Combined PHB & AB

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Combined PHB & AB

Post by Persimmon »

Just came across a combined paperback of the Players Handbook & Adventurers Backpack on a used bookstore site. Looks like they just bound them together one after the other. I don't recall having seen these anywhere before. Does anyone have one? Did they release any hardcovers? In theory I'd love something along these lines, though actually having everything fully integrated, like the spell lists would be better than just binding the two together as is. That's one reason I'm so keen on getting the Adventurer's Spellbook. I don't like having to flip through multiple books if it can be avoided.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Re: Combined PHB & AB

Post by Ancalagon »

Persimmon wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 pm
Just came across a combined paperback of the Players Handbook & Adventurers Backpack on a used bookstore site. Looks like they just bound them together one after the other. I don't recall having seen these anywhere before. Does anyone have one? Did they release any hardcovers? <snip>
I've not seen that combo.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I think there may have been a flip book of the PHB and AB at one time, I'm not sure about that though.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Persimmon wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 pm
Just came across a combined paperback of the Players Handbook & Adventurers Backpack on a used bookstore site. Looks like they just bound them together one after the other. I don't recall having seen these anywhere before. Does anyone have one? Did they release any hardcovers? In theory I'd love something along these lines, though actually having everything fully integrated, like the spell lists would be better than just binding the two together as is. That's one reason I'm so keen on getting the Adventurer's Spellbook. I don't like having to flip through multiple books if it can be avoided.
Yes, TLG did make a flipbook version of the PHB / ABP combined. It isn't formatted in a fully integrated way though - what I mean is, they didn't print them both together as one continuous reformatted text and combine the spells sections and class sections, etc. They simply printed the PHB as is, then printed the ABP on the other side of it, so when you have the PHB in front of you, you can flip through the 192 pages of the PHB. Then the next page is the last page of the ABP upside down. By the same token, they just printed the ABP as is, so when you have the ABP in front of you, you flip through the 144 pages of the ABP, then the next page is the last page of the PHB upside down.

Here are some pics so you can see what I mean:
Covers with flip showing:
ABP cover:
PHB Cover:
Last page of PHB (char sheet) next to last page of ABP (ogl):
Two random pages of the flip book so you can see one is upside down (and is made that way, not an accident):
~DMSamuel
---

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. I'll just wait for the Adventurers Spellbook, since that also has the stuff from Elemental Spells in it. In the meantime I might at least make master lists of all the spells so it's easier to see and randomly select them for scrolls and such.

By the way, does anyone know how different the character folio will be from the existing character classes compilation? If it will also include the higher level stuff that's going into the new PHB then combined with the omnibus spellbook it will be pretty close to what I'm looking for in a Player's Tome.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Yep, got one with some sort of backer level... lent it out, and sort of gave it away to someone playing one of the AB classes.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.