What gives??? The Boards are Alive again???

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

What gives??? The Boards are Alive again???

Post by Captain_K »

So why the resurgence to the boards? There for a while I thought they were just about dead.

Does anyone go to Knights of the Crusade pages too?

Love the new interest in these chats... fun,informative, etc...

Makes we want to write a Domesday....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Re: What gives??? The Boards are Alive again???

Post by Grandpa »

a couple months ago when I found this board I saw it was dead. I cast Resurrect Moribund Board on it

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I prefer boards over anything else. Facebook and Discord are too hard to follow or search for content.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

I lurk at a few other forums and subreddits, but this board is the only one I bothered making an account for. Was excited to see a C&C dedicated thread where the majority of topics are about playing the game, rules clarifications, and house rules.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Well then, ask some questions...

And Grandpa, if you did it thanks, but I think there is a bit too much piss and vinegar in you to be a grandpa just yet...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

I've been with C&C for many years so don't have any rule questions really. I lurked here when I first bought the game and learned far more from others questions asked and answered than I could from the questions I had, all of which were answered here anyway.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

I'm a big proponent of forums. So when I joined C&C I did my damndest to start posting here. I am happy to say it caught on and others joined in too.

I won't say I single-handedly resurrected it but, well, ya know ;)

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Happy to see the use spiking again.. Forums are also my favorite, so much easier to find thing that have been said.

-Mike

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I've always preferred forums over other forms of media as well. Discord is ok, but unless you're on there all the time, it's impossible to follow the chat.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:08 pm
I prefer boards over anything else. Facebook and Discord are too hard to follow or search for content.
Rgr that. I'm right there with you and Max.

Do my best to keep it limping along, but glad to see others joining in and keeping it alive around here !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

does anyone go to the Knight of the crusade forum?

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Not for some time...
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Been a C&C player and proponent for going on a decade and a half, and while I would contend that a certain decline in population and accompanying discussion is inevitable, I also contend that this game has an engine of such strength, depth and tension of drama that it'll keep going long after hot-young-gunslinger types have faded into the sunset. I would also argue that the current shutdown, which is going to likely hold on into fourth quarter this year, is inspiring people to turn toward entertainment resources that might have been bypassed otherwise. Much hope that RPGs, and C&C specifically, remain a subject of enjoyment and population growth (and every prediction we're going to see a contingent of Zoom-based players joining in here, if they haven't already), informing a new generation that fun ain't just something that comes from the algorithms coded into an XBox.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I don't post as much as I did in the beginning (2005ish), mainly because a lot of the things have been discussed or answered (with variations). Now I just kind of hang around, keep the peace, and answer a few questions as I'm able. I visit the boards almost everyday though, so it is nice to see more action going on.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Rigon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm
I don't post as much as I did in the beginning (2005ish), mainly because a lot of the things have been discussed or answered (with variations). Now I just kind of hang around, keep the peace, and answer a few questions as I'm able. I visit the boards almost everyday though, so it is nice to see more action going on.

R-
Same, I have been here since the old boards and there's not much left to really discuss. The downside to me is all the fan produced stuff that quit being made but the game has grown since then and we don't have as many blanks as we used to.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:

R-

Keep the peace, there is no need for that here. Not now not then not ever. We here have always been one big happy loving family that ALWAYS gets along ...... :mrgreen: :lol:

Rgr on a lot o questions and answers over the years, but even with that there is always a new rabbit to chase down, or an old one to re hash.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 am
Rigon wrote:

R-

Keep the peace, there is no need for that here. Not now not then not ever. We here have always been one big happy loving family that ALWAYS gets along ...... :mrgreen: :lol:
There's been a time or two when I've had to say something to people. It doesn't happen that often here (which I'm infinetly grateful for), but it does happen.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

I'd honestly be a touch concerned if conflicts didn't occur. If it was a case of this being an RPG echo chamber, with individuals simply stating the same points in slightly different terms, I don't think the game itself, let alone the boards or any supporting network, would have lasted past the first year or so. As others have stated, with greater articulation and fervor, it's not about whether we have a conflict; it's about how we conduct ourselves while pursuing it. Bringing opposing arguments to the table and acting like ladies and gentlemen, making clear what our viewpoints are, why we believe we're correct and establishing that we're willing to take the time and listen to the other side's logic is what leads, in my opinion, to growth in both sides' strength of argument and (in the case of this RPG) the validation of the game itself.

I don't have as wide an experience with gaming boards as many other people here do or have, but I can state that there have been a couple where someone made a statement - sometimes expressing a controversial opinion, other times just making a point - and online trolls took advantage of their anonymity and tried to show how "smart" they were by humiliating someone else. Those sort of events have been markedly absent from my years on the Troll Lords' forums, and I continue my hope that we can continue to argue - because that's part of life - while still holding both ourselves and other parties in esteem.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

There is only one other forum I've been on (AS&SH) that is as consistently civil and engaged with the game itself as this one. So many of the bigger forums quickly degenerate into trolling, politics, and personal attacks. And thankfully, because of the decision of the publisher to not keep revising the game every 3-5 years, we don't have to worry about edition wars around here.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It seems we always handled our disagreements pretty well. Yes things have gotten heated but it dies off pretty quick.
Lord Skystorm

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I only recall one seriously cranky guy Arduin, but I think he meant well, just not much patience for those he thought were fools.

Traveller seems to be the "sheriff" around these parts... what an odd old anglo-saxon word that is... breaks all the rules..

Anyway, I'm just happy we have some activity again.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Total subject change (brief, hopefully), but the term "sheriff" is actually a composite of two words. The British equivalent of "county" (roughly) is "shire", and the person, traditionally, responsible for tax collection and law enforcement (I suppose, in a generally low-population, dispersed, pre-industrial, heavy agrarian setting these two were welded together for convenience's sake) was the "reeve". Thus, the person overseeing a district's law enforcement duties was the "shire reeve". Over time, centuries presumably, the two get welded together and shire reeve = shireeve = sheriff. Just one example of the endless linguistic games we have, and do, play with language, the biggest box of Lego that God ever gave the human race.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Telhawk wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:50 pm
Total subject change (brief, hopefully), but the term "sheriff" is actually a composite of two words. The British equivalent of "county" (roughly) is "shire", and the person, traditionally, responsible for tax collection and law enforcement (I suppose, in a generally low-population, dispersed, pre-industrial, heavy agrarian setting these two were welded together for convenience's sake) was the "reeve". Thus, the person overseeing a district's law enforcement duties was the "shire reeve". Over time, centuries presumably, the two get welded together and shire reeve = shireeve = sheriff. Just one example of the endless linguistic games we have, and do, play with language, the biggest box of Lego that God ever gave the human race.
Rgr that, and that is why I love using real world language groups in the games.

JG, rgr for the most part we handle disagreements better than most. Everyone in a while I dig into a new game or dig into other versions of D&D and it always surprises me just how much it turns into trolls and I'm right you are stupid arguments. It is one reason I stay here like I do !

Persinmmon / Rigon - Rgr that. With me cobbling together my home brew for my girls, I've been digging through some ole threads and re-saw some of the sideways arguments. … good times :twisted:

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I can't recall any arguments going over the top here. Folks here are pretty respectful and civil. Total opposite of many other places.

wasgreg
Skobbit

Post by wasgreg »

Started a C&C campaign shortly after the new year. I was looking for something more old school without actually going back to AD&D or Second edition. I knew some new players might enter the mix, and wanted a class system over a a skill based system with relatively ease of learning. Though Hackmaster was high on my list of contenders, I didn't feel it was easy for newblets. I had gotten C&C years ago on Drive thru, looked it over and said YES! But the world of Airdhe didn't feel comfy for me yet. So I joined the forums to browse and learn. Yay! ( Aside, the campaign is going great, and starting A1 with 3 new players and none lost thru attrition!!!)

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Every congratulations, wasgreg, and I have every expectation that it was C&C's very robust old-school system (along with good CKing, no doubt :)) that has contributed to continued game commitment. Re the Airdhe passover: during the course of my RPGing life - over forty years now - the only published setting that I've ever worked in is Gary Gygax's World of Greyhawk. With several others, it's been a case of, "Yeah, we'll steal bits x. yand zand work them into our custom setting," (which I don't think any serious game-designers would have any problem with) and go from there. Just as a by-the-way, there have been a couple of game systems where I've dispensed completely with "established chronological canon" after the game's "start" point to avoid getting locked into someone else telling ourgames for us.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Wasgreg, welcome, great group to help you here (and to be helped by you).... we all have our ever changing rolls we can play if we get involved.

I'll plug HISTORY as a FRG world for you, all the cultures, all the countries, maps and such... use them and just alter history to make all the fantasy lay down on top and become your real world, all you players will know something about it, all the Gods be they Zeus, Thor, or Ra can be research and read about... think about it Egypt at its height along with Greece, the Norse, and the Celts...

But in the end, have fun, rule one.