Giant Scorpions in C&C?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mostrojoe
Red Cap

Giant Scorpions in C&C?

Post by mostrojoe »

I was delving in a 90s AD&D adventure module, and one of encounters included a giant scorpion. So I get the M&T manual to check the C&C statistics but... it's me or there is not the giant scorpion as a monster? It seems weird because it is almost a classic!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Giant Scorpions in C&C?

Post by Rigon »

Check the Classic Monsters book?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

One thing that has been missed a lot is that Scorpions can detect invisible and hidden corporeal creatures. Anything that disturbs the air. Quote from zoology: "Scorpions have such sensitive hairs on their pedipalps that they can even locate and snap up an insect in flight." If you can't find the official; here's my adaptation for the Giant Scorpion.

SCORPION, GIANT
These are monster-sized arachnids can be found nearly anywhere that is not frozen year around, mainly underground or in protected hollows, and exist in many colors. Ranging from 12-inches long (small) to up to twelve-feet long (large) they are deadly hunters, carnivorous through and through.

Size Small Medium Large
HD 1 (d8)/ 2 (d8)/ 5 (d8)
Move 30-ft/ 30-ft/ 40-ft
AC 14/ 15/ 16
Attacks 2 x Claw (1d3), Sting (1d2 + poison)/ 2 x Claw (1d4+1), Sting (1d3 + poison)/ 2 x Claw (1d8+2), Sting (1d6 + poison)

Special Poison (Type I-VI)
Darkvision 60-ft
Tremorsense 60-ft

Saves P
Int Animal
Type Vermin Vermin Vermin
Treasure Nil
XP 11+1/ 22+1/ 180+5
No. Appearing 2-5 or colony (2-12)/ Solitary, 1-4, or colony (2-8)/ Solitary or colony
(1-6)

Pin – If both claw attacks hit, the victim must make a STR check or be pinned to the ground. The scorpion automatically hits with its sting each round the victim remains pinned.

Tremorsense – The giant scorpion is able to detect ground vibrations and the fine hairs all over its body are extremely sensitive to air movements. It is impossible to sneak up on a giant scorpion while invisible or otherwise.

Poison Type 1st Save 2nd Save Duration
I 1d2 - -
II 1d3 -1 to attributes, nausea 1-4 hours
III 1d4 1d2, -1 to attributes, cramping 2-8 hours

IV 1d8 1d4, -2 to attributes,
Nausea & cramping 1-3 days
V 2d8 1d8, -3 to attributes,
Coma 2-8 days
VI 2d12 Death -
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

No real game effects here but scorpions are technically arachnids like spiders, not insects.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Rigon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 am

R-
It's been merged with the M&T manual 2 years ago!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

mostrojoe wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 am
Rigon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 am

R-
It's been merged with the M&T manual 2 years ago!
Well, I quite rebuying every core book printing when I got the 6th printing. So it's still 2 books.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Rigon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:45 pm
Well, I quite rebuying every core book printing when I got the 6th printing. So it's still 2 books.

R-
There is no "Scorpion, Giant" entry in the M&T manuals.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

If I remember right, the giant scorpion was in one of the modules or supplements; never in any of the main books. If you have the Amazing Adventure Manual of Monsters, it has an entry for Giant Scorpion.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I hadn't noticed … I guess I'm so used to using 1e books for monsters etc (well except for dragons in 1e) and just converting them as I play.

I do prefer monsters like spiders scorpions wasps etc especially for lower lever players. Well all of them except ant lions … for some reason (and I won't name names here Ri?on) ant lions that kill my character in 2 rounds are not my preferred monster ever ;-)

For my girls face to face game, it is more Tolkienish and lower magic than most settings, I have used large insects and versions of prehistoric animals, and human brigands as the main monsters so far. They have loved it !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The old 1st ed dnd giant scorpion (art work tells the story and is likely what your subconcious really misses) was 5d8+5 hp, AC 3 which is plate mail-like, grabs and holds one victim with two d10 claws then stings for d4 + poison, again and again till that meal is dead, which does not take long as its a poison save with each sting attack is instant death. normally I would have this simple mind do that, focus on a single random meal. When the party, like annoying little ants gangs up on the scorpion, then it can drop its meal and defend against up to three attack sources. Still just a scorpion for tactics brains, etc. Likely flee at half hit points... interesting to note, "will die from its own poison".. must have been clever player's that got it to sting itself with illusion or fast moving thief on its back back in the GG days.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.