Fun Low Level Adventure

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Fun Low Level Adventure

Post by Persimmon »

After not being able to play since last fall, our group went through Matthew Finch's Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom last night. I assume many of you know of this, but it's #1 in the Advanced Adventures series for OSRIC. It's a pretty entertaining dungeon romp with some fun tricks and foes. It's for levels 2-4 and though there are a couple places where a small party in particular could get into trouble (we had 8 PCs), it is not too deadly for the most part. The mystery builds nicely and the dungeon holds together well thematically. The mad villain is pretty fun too. And while there are a few magic items and some treasure, it's not enough to seriously unbalance the game or lead to rapid PC advancement. In fact we've now gone through Shadows of the Hafling Hall, the AD&D adventure Against the Cult of the Reptile God, Dark Journey, and this one and all the PCs are 3rd or 4th level. So I think we're going to do Mortality of Green next and then maybe try to tackle the old Slave Lords series, with the new A0 [Darkshelf Quarry] adventure as well.

But for those of you looking for a fun, and fairly short low level adventure, the Sinister Shroom is recommended.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Fun Low Level Adventure

Post by Tadhg »

Well, I'm glad you liked it.

I didn't. I tried but it didn't really grab me and seemed rather plain, generic and boring. Amateur writing doesn't help.

But, if you liked this module then you need to check out some of TLG's A series. Davis and Steve are masters!

And if you don't believe me, then read what Finch says about A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge:

https://www.amazon.com/Castles-Crusades ... 06&sr=1-16

Enjoy the game,

Rhu. :)

Edit: Finch is Mythmere.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Lots of people seem to like it so naturally I have to say I haven't even read it.

I should get around to picking it up somewhere.

I dunno. I've been mostly picking up board games these days.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Check out the Domesday stuff... its pretty good too!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

As for low level A series adventures... You can't go wrong with A0 The Rising Knight. The town of Malforten has all sorts of fully-fleshed NPC's, not to mention the gnoll who's terrorizing the town. Some good overland encounters, and a two-level temple. A solid first level adventure. Can be a standalone, or the launching point for the entire A series.