Quench spell & magic candles ?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Quench spell & magic candles ?

Post by Lurker »

So, I have restarted the Monday Night Ne'er-do-wells' Masque of Red Death Amazing Adventure game. With that, I am going over ideas for adventures down the road, and going through spells their opponents would have. That brought me to the quench spell

It extinguishes ALL non-magical flames in an area … Simple enough. Additionally it can focus on a single magic item that creates or controls flame & cancel that effect.

However, candles of protection etc, and spells like Fire of Passion (which creates a magic candle) may be a key factor at times. The candles themselves are magical, but the flame burning the candle is not magical itself.

If I remember correctly the magic candles explicitly state the flame can be extinguished by normal means.

With that, does the Quench spell extinguish the flames burning the magic candle ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Re: Quench spell & magic candles ?

Post by mgtremaine »

Love Quench :), I've never had to rule on that specific call but I would lean towards allowing it based on the level of Quench and how in the Druid's wheel house that would be.

-Mike

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I would rule that the flame is non-magical, therefore it can be extinguished by Quench. The candle itself being magical just means that it can last for an extreme amount of time without melting down, or the wick always takes even the smallest spark and lights... that doesn't change the fact that the flame itself is a normal flame that can be extinguished with a simple candle snuffer or a very strong wind.

Unless the magical candle is exuding a magical field that blocks anything from affecting the flame, then it doesn't stop the quench spell from working.
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play C&C in Aihrde: Epi 1, Epi 2
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sorry, all I can think of is those party candles... you blow them out just fine, but a second or so later they relight on their own... give the candle holder a roll to let it pop back to light without doing anything?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Grandpa
Ungern

Post by Grandpa »

Captain_K wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:51 am
Sorry, all I can think of is those party candles... you blow them out just fine, but a second or so later they relight on their own... give the candle holder a roll to let it pop back to light without doing anything?
Why? If the description says, " the flame can be extinguished by normal means." then there would be no magical relight.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Also note - the quench spell also works on one magical item, so if it is one candle, even magical with magical flame, the quench spell will still quench it.
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play C&C in Aihrde: Epi 1, Epi 2
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks for the replies

After re-reading the spell and paying attention to the level of the spell, I'm leaning toward it extinguishing the magic candle's flames.

Reading the write ups i can find on the candles, it makes it sound like the 'magic' is stored in the candle and released as the candle burns. Nothing makes it seem like the flame itself is inherently magical.

So with that, the spell should snuff out the little candle flame with no problem. Of course the candle itself may be causing an effect that will block a spell in its area, or a careful caster using the candle may have set up protections. so there could be times that the quench has to be focused on a single magical fire to put it out.

That said, I do like the visual of Capt K's idea with the candle relighting like the party candle. If it wasn't a horror game, I would run with that idea and let the party use a prestidigitation or thaumaturgy type spell the next roung to relight it before it is completely extinguished. However, as it is horror ... I can't wait to see the look of their faces when all of a sudden that candle holding back the bad guy fizzles and goes dark ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

or for fun, have it sputter a few time prior to that, make it work, but almost go out , "you must have got it wet?".. do not have it function 100%
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 am
or for fun, have it sputter a few time prior to that, make it work, but almost go out , "you must have got it wet?".. do not have it function 100%
Oh of course, especially with it being a horror setting ... Poof all the normal candles and oil lamps are snuffed out, and those few precious magical candles that are holding back the evil things that go bump in the shadows back start to sputter ... dim ... and then are only a faint glowing ember atop the wick ... and then the darkness wins as the candles lose the fight against the dark magics ... "What do you do" ... (insert evil DM laugh)

C&C Society