Creating New Spells per CKG etc. - clarification

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Big Ulf
Skobbit

Creating New Spells per CKG etc. - clarification

Post by Big Ulf »

Running an Illusionist in our gang's first C&C campaign and having a blast.

Wanted to ask about creating new spells, as seen in P. 293-295 of the CKG.

My character is only 3rd level but wanted to create spells that are already listed in the Players' Handbook. I was assuming that create 'new' spells only refers to spells that aren't in the PH.
(thematically, this is like a group of 'known spells' being out there in the world known by aged wizards, and 'new spells' are either private or fresh creations from your PC wizard)
So with CK approval, used table 16.10 and paid the appropriate cost/time amounts to add a 2nd and a 1st level spell in my spell book.

Was this right? I know the rules are a guideline anyway so maybe it's moot, but would like clarification on whether or not that was 'by the book'.

I assumed Table 16.10 was to research spells based on existing spells in the PH and Table 16.11 was for brand -new spells that you would invent yourself, which BTB you couldn't do until you were level 10.

Otherwise it's going to be a slow road for the illusionist to gain one spell every level and run across the occasional scroll.

thanks for any clarification.

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Creating New Spells per CKG etc. - clarification

Post by serleran »

While the "new spell creation" guidelines are intended for use to develop a spell not yet known in the game, they can also be used to learn spells "new to you." This includes variations to a spell as well such that you can have the same spell as written but with a mechanical twist such as larger area effect, more damage, both, etc.

When a character is able to make new spells is up to the Castle Keeper as is when they can start to modify existing ones -- I personally allow both at 1st level.

Big Ulf
Skobbit

Post by Big Ulf »

Thanks @serleran!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Good for you, the more you get involved the more fun.

Creating themed special spells is in the game's history (Tenser, Otto, and many others I never spell right).

Really new and novel are hard to come up with, but cool changes are nice too. A green wizard who's spell affects are all green... simple..

But be careful when you take a 2nd level spell and supersize it... key is what level will the new spell live at? Do you need to perform something special? Very expensive materials, etc.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Big Ulf
Skobbit

Post by Big Ulf »

Thanks @Captain_K. I've invented a spell in BECMI under house rules (what else was there) but looking forward to digging deep with this character in C&C rules...should be fun.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Here is a proposal... wizards research and learn spells all the time... a new spell to them is new... all laid out and ready to use from a book or scroll... but why should making a new one be SO costly and expensive... if the PC is willing to do the work and the CK to check it, let the PC make them as part of the game... one new one per level as part of being a Wizard.

Double for Clerics... they hit a new spell level and boom 12 new spells spring into existence and all are known to each priest of Odin, Zeus, dwarf, elf, Asian, or African... not logical... each pantheon, heck, each god could have a unique spell list... lots of work, but if the PC and the CK both want to customize the spell list of a Priest of Thor.. why not?

Thoughts?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.