Oriental Adventures

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Oriental Adventures

Post by slimykuotoan »

Is it possible to incorporate samurai, shugenga, etc into C&C?

Anyone tried this?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

I started doing it, but Real Life intruded Well, anyway, it is not so difficult, since the classes and races are quite straightforward. When I have time, I want to start again with the project...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I too have thought about this, just an odd thought that popped up the last few days. I know there is a good write up somewhere here for a ninja, so the idea is out there. If you have the Old OA books, it should be an easy conversion.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wasn't there some mention, probably years ago now, that there was to be a Oriental Adventures book for C&C? Possibly ported over from the original MS or some such notion? I could have sworn I remember seeing that on the old boards.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Man, what I would not give to see Oriental Adventures resurrected and made part of the C&C compendium. The setting would have to be Kara-Tur; that *expletive deleted* Rogkugan crap that was cobbled together for the WotC abomination should be dispensed with and tossed on to the trash heap of bad memories.

That said, the Assassin class for C&C is just about what the doctor ordered in terms of putting together your basic ninja type; the only things that are missing from the description are the nekode and the ninja-to with the spool of black silk (suitable for strangulation) hidden inside the pommel, and that stuff can be pretty easily whipped together by a Castle Keeper with a copy of first/second edition OA on hand.

Of greater difficulty are the Kensai, Sohei, and especially the Yakuza. The Samurai are (somewhat) related to the Knight, but there would have to be more than a few tweaks to get those classes up and running in an equitable manner. My thought would be to use the Ninja/Assassin as a basis of comparison: see how the abilities for one compare to the other, and have that as a sort of standard from which to work.

Excellent topic, though; definitely one that would keep us house-rules types busy for months.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I actually love Rokugan, especially the L5R D10 version of it.

As for converting OA it should be as easy as converting anything else from that edition of D&D. Very.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

To some degree, why do we need new classes when C&C has like 13 to choose from?

Why change the Knight's code to reflect Bushido? or give the Assasin some exotic weapons? If you include multi-classing/dual classing, what can you not cover for an Asian themed game?

Perhaps the biggest thing change would be to tweak alignment into a quick and dirty honor system or just add an honor system in (ala Unearthed Arcana).

There's nothing wrong with new classes, but I'm the type of GM to squeeze as much as I can out of the core stuff before making new things. It turns out that most of the time a name change and new coat of paint does wonders.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, for one thing, if you have the OA books you can pretty much use the character classes as written, so it is no extra work. Requiring, or plain using, multi class rules generally bumps up xp requirements for levelling.

Unlike 3E, XP costs are a big thing that really slows down character progression at higher levels. Particularly from 8th level on it becomes very noticeable.

Plus having classes designed for the setting background are just much better at getting across the right story elements.

This is why I would do it with specifically designed classes, anyway.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The only class I can see a need for is ninja, because none of the C&C classes are close... there is monk which is close, assassin which is close, illusionist which is close, but nothing that ties it all together. Therefore, I just wrote my own version, and the rest I leave almost untouched.

Oh, and I'm still hopeful we'll see Francois Froideval's official version sometime.

Gnostic Gnoll
Ungern

Post by Gnostic Gnoll »

I'm with Treebore on all counts. Multiclassing is really, really slow; I'd rather just design a base class incorporating the elements I want and give it a normal XP progresion.

I think many of the base classes have a decidedly European slant to them, and while a few could be ported over with few problems--the rogue, assassin, and ranger come to mind--I'd be comfortable scrapping the barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, and paladin and filling in the gaps left behind with something else. What that something is... I'm considering. Or you can consider. I post these things in a public forum, so, you know.

On a side note, I notice that many Asian-influenced games use Japan as a base. Ninja, samurai, shugenja... I mean, obviously there was a bit of cultural overlap in some areas, but I'd be interested in seeing a purely Chinese- or Korean-based setting. Or Indian, for that matter.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
On a side note, I notice that many Asian-influenced games use Japan as a base. Ninja, samurai, shugenja... I mean, obviously there was a bit of cultural overlap in some areas, but I'd be interested in seeing a purely Chinese- or Korean-based setting. Or Indian, for that matter.

GG I agree. I LOVE Japan & Samurai, but there is a whole other side to the "Asian" world. Mongal hores riders etc etc..

I once had a group travel a "Marco Polo/Silk Road" area & it was a great game. This was years ago so don't have access to my notes (I'm PCSing there for celling my wife's house, so the house has to be decluttered, so all my game books & notes are now in odd boxes in storage) & they are all in 1 or 2e so I'd need to convert them. Plus after making a few trips to that area via GWOT there is alot of things I got wrong & need to correct any ways.......

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

Picked up the first edition oriental adventures today; gonna have a look.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Snaebjorn
Mist Elf

Post by Snaebjorn »

Chello!

I seem to recall Gary posting somewhere (Dragonsfoot, maybe?), that he had been in contact with the fellow who wrote the original OA (not the one that was published incidentally). He seemed to say that a C&C OA C&C was possible.

Tony

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Snaebjorn wrote:
Chello!

I seem to recall Gary posting somewhere (Dragonsfoot, maybe?), that he had been in contact with the fellow who wrote the original OA (not the one that was published incidentally). He seemed to say that a C&C OA C&C was possible.

Tony

Anything that would help increase the appeal of C&C is a good thing in my book. This would be one.

artemis wands
Ungern

Post by artemis wands »

I have a homebrew world for 3E OA, based on the Mongol Empire. One of these days, I'm gonna get around to converting it to C&C.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Quote:

This is the part where I went into a Homer Simpson "Oriental Adventures (head falls back with tongue hanging out)...gheehaaaraguh."

If the individual in question is Dave "Zeb" Cook - who recently came off of an unfortunately-short stint with Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes/Villains MMPOG (totally their loss) - I will be hanging around Troll Lords' office entrance, ready to jump out of a tree and Backstab X5 any individual who tries to interfere with this holy venture. Whatever the case, if it's got Mr. Gygax's seal of approval, I'm on it like white on rice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No, the original OA was not designed/written by a Cook of any kind.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

THREAD ARISE!

Has anyone tried them out? I'm looking at doing a Kozakura-based campaign, but the idea of importing classes doesn't really appeal to me at all. Some write-ups about how to make the existing classes fit into a Muromachi-period or pre-Toyotomi Japan, basically is what I'm looking at doing.

No, I'm not going to have a katana do 1d10 damage or split atoms and generate small nuclear explosions every time they hit someone because they're so sharp or any stupid crap like that. It seems like people seem to miss the point that the mighty awesome katanas were masterworks. Everybody else got the mass-made crap like warriors pretty much...everywhere got. Even the idea of a "ninja" class is highly unappealing to me, especially when most write-ups I've seen *ever* seem to be a rogue/thief class that works like an assassin, but not really, but have KEWL MAGICKAL POWERZ! No thanks.

The OA "Honor" system is...debatable to me. Mostly because I don't want my games to get bogged down on some post-L5R Bullshido debate, but I'm open to the concept. How does that exactly work out in play?

Thanks!

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

For a ninja, an assassin/rogue split class with the multiclassing rules of your choice seems like a solid option.

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

serleran wrote:
No, the original OA was not designed/written by a Cook of any kind.

I've never heard any of this before. Can you elaborate?

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Yamo wrote:
For a ninja, an assassin/rogue split class with the multiclassing rules of your choice seems like a solid option.

I was thinking it could be it's own class, combining features from the rogue, assassin, and monk (but no mystical-magical stuff).

-Fizz

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

Fizz wrote:
I was thinking it could be it's own class, combining features from the rogue, assassin, and monk (but no mystical-magical stuff).

-Fizz

If that's what you like. Personally, I have no problem with giving a ninja some of the monk's "magical" abilities in a fantasy game, but if you prefer something more realistic, that could still be fun to play.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Ninjas ARE magical in real life. They can fly, and do Jedi Mind Tricks, and I think they are immortals too. I'd have to check though.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Yamo wrote:
If that's what you like. Personally, I have no problem with giving a ninja some of the monk's "magical" abilities in a fantasy game, but if you prefer something more realistic, that could still be fun to play.

Yes, i was following up on PoH's post. I'd prefer a more realistic take as a whole.

-Fizz

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Yamo wrote:

Nah, part of the problem I have about combining ninjas and making them their own class is the familiarity I've had with the historical record where they were just...dudes, some samurai, some peasants. Magoichi Saika was considered a ninja/studied "ninjitsu", but fought set piece field battles, utilized matchlocks and had a band of mercenaries that utilized artillery. I'm almost tempted to allow rangers to have some flavor text that would allow them to be called "ninja" as part of their forte was guerrilla fighting/insurgency.

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

I guess some of us want history and other want Sho Kosugi movies.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Yamo wrote:
I guess some of us want history and other want Sho Kosugi movies.

I'm considering historical veracity for the ninja as a counter to months and months of "Real Ultimate Power" references.

Yamo
Hlobane Orc

Post by Yamo »

Prince of Happiness wrote:
I'm considering historical veracity for the ninja as a counter to months and months of "Real Ultimate Power" references.

Although if you've never checked it out the RUP book is hilarious.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Yamo wrote:
Although if you've never checked it out the RUP book is hilarious.

It pwns! I just wouldn't want to hear it over n' over n' over n' over.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

I think I will port over the 1E OA's Honor rules as that adds incentive to a more period mindset for what I'm looking to do.

Now for some other material, what's a general rule for converting 1E clerical spells over to C&C in regards to the level of the spell? This is in regards to 1E clerical spells going up to 7th level, while C&C has nine.