Alternative to the SIEGE system

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
finarvyn
Global Moderator

Alternative to the SIEGE system

Post by finarvyn »

Over on DF is a thread where folks are discussing a way to replace SIEGE with something similar. I think that an awesome idea from that thread is simply to make use of the 5E "Advantage" mechanic, e.g. instead of having a 18/12 type difficulty roll you could keep all checks at 18 difficulty and then call for Advantage in any class skill.

Folks who have tinkered with the mathematics behind Advantage/Disadvantage claim that it's roughly +5/-5 so that's not so far from the SIEGE +6, plus rolling 2d20 and keeping the best one is kind of neat.

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/view ... 48&t=82684
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Alternative to the SIEGE system

Post by DMMike »

Pretty intuitive as well, IMO. Of course, its not absolute like a +6 is but something I'd give a try in a home game.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'm working on SIEGE with skills... I also heear there are 15-10 systems too., I think in the CKG. Advantage and disadvantage can be additive within SIEGE. I thought SIEGE was mainly the idea that "anything is possible, just roll it" with some logic behind "easy for you because your class does that and you're extra good at it" vs "you better roll a 20 because your class does not do that and you are weak in that area too."
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

bulletmeat
Ungern

Post by bulletmeat »

I looked at the 15, +3/-3 style and it worked for some pathfinder players. But I don't know, the 18/12 feels more 'AD&D' or nostalgic to me.

The only thing I would change is spells & spell like effects CB was 18/12 +spell level & wizard mod or 1/2 monster HD (round up) to make some survivability vs. magic at higher levels. Other SIEGE checks were straight up PC level vs. monster HD.

I like the advantage system from 5e but would use it for action points vs. normal SIEGE checks. I see a 12 CB being much easier to survive vs. a 2nd d20 roll.

But hey, opinions...
Me: "THE CAKE IS A LIE! THERE IS NO SPOON! WHAT IS THE RIDDLE OF STEEL?!"
Wife: "...I just want to know what you want for dinner."

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

finarvyn wrote:Folks who have tinkered with the mathematics behind Advantage/Disadvantage claim that it's roughly +5/-5 so that's not so far from the SIEGE +6, plus rolling 2d20 and keeping the best one is kind of neat.
The claim that advantage gives a rough +5 is a bit misleading. It's merely a statement that rolling a 15 has roughly a 50% chance when using advantage, same as rolling a 10 without advantage has a 50% chance. But that breaks down quickly as you move away from 10.

With advantage, you can't ever roll above 20. Further, the odds of rolling a 20 when you have advantage is 9.75%. The odds of rolling a 20 with d20+6 is 35%. If i need a 20, i definitely prefer the +6. Heck, even a +1 without advantage gives better odds of getting a 20 than advantage.

The main advantage to advantage (heh) is that it protects against really bad rolls.

-Fizz

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

So would that mean there is no "advantage" to using "advantage"? :lol:

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I'm working on what i call siege light. I use modern attribute bonuses (12+1, 14+2, etc), but only allow the pc to add 1/2 their level to rolls. I've also removed bth values and replaced it with the siege light roll.