restrictions on classes for demi-humans. I can't think of too many racial abilities that would have positive game effects given the state of humanity. Maybe some save bonuses, -1 to Int rolls, race/species intolerance, propensity for genocide and environmental destruction?

I never really played second edition, but I do like the idea of more flavorful clerics with access to specific spells and/or abilities that distinguish them. The problem is coming up with them. Weapon choices are easy enough, in line with the deity/faith. They could get some kind of special spell or ability every so many levels like say, 1, 5, 9, 13, 17 or whatever. A completely specialized spell list would be cool, but harder to create and keep track of. But as I've said, I do like those a lot.

The Hyperborea RPG features Pyromancers, Cryomancers, Neoromancers, & Witches with discrete spell lists in addition to your standard clerics, druids, and magicians. And they have a shaman class where you pick between lists. You choose one arcane & one divine list between magician, cleric, druid, and necromancer. Plus you get some other abilities. I have ported this class over to C&C for Half-orcs as an alternative spellcasting class.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Many of the 2nd edition specialty priests were overpowered or vastly underpowered, such as Isis, for an example of over, with armor, access to magic-user spells, chosen spell immunity, magic resistance overall, and advancement rate as a cleric (so very fast) and/or Gond who is fun but not that powerful given they have no control/command over undead and may not even be able to exist anyway if the DM doesn't want firearms (arquebus) in the game (and if they don't exist, a major point of their abilities is lost.)

I will say some of the faith-based spells are very cool though.

I personally just have clerics gain access to one or two abilities based on their alignment.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Some food for thought; We replaced a few of the Cleric powers with something more appropriate to the deity they were following. Some examples:

God of Light/Good/Life: Powers per book.
God of Fire/Air/Water/Earth: Turn/Command X Elemental and Element based spells
God of War: No Turn Undead and only minor healing. Weapon +1 x times per day and choice of +1 to STR, CON, or DEX.
God of Healing: No weapons allowed and not allowed to do direct harm, but all healing at +3 bonus, Turn Undead at +1, and Pacify (mechanic-wise, like Turn but putting hostile foes to sleep)

and so forth...was a lot of work...but it made for some verrrrry interesting campaigns at times. That was my group in the 90s before I moved to Oregon, the gaming equivalent of Death Valley. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, for clerics basing what they can turn/command based on their (or their deity's) alignment/sphere of influence is an easy tweak that immediately adds flavor.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I really liked 2nd Ed specialty priests as well, but the spheres of influence were rather wonky. The default spheres really messed up traditional druids. However, Dragon Magazine #205 fixed these issues and made the spheres much more sensible.

Over the last while, i've actually been working on specialty priests for C&C. It follows the 2nd Ed methodology, but with expanded / updated spheres of influence, and using C&C spell lists rather than 2nd Ed's. Since i prefer the Birthright setting, there is some influence there, but it's applicable to any setting.

It's in pretty good shape, so perhaps in the next while i should tidy it up the file and make it available, if there is sufficient interest.

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:54 pm
I really liked 2nd Ed specialty priests as well, but the spheres of influence were rather wonky. The default spheres really messed up traditional druids. However, Dragon Magazine #205 fixed these issues and made the spheres much more sensible.

Over the last while, i've actually been working on specialty priests for C&C. It follows the 2nd Ed methodology, but with expanded / updated spheres of influence, and using C&C spell lists rather than 2nd Ed's. Since i prefer the Birthright setting, there is some influence there, but it's applicable to any setting.

It's in pretty good shape, so perhaps in the next while i should tidy it up the file and make it available, if there is sufficient interest.

-Fizz
Definitely interested, sir!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I made a rating system for each sphere, weapons armor, etc to try to balance and we did all our own priests. plus not all god's made their clerics good gaming priests.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

paladinn wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:05 am
Fizz wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:54 pm

-Fizz
Definitely interested, sir!
+ 1 to that :!:

I always like the idea of specialty priests and spheres etc. But that is one thing i never tried to house rule.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote: Definitely interested, sir!
Lurker wrote: + 1 to that :!:
OK, give me a couple days to tidy things up and put it in a nice format. Then we'll figure out how to get the file to you. :)

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm
OK, give me a couple days to tidy things up and put it in a nice format. Then we'll figure out how to get the file to you. :)

-Fizz
Hello Mr. Fizzmeister,

Have you gotten anywhere on this?

Thanks!

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:12 pm
Fizz wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 pm

-Fizz
Hello Mr. Fizzmeister,

Thanks!
Indeed i have. It's almost ready, and i'm just proof-reading and formatting. Give me another day and v1 will be available. Sorry it took longer than expected.

-Fizz

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

paladinn wrote:
Hello Mr. Fizzmeister,
OK, the file (version 1) is ready. If everything went as i planned, every cleric and druid spell has been organized into my set of 21 spheres. Hopefully i haven't missed any spell, and likewise i hope i didn't introduce a wizard or illusionist spell. If i did either, let me know and i'll fix.

Now how best to get it to you? I'll try to get it on a server in the next day or so for general availability somewhere. But since you guys were so eager, i'll give you first dibs. Send me a PM with your email and i'll send it to you.

-Fizz

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Fizz wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 pm
paladinn wrote:
Hello Mr. Fizzmeister,
OK, the file (version 1) is ready. If everything went as i planned, every cleric and druid spell has been organized into my set of 21 spheres. Hopefully i haven't missed any spell, and likewise i hope i didn't introduce a wizard or illusionist spell. If i did either, let me know and i'll fix.

Now how best to get it to you? I'll try to get it on a server in the next day or so for general availability somewhere. But since you guys were so eager, i'll give you first dibs. Send me a PM with your email and i'll send it to you.

-Fizz
PM sent.. Thanks for all your work!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

How about you upload it to the Knights of the Crusade?

I'll check yours against mine from the 2nd ed days....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Human race and 2nd ed Priests

Post by Captain_K »

upload it?

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Forwarded

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Captain_K wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:08 pm
How about you upload it to the Knights of the Crusade?
I'll check yours against mine from the 2nd ed days....
That is a good idea. I went to do that, but it won't let me register (though i could have sworn i had an account already). It says my email is "blacklisted"? Weird- it's same email i use for these boards.

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I found my stuff, I will upload to you via email soon. I will, if you OK it, email Troll Tim and see about getting you back on that site.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Captain_K wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:50 am
I found my stuff, I will upload to you via email soon. I will, if you OK it, email Troll Tim and see about getting you back on that site.
A few days ago I sent an email via the knightsofthecrusade online help, but i have yet to hear a reply. So yes if you have a shortcut for that, that'd be great. I'd like to share the document to everyone easily, and knightsofthecrusade sounds like a good way to do it.

Do you have a copy of my file? If not, shoot me a PM with your email address.

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I just logged into knight of the crusade. It still works.
checking PMs next.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Captain_K wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:37 pm
I just logged into knight of the crusade. It still works.
checking PMs next.
For me it still says my email is blacklisted. So strange. Hopefully Tim will have a chance to look at it soon.

-Fizz