How do you handle multi-classing?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

How do you handle multi-classing?

Post by slimykuotoan »

For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: How do you handle multi-classing?

Post by Lurker »

Well I'm running AA Masque of Red death, and one of the players just picked up mentalist as a 2nd class.

Now by the book, from now on half his exp should go into Pugilist (his 1st class) and half should go into his 2nd class. Unless of course you are using class and 1/2 rules

However, I'm a little more lenient & I'll let him put the exp into which ever class he wants to, or I'm putting part of the exp into a specific class if his role playing / or critical events and heroic successes by 1 specific class' abilities is key to the success of the group. In general it should be 1/2 in each, but it can be more fluid than that.

That way if the player want's to become more and more focused on his mental abilities, and less focused on his rock em sock em punch abilities he can develop his character down that path.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I don't allow multi-classing anymore. I like the simplicity and cleanness of one character, one class.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I just roll hit points, add Con and divide by number of classes.

Other than that the character gets the best of all classes, as per ad&d.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

When running C&C, I don't use multi-classing. As Kayolan said, I prefer one character, one class. However, if a player proposes something creative and compelling that works within the class-and-a-half structure and also fits well within the campaign then I might allow it.

If I'm running AD&D then I go by the book with regard to multi-classing.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

I use the multi-class rules from the PHB

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The PHB is pretty straight forward for multi-class and the class and a half... the half class does start to fall pretty far behind in its class abilities and it forces much more math as to what roll and bonus is what.

the rules for what classes go with what are reasonable..

(fixed and deleted, had to go, sorry for delay)
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Kayolan & Ancalagon

I understand the simplicity of not allowing multi class character, and can see the allure of that (yes it would make things so much more simple).

However, I believe the world is more complex so that is reflected in my games. Also I am a habitual fiddler and tinker with the rules so I have to mix and match and change things by the book to see if it works or not. That is a benefit of C&C and the siege based games, you can tinker to your hearts desire and it is very hard to break the game system.

That said, I by no means think it is wrong for anyone to run the game like you do. If you like simple go for it, if you like complex go for it, if you like middle of the road (where I lean toward) go for it. What ever you and your group prefer play and enjoy !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

I use the multiclass rules of C&C. In this moment, a pre-generated elf charachter of a D&D old module has been converted in a fighter-wizard. It really works.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

mostrojoe wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:56 pm
I use the multiclass rules of C&C. In this moment, a pre-generated elf charachter of a D&D old module has been converted in a fighter-wizard. It really works.
Cool, I've not done that. Glad it works ok.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:09 pm
Kayolan & Ancalagon

I understand the simplicity of not allowing multi class character, and can see the allure of that (yes it would make things so much more simple).

However, I believe the world is more complex so that is reflected in my games. Also I am a habitual fiddler and tinker with the rules so I have to mix and match and change things by the book to see if it works or not. That is a benefit of C&C and the siege based games, you can tinker to your hearts desire and it is very hard to break the game system.

That said, I by no means think it is wrong for anyone to run the game like you do. If you like simple go for it, if you like complex go for it, if you like middle of the road (where I lean toward) go for it. What ever you and your group prefer play and enjoy !
I do some fiddling as well. I have well over a dozen Word docs for house rules on separate topics in the game. I'm not ready to start a campaign with them yet but the day will come... :lol:

As for the simplicity of disallowing multiclassing, I look at it from the approach that adventurers spend the bulk of their training / apprenticeship / term of choice focusing on one area of development. E.g. a squire is training to become a knight, among the commoners a cobbler works on shoes, a smith works his forge, etc. They aren't equally adept at multiple disciplines. Characters might pick some knowledge & skills in other areas but the primary class / skill set is dominant so I go to class-and-a-half for such characters.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Grandpa wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:03 pm
mostrojoe wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:56 pm
Cool, I've not done that. Glad it works ok.
It works very well. The only thing is that, obviously, the elf must not wear an armor if he wants to cast spells. But I gave him the "Shield" spell to compensate.
Anyway, the player has chosen to bring with him a chainmail vest tied to the backpack. When he's out of spells he wears it.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I use Class and Half rules from the PHB. No full multi class. I prefer the dominate class archetype.

-Mike

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Kayolan wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 am
I don't allow multi-classing anymore. I like the simplicity and cleanness of one character, one class.
You're one mean DM...:)

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Why a wizard-fighter can use the armor to launch a fireball and a fighter-wizard cannot?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

maximus wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 am
Kayolan wrote:

I also only allow the 1st-3rd printings of the PHB at my table 8-)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My multiclassing rules can be found in my House Rules link in my sig.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I've never played a multiclass player. Would like to try in the next new game. Or maybe the class and a half.

AntiquarianAspirant
Ungern

Post by AntiquarianAspirant »

Kayolan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm
maximus wrote:
Kayolan wrote:

What changes does that entail? ...Or prevent, I suppose.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

AntiquarianAspirant wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:21 pm
Kayolan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm
maximus wrote:
Kayolan wrote:

What changes does that entail? ...Or prevent, I suppose.
The main difference is the barbarian class and the illusionist spells. The illusionist spell list was expanded in the 4th printing (adding CLW to the list was the most divergent change imo) and the barbarian class was completely rewritten, the one before was more of a berserker. Also there are small details that are different, like the rules for unarmed combat, some of the stats on the weapon tables, and some spells, like barkskin can be used to turn your enemy into a tree for example. Also there aren't any rules for multi-classing in the 1st-3rd printings of the PHB.

AntiquarianAspirant
Ungern

Is healing really so limited in C&C that such a change even registers to people? All my gaming days we've just bought wands of CLW and handed them out to cleric and rogue alike (though that was 3E with Use Magic Device) for very easy and cheap healing, albeit out of combat.

Does the Berserker from the Crusader's Companion reflect the pre-4th printing Barbarian? I noticed that C&C Barbarian is a different (and fun) take on the class and when I saw the Berserker it made me wonder.

Was the unarmed combat simpler than what's there now? I have to say I find the unarmed combat rules fairly underwhelming as they are now.

Were the weapons more interesting back then? I noticed that in the current printing, the bolas of all things is... Just a bludgeoning ranged weapon, and weapons in general don't seem to vary much beyond damage and weight.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

AntiquarianAspirant wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:58 pm
Is healing really so limited in C&C that such a change even registers to people? All my gaming days we've just bought wands of CLW and handed them out to cleric and rogue alike (though that was 3E with Use Magic Device) for very easy and cheap healing, albeit out of combat.
In traditional AD&D magic item stores are not envisioned. Magic items aren't considered commodities. One either finds them on an adventure or makes them. I'm not saying some DMs didn't have such stores back in the day but it was against how the game was envisioned to be played per Gygax. Maybe in a city the size of Rome or the like one might find some minor items for sale at high prices. But certainly not like you have played per your post.
C&C continues that view.

AntiquarianAspirant
Ungern

Okay, that certainly explains it a bit. Thank you.

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

How do you handle the fighter/wizard class and a half?
I've seen that one combination can cast spell in armor, the other does not. Do you follow this indication? If not, there are problems?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

mostrojoe wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:30 am
How do you handle the fighter/wizard class and a half?
I've seen that one combination can cast spell in armor, the other does not. Do you follow this indication? If not, there are problems?

Perhaps it's only if fighter is your half class and not your full class that you cannot wear armor and cast spells at the same time? That would sort of make sense to me as the half class of fighter isn't your main class.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I ask the player what they want - abilities, when, power level, etc. and then use my system to create a new class for them. If it ends being too powerful, we modify as needed to align with the other players.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Just use the rules in the PHB, but only demi-humans can multi-class. Helps set them apart and is a nod to the fact that I enforce class restrictions for demi-humans.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:45 pm
Just use the rules in the PHB, but only demi-humans can multi-class. Helps set them apart and is a nod to the fact that I enforce class restrictions for demi-humans.
Good idea if you impose class restrictions.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

If you really want to blow up the class system, check out Expanding Classes for C&C: https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/C ... p/69621045

wasgreg
Skobbit

Post by wasgreg »

I use expanding classes method from the book of the same name. I do not allow any of the other forms of multi classing. I like how the secondary class is more limited AND caps lower than the full version. It works for my virtual gaming table. Interestingly, the players that are long time gaming just grab one class, it is the new players that are attracted to the multi classes in my current group.