Your Favorite C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Lore Drake

Your Favorite C&C

Post by maximus »

Inspired by a "most iconic" thread on another site, I would like to ask what's your favorite C&C:

1. Monster
2. Magic Item
3. Spell

Mine are:

1. Dragon - who doesn't like dragons?
2. Giant Slayer Longsword - I almost always play a Ranger, so when I earn one of these, life is wonderful
3. Color Spray - packs a lot of punch for a low level spell

Have at it!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Your Favorite C&C

Post by Go0gleplex »

Black Pudding (the silent killer from the shadows)

Ring of Regeneration ('cause clerics are iffy)

Major Image (the possibilities are limited only by imagination)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Mimic (Almost always causes a PC casualty)

Ring of invisibility (Used intelligently makes for awesome offensive and defensive opportunities)

Polymorph Self (when you add the spell's duration to all the things you can change into it's hard to beat)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Gelatinous Cube (great for low-level shenanigans)

Bag of Holding (great for carrying extra stuff)

Wall of Thorns (battlefield changer when used right)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Rigon wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:16 am
The first time I played AD&D my PC died 5 minutes into the dungeon by walking into one of those in a dark room. :lol:

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:28 pm
Black Pudding (the silent killer from the shadows)

Ring of Regeneration ('cause clerics are iffy)

Major Image (the possibilities are limited only by imagination)
In all my years of playing I've never encountered a Black Pudding. How do you play them?

RoR is one of the best items in the game.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Grandpa wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:21 pm
Mimic (Almost always causes a PC casualty)

Ring of invisibility (Used intelligently makes for awesome offensive and defensive opportunities)

Polymorph Self (when you add the spell's duration to all the things you can change into it's hard to beat)
I've had a few mimics in my campaign. My son is fooled by them every time!

Ring of Invisibility is a great item, but not fool proof.

Haven't used Polymorph Self much, but I've used Polymorph Other on the party much to their frustration.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:

R-
My son had his Ranger fall into a trap with a GC at the bottom... classic look on his face. They managed to rescue him and get a nice sword out of the deal.

BoH is key to have at mid level

Never really used Wall of Thorns. Did we use that in your Kalamar campaign at all?

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

maximus wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:27 pm

Ring of Invisibility is a great item, but not fool proof.
Part of the fun GMing when a PC uses one is watching for the player making a mistake while using it. Not watching for footprints in the damp soil, etc.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

If you've ever seen the classic Blob movie, that's one way. The thing keeps coming...it doesn't stop for sleep...it finds the smallest of cracks in obstructions and oozes thru...its coloring allows it to blend in with shadows in holes and crevices...etc. I had one party get ambushed by a B.P. that had hidden itself in a very narrow crack in the wall which is used to drop down on top of them by surprise. (only one survivor out of 9...and that only due to a teleport item, the rest tried running away and got chased down after they foolishly split the thing into three...good times. :D)

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:01 pm
If you've ever seen the classic Blob movie, that's one way. The thing keeps coming...it doesn't stop for sleep...it finds the smallest of cracks in obstructions and oozes thru...its coloring allows it to blend in with shadows in holes and crevices...etc. I had one party get ambushed by a B.P. that had hidden itself in a very narrow crack in the wall which is used to drop down on top of them by surprise. (only one survivor out of 9...and that only due to a teleport item, the rest tried running away and got chased down after they foolishly split the thing into three...good times. :D)
Not my favorite movie.. lol. I remember in the remake, how the one guy got sucked down the toilet, with all the sound effects. Don't think I'll ever watch that again..lol

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm
Rigon wrote:

R-
My son had his Ranger fall into a trap with a GC at the bottom... classic look on his face. They managed to rescue him and get a nice sword out of the deal.

BoH is key to have at mid level

Never really used Wall of Thorns. Did we use that in your Kalamar campaign at all?
No, I played a Druid with a Staff of the Woodlands in one of Nate's games. I was devastating with the Wall of Thorns.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Silver Dragon – Argentius, he was a central character in all my modules He would use his powers to assume an alternate form as a half-orc barbarian library assistant. I hid his identity for about half my first module. So many great powers and not really a monster . . . and the most fun using him as an NPC to the adventuring party.

Helm of Brilliance - seemingly fantastic item, unless certain bad circumstances occur. If the wearer gets hit with magical fire, and saves are failed - then all hell breaks loose. Remaining gems overload and detonate. [Hopefully, Rigon will elaborate . . almost unexpected TPK]

After this disaster, I always left this magic item within easy pickins and NO, no PC ever grabbed it!!!

Best spell, no choice – too many are great and favored.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

paladinn wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:37 pm
Go0gleplex wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:01 pm
Not my favorite movie.. lol. I remember in the remake, how the one guy got sucked down the toilet, with all the sound effects. Don't think I'll ever watch that again..lol
Agree, I like "The Stuff" much better. :D

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Tadhg wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:38 am
Silver Dragon – Argentius, he was a central character in all my modules He would use his powers to assume an alternate form as a half-orc barbarian library assistant. I hid his identity for about half my first module. So many great powers and not really a monster . . . and the most fun using him as an NPC to the adventuring party.

Helm of Brilliance - seemingly fantastic item, unless certain bad circumstances occur. If the wearer gets hit with magical fire, and saves are failed - then all hell breaks loose. Remaining gems overload and detonate. [Hopefully, Rigon will elaborate . . almost unexpected TPK]

After this disaster, I always left this magic item within easy pickins and NO, no PC ever grabbed it!!!

Best spell, no choice – too many are great and favored.
Absolutely great use of a dragon as something other than a mindless killing machine. Sounds like lots of fun to play.

Never had a Helm of Brilliance, but absent the possible catastrophic event you list, it sounds like an item that can be used to great effect. Great thing is from a DM's point of view, it has a limited life cycle.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tadhg wrote:

Just because it unintentionally blow the top off the mountain doesn't mean it wasn't useful.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Rigon wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm
Tadhg wrote:

Just because it unintentionally blow the top off the mountain doesn't mean it wasn't useful.

R-
Of course...it probably happened to anger just about every druid in the region over the damage to nature and the environment. Just how many cute helpless bunnies did all that falling rock crush after all? :lol:

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

The monster is a toss up between Penanggalan and Son of Rhealth

Portable Hole... thought this could easily change with mood...

Animate Dead, of course 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:34 am

Haven't played either monster. Why are they favorites?

Portable Holes have never come up in my games yet.

Animate Dead? I should have known!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 pm
Rigon wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm
Tadhg wrote:

R-
Of course...it probably happened to anger just about every druid in the region over the damage to nature and the environment. Just how many cute helpless bunnies did all that falling rock crush after all? :lol:
At that point, the PCs didn't care. :lol:
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:

maximus wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:28 pm
Taken from folklore of SE Asia, the penanggalan is a great variation of the vampire! I like how it doesn't adhere to the gothic sexiness / emo of modern interpretations of vampires seen in film and art. The original write up in the AD&D Fiend Folio reached out to me long ago. In an AD&D campaign I ran many years ago, the PCs ended up staying in Saltmarsh after dealing with the smugglers. One of the town elders ("granny") was the elderly wife of one of the older town leaders. Granny was always baking pies and cakes and pickling various foods. Granny's interactions with the various party members were always sweet, slightly humorous, and always helpful. After a trip out of town for festival in a neighboring town, it was eventually discovered she had returned as a penanggalan responsible for the deaths of several townsfolk and the "white fever" (sickness with pale appearance) spreading through the community. Granny lead the party on quite the chase before the numbers caught up with her and the PCs ended her existence. The party later traveled to Monmurg, the capital of the Holds of the Sea Princes, for other business. Had they remained for a lengthy stay, they would have eventually discovered signs of the "white fever" in the city and possibly encountered the penaggalan who killed granny.

The sons of rhealth are conversions of the AD&D Fiend Folio's sons of kyuss which are horrifyingly disgusting critters. Over the decades I've used the sons of rhealth/kyuss in several encounters, usually in conjunction with a trap, but don't remember ever having a PC being converted into one of their number. As mentioned elsewhere, I have craptastic luck with the dice.
maximus wrote:
Portable Holes have never come up in my games yet.
Extremely useful item!
maximus wrote:
IndEEEEEEEd. 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:33 am
maximus wrote:
IndEEEEEEEd. 8-)
Do animated dead get to vote in elections?

Could explain a lot..

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

paladinn wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:21 am

Could explain a lot..
Sounds like you have something on your mind. Don't be shy. Go ahead.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

1. For power an NPC, for fun a rust monster, for new threats, something not seen like The Former Priest of Virtue (an original adventure coming to you soon).
2. Ring of Evasion plus Boots of Striding and Jumping
3. Animate Dead for clerics and color spray or prismatic spray for arcane (lvl dependent).

'Cause, you can't choose just one...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Captain_K wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:33 pm
1. For power an NPC, for fun a rust monster, for new threats, something not seen like The Former Priest of Virtue (an original adventure coming to you soon).
2. Ring of Evasion plus Boots of Striding and Jumping
3. Animate Dead for clerics and color spray or prismatic spray for arcane (lvl dependent).

'Cause, you can't choose just one...
I hadn't considered an NPC for this, but that's interesting. I do have a recurring NPC nemesis the party loves to hate.

Interesting combo. Had to look the ring up.

I have never had a party use Animate Dead. Might have to consider it going forward.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:33 am
Ancalagon wrote:

maximus wrote:
Taken from folklore of SE Asia, the penanggalan is a great variation of the vampire! I like how it doesn't adhere to the gothic sexiness / emo of modern interpretations of vampires seen in film and art. The original write up in the AD&D Fiend Folio reached out to me long ago. In an AD&D campaign I ran many years ago, the PCs ended up staying in Saltmarsh after dealing with the smugglers. One of the town elders ("granny") was the elderly wife of one of the older town leaders. Granny was always baking pies and cakes and pickling various foods. Granny's interactions with the various party members were always sweet, slightly humorous, and always helpful. After a trip out of town for festival in a neighboring town, it was eventually discovered she had returned as a penanggalan responsible for the deaths of several townsfolk and the "white fever" (sickness with pale appearance) spreading through the community. Granny lead the party on quite the chase before the numbers caught up with her and the PCs ended her existence. The party later traveled to Monmurg, the capital of the Holds of the Sea Princes, for other business. Had they remained for a lengthy stay, they would have eventually discovered signs of the "white fever" in the city and possibly encountered the penaggalan who killed granny.

The sons of rhealth are conversions of the AD&D Fiend Folio's sons of kyuss which are horrifyingly disgusting critters. Over the decades I've used the sons of rhealth/kyuss in several encounters, usually in conjunction with a trap, but don't remember ever having a PC being converted into one of their number. As mentioned elsewhere, I have craptastic luck with the dice.
maximus wrote:
Sounds like a creature I should look into. I also do not like the more recent versions of the vampire. Sexy, misunderstood, semi-good creatures? Not so much.

I do like the sons of kyuss but have never used them. Unlike some others, I did like the original Fiend Folio. Had some junk in there, but some pretty cool monsters too.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:13 am
paladinn wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:21 am

Could explain a lot..
Sounds like you have something on your mind. Don't be shy. Go ahead.
Nah.. probably caused enough trouble as-is.. lol

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I use animate dead to walk fallen enemies and comrades alike to their graves. Heck they can dig their own graves. very utilitarian.

My most recent use was against a bunch of cloud giant's... having their two front row fighter stand, shed their flesh, pick up their magic weapons and attack their queen. creepy yes, but they were already dead by our paladin. compare that to a druid calling living animals to die, or a wizard summoning creatures from somewhere to die. why using a dead enemy's body to do your fighting rather than bringing innocents into the mix is "bad" always puzzled me.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Heh...social norms. Animating dead would be seen as extremely bad taste and raise suspicion of being a necromancer. Using dead monsters or animals against their own kind would be looked down on, but accepted. Using people...must be an evil bugger or someone at risk of falling to evil and whom should be watched...closely...then dealt with appropriately when, not if, they crossed the line. At least how it would likely be viewed by John Q Public and possibly those in the seats of government.

Psychologically speaking, animals and monsters are 'not real' as it were. I mean they are real...but they're not people and therefore it's only natural they are cannon fodder. But using people? Only someone morally corrupt and mentally defective would do something so...wrong and against the natural order.

Desecration of the dead would offend clerics and paladins alike in some religions...and if dealing with a deity that presided over death, would gain the user an implacable enemy for the effrontery to that particular religion and deity for the infringement upon their domain. I actually had this happen to the party my character was in and we spent as much time dodging fanatical death cultists, assassins, and such as we did plundering dungeons and completing monster subjugation quests.

So depending on the setting...the Animate Dead spell can be quite the loaded cannon per se.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Monster - goblin. If using extraneous material, the boggle or nilbog. The former because they can be reskinned in any way imaginable. I personally use them as technicians so they're more like "stereotype gnomes" from an ancient tech world. They fear magic. The other two because they are great shockers... nilbogs can be quite fun though they have to be used sparingly and carefully.

Magic item - wand of wonders. I prefer random to predictable, overall.

Spell - depends on the DM, actually, but anything with an effect similar to wish, limited wish, alter reality, dream, miracle... etc. Those "do everything and it is real" type things.