Are there new contents in the CKG 3rd Printing?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mostrojoe
Red Cap

Are there new contents in the CKG 3rd Printing?

Post by mostrojoe »

I have read a review of the new CKG. It seems the real changes are just cosmetics and the addictions are purely represented by just new art.

Someone has bought it yet? I was hoping for some new contents and perhaps a review of some of the old material.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Are there new contents in the CKG 3rd Printing?

Post by Captain_K »

I know some things were updated, fixed, new art, but I really am not sure on new content, sorry.

For me, its good to support the game so it remains, but you are right, do I really need another CKG.

For me, it will be the matched set in leather.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

There is new material in the book. The previous version of the CKG was 352 pages and the new one is 365 pages... that doesn't seem that different until you consider that they also removed 18 pages of the class info from the CKG and put it into the PHB. So the CKG is not only 16 pages longer than the last printing, but is actually 31 pages longer. There is more than new art and layout that accounts for that page difference.

Among others there is additional information on:
1) mana/spell points, counterspelling, and faith-based spellcasting in chapter 2
2) expert backbacks in chapter 3
3) hiring magical services in chapter 4
4) sample maps of each size community and fortress in chapter 6
5) guilds added to chapter 10
6) an expanded index

Is it worth it? That is for any individual to decide, of course... for me, it totally is worth it since C&C is my preferred fantasy system.

Also, like Captain_K, I went in for the leather cover to match my leather PHB.
~DMSamuel
---

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

I think I'll wait. At least until the new PHB.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

So is the next version of the PH in the works? I note the CKG is using a new branding and title style, and i like my books to be consistent.

-Fizz

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Yes, the 8th printing of the PHB is going to print next week. It has the new logo and text styling on the cover. The cover art is an homage to the 1st edition AD&D PHB, just as the cover art of the new CKG is an homage to the 1st edition AD&D DMG.
~DMSamuel
---

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

And the new CKG doesn't have the option of the previous branding style (as per 7th printing of PH or current M&T), correct?

So if i want the new CKG, i get the new branding style, which in turn means i have to get the 8th printing of the PH and the alternate M&T to match.

The Trolls be devious... :)

-Fizz

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Fizz wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:00 pm
And the new CKG doesn't have the option of the previous branding style (as per 7th printing of PH or current M&T), correct?

So if i want the new CKG, i get the new branding style, which in turn means i have to get the 8th printing of the PH and the alternate M&T to match.

The Trolls be devious... :)

-Fizz
Sounds like I will be purchasing all 3 new books!

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

To be clear - so far they have not published an M&T with the new branding. As far as I can tell, they still have 5th printing M&T in stock and they don't tend to make new printings until the old one has declined in stock enough to warrant an entire print run.

I do suspect, though, that they will order a new one soon and it will have the new branding - Jason Walton has already finished what will likely be the cover art and it is an homage to the 1e AD&D Monster Manual...
~DMSamuel
---