Oriental Codices?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Oriental Codices?

Post by Go0gleplex »

It's been a long while since the Egyptian Codex and I know the author had been looking at doing a trio of Oriental based Codices; wondering if those plans went up in smoke or if things are silently in works within the shadows.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Oriental Codices?

Post by Captain_K »

I heard him state he would do them too.

I have not found much use for them personally, even the Norse one which is my thing.

I doubt I will find much use for the asian cultures... despite loving them also.

I guess I'm happy to wait and see what shakes loose...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I'm in the same boat. Even though I have analogues for several Asian cultures in my campaign, I'm not sure I'd use any codices since I find Briann Young's writing way too dense.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Update: In a twitch broadcast from a couple months ago, Steve mentioned that he had received versions of codices for China, Korea, and Mongolia. So those might not be too far away.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Cool. So we might see them in about three to five years. :P lol

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah; in the same AMA episode Steve was talking about the upcoming Aufstrag expansions. So don't start holding your breath just yet. I'm still impatiently waiting for the Adventurers Spellbook myself.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Oh...I'm not. When they switched focus to 5e products from C&C support...I gave up on any future products at that point. And I'm not even considering the Adventurer's Spellbook. Sounds like another disappointment/rehashed consolidation of stuff I already have for the most part. I'm quite happy with my own 110 pages of spells beyond the books. ;)

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:52 pm
Oh...I'm not. When they switched focus to 5e products from C&C support...I gave up on any future products at that point. And I'm not even considering the Adventurer's Spellbook. Sounds like another disappointment/rehashed consolidation of stuff I already have for the most part. I'm quite happy with my own 110 pages of spells beyond the books. ;)
To me, making stuff for 5e is the gaming equivalent of collaborating with the enemy if you already have your own system. Presumably the stuff sells, which must be the rationale, but I say you should have confidence in your own system and support that.

As for the spellbook, I know it's a compilation, but having messed around with stuff in three books for the past couple years, I want all my spells in one place. So I'll snatch that up. On the other hand, I found the character classes supplement pretty useless because it didn't have equipment lists. So you still needed the other books. For now I'm still forgoing the new printings of the core books, at least until my existing ones get too beat up.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I saw a post of Facebook about the NPC Almanac and the Spellbook yesterday or today. They are both getting ready to ship. I got my email for tracking for the NPC Almanac this morning. I would assume the Spellbook Kickstarter stuff is shipping soon, if it isn't going out now.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Cool; I missed the KS so I'll swoop in and purchase the spellbook once it's in the Troll Lord online shop. I've already got a backlog of items in my cart since I've got a coupon so I want to maximize it!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Persimmon wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 am
Go0gleplex wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:52 pm

As for the spellbook, I know it's a compilation, but having messed around with stuff in three books for the past couple years, I want all my spells in one place. So I'll snatch that up. On the other hand, I found the character classes supplement pretty useless because it didn't have equipment lists. So you still needed the other books. For now I'm still forgoing the new printings of the core books, at least until my existing ones get too beat up.
Same here. I want all the spells in one place. The PHB doesn't have enough variety by itself compared to the 1E PHB. I have the 4th - 7th versions in hard cover and 8th in pdf. No more handbooks for me either.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Persimmon wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 am

To me, making stuff for 5e is the gaming equivalent of collaborating with the enemy if you already have your own system. Presumably the stuff sells, which must be the rationale, but I say you should have confidence in your own system and support that.
I, from a business stand point understand it, but I'm not a fan of it myself. I played C&C because it was not 3e, and play it because it is not 5e. I would prefer they more focused on C&C, but if the money is in 5e, then they have to put out things in 5e.

As for the Oriental Codices, China may be interesting, not a lot of interest in Kore, but Mongolia shoud be good, Especially if the focus on Transoxonia is covered.

If not I wish they would do one on that area and E Persia. I've always wanted to do a campaign in that area ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

do we know the author of these new three?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Brian Young; same gent that wrote the others. He's of Korean descent himself and a history prof. if I remember our conversation about the Oriental Codices a few years back correctly.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Me to, I called him out on "you can't do them all"... and he said, "yes I can"... not sure where he gets the time.

I love the idea of them all, just so hard to get to that level of detail in use... likely me, but I would love a light version of each, much like the old Dieties and DemiGods... one or two pages up front then each god... super helpful.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Japan would be a major challenge...considering there are 5 million deities in the Shinto religion. ;) southeast asia down around 'nam and cambodia etc. would be interesting too considering Angkor Wat and all of the holy emblems on the family graves I saw in the highlands of 'nam that resemble the swastika (but have been there for many many years before WWII)

I actually appreciate the in depth writing Brian does. It is easier to place the pantheons in context with the proper background and honestly, how many folks look at much of that and don't just skip ahead to the deities, creatures, spells, and items? Lots more than the ones bothering to read the crunch I'm certain. ;) lol

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

The swastika is just a Buddhist symbol for the Wheel of Karma/Law. It also represents prosperity & life itself in the sense of "paying it forward." You see it all over Asia. It's also used to denote vegetarian (Buddhist) restaurants.

As for Brian Young's writing, I'm not a fan. I appreciate the lore, but don't need that much detail for my fantasy RPGs. But given that there's not much Asian mythological RPG content out there, I may still end up buying the codices. We'll see.