Joy of Random Rolls

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Red Cap

Joy of Random Rolls

Post by Persimmon »

So today I was finishing up the first level of a megadungeon and the time came to roll treasure for the big boss of this level, a true giant (MTA) king. And of course the first roll on the magic item table comes up artifact! So I rolled on that table and came up with Sharanga, the Bow of Vishnu. As it turns out, this worked since I had already determined that the giant king was a collector of weapons of defeated foes and his private chambers contained a whole rack of masterwork weapons.

In the case of the artifact since the dungeon in question was an ancient Elven citadel along the lines of Menegroth or Nargathrond, I just presumed that the bow was left over from that era, having been a gift to one of the ancient Elven kings for some great service. I decided to hide it in plain sight, integrated high up on the wall into a giant battle mosaic. So the party might not even notice it since it's not with the other weapons. But I love how random rolls can spark the creativity and fit right into the story.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Grandpa
Red Cap

Re: Joy of Random Rolls

Post by Grandpa »

This is why all C&C CKs should read the original DM advice from Gygax. NEVER randomly introduce Artifacts as treasure.

Persimmon
Red Cap

Post by Persimmon »

Actually, I love it in this case. This is an adventure for levels 12 & up, in an ancient Elven city, not some goblin lair. One of the hooks I wrote up indicated there were artifacts to be found therein. I already know where I'm putting the other one, which is an ancestral dwarven battle axe. Gotta fight the 2-headed Tuoth dragon to snag that puppy. So I'm not too worried about ruining game balance here.

Hell, Orcrist, Glamdring, and Sting were found in a random troll hole.

Though, now that I think of it, I'm not sure I ever randomly rolled an artifact before....
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Grandpa wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:12 pm
This is why all C&C CKs should read the original DM advice from Gygax. NEVER randomly introduce Artifacts as treasure.
Yes, sure, but don't look at the random magic tables where one can get one by dice result.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

serleran wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:37 pm
Grandpa wrote:
Yes, sure, but don't look at the random magic tables where one can get one by dice result.
You mean like the one in the ye olde Monsters & Treasure? :D

Grandpa
Red Cap

Post by Grandpa »

serleran wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:37 pm
Grandpa wrote:
Exactly, and you DO remember his lament over that mistake right? Or did you never read that????