Dungeons of Aufstrag

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Dungeons of Aufstrag

Post by Persimmon »

So I know that the Dungeons of Aufstrag boxed set only covers the first five levels of Aufstrag. Does it offer any clues as to what's in the other levels, even names of them? My presumption is that it will be a long time before anything official might come out, given the huge number of things currently in the pipeline for the Trolls. But it might be cool to have some ideas to expand it on your own. Not that I really need another megadungeon. I just love reading them so I'll probably snag this regardless.

Over the past couple years our group has dabbled in Barrowmaze, Archaia, HighFell, Rappan Athuk, and Tegel Manor, though they didn't really finish any of them. Just played a few sessions until too many PCs died or they got tired of the setting. Mostly the same players but we play different games with different systems depending on our moods, if that makes and sense. The Swords and Wizardry party is technically still in Rappan Athuk, though we have been playing other campaigns lately, including some C&C tonight.

But now I have the urge to check out Aufstrag.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Dungeons of Aufstrag

Post by Persimmon »

Ended up pulling the trigger on the second two boxed sets when the wife told me our stimulus funds had been deposited in our account. And I realized today that one of the few advantages of living in Mississippi is that we're close to Arkansas. So that means I get my Troll Lords loot a bit faster!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Some of the best dungeons I've ever seen. The Trolls did an outstanding job creating these. Hope you and your group have a great time with them.

Enjoy the game,

T
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

They seem pretty bad-ass to be sure.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've concocted what I think is a pretty cool backstory to transport Aufstrag to a location known as the Dire Fens in my homebrew world. It was perfect in the sense that I hadn't used this particular location for anything else over the years. I had just wanted a swampy area somewhere on the map. So that's where Aufstrag appears after a three week storm conjured by the Penanggalan High Priestess of Unklar....

Right now I plan on filling in the last 16 levels of Aufstrag myself, but it would be great if Steve published more of it. It's basically his Silmarillion from what I gather.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

FYI, the Trolls published levels A13 - A17 in the Umbrage Saga Part 3 - so you'd only have to fill in the last 5.

:-)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I wish, but I have A13-17 and they only cover the first 5 levels of the actual citadel of Aufstrag. So I'll be doing the last 16 levels myself, unless Stephen, with all his free time, starts cranking out the rest of it. I almost feel like Christopher Tolkien.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks for your replies!

I think I might be confused as I'm looking at the PDF and trying to remember what I read a few years back. The Aufstrag dungeon is HUGE and the Citadel is very big as well (and all the other areas). The Trolls have "wards" and such and levels within.

And I've been reviewing an older free preview called Aufstrag Preludes (which mostly matches the Part 3 release.

I'm going to find my paper/book copy and re-read.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Started reading A13-17 last night. Plenty to cover and plenty to work with. But damn, my old eyes can't read those maps very well. Do they have pdf versions you can download? Otherwise I'll just photocopy and enlarge whenever we actually get to playing which is a long way off considering where we are now.

And I realize now that the tunnels aren't detailed at all, either. So I think I'll make up some of my own stuff for that, but also drop Stonehell in there since we haven't played that yet. Should be easy to make it work given the scope of Aufstrag and the vagueness of the Stonehell back story. This will make for a Hell (literally & figuratively) of a mega-dungeon.