Using C&C with Beyond The Wall

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Obadiah
Mist Elf

Using C&C with Beyond The Wall

Post by Obadiah »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience running C&C hand in hand with Beyond the Wall.

I am really liking the way that adventures are put together in BTW. Thinking it might be something that could work really well together with C&C as the basic engine for running the game. Any experience people have to share on this?
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: Using C&C with Beyond The Wall

Post by finarvyn »

No, but it seems like it would work fine because C&C is an old school enough system that you can use it for lots of other game lines. When I playtested C&C long ago, I used my old monochrome TSR modules and they worked fine. Seems like you could use BTW material with C&C rules with very little effort.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Not familiar with Beyond the Wall, what makes it different?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

My group has some familiarity with this. We essentially cut out all of the C&C classes except for Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard to correspond with the life-path system from Beyond the Wall. The base C&C character's are much more powerful than the base BTW characters. Since C&C doesn't have a default skill list, you'll probably have to go with the BTW skills, and run them like skills are used in BTW (roll under attribute). Doing this for the Siege Engine doesn't provide the same type of results as rolling under attribute. You'll have to import which attributes become prime because BTW doesn't use prime vs. secondary.

Spells are much different between these games. The spells in BTW are very much low-powered when compared to C&C's D&D style of spells and spell casting.

Beyond the Wall is the current D&D-style game I play the most lately, and because that game is so bare-bones, many in our group wanted to migrate the rules to C&C. We realized that all of the spells and ways characters are generated in BTW is just so ingrained in their bare-bones system that it works well for BTW. C&C is a lot more defined, strict, and assumes everything will be used in the Siege Engine thus making BTW rules not work well in a C&C environment.

Ultimately my group decided to not use BTW's life-path generation system to make C&C characters because there were just too many variables to adjust to make C&C more like BTW. However, if you had the time and inclination, my best suggestion would be to rewrite BTW's Life-Path generation for C&C and just play C&C like normal.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Obadiah
Mist Elf

Post by Obadiah »

Kayolan wrote:Not familiar with Beyond the Wall, what makes it different?
Basically it is that the adventures are "zero prep".

I also really love the low fantasy/magic setting. I have been wanting to do something with that feel set in the Celtic myhtos. I was looking to use the Codex Celtarum, but there is still plenty of thinking to do around how to dull down mages, etc.

Obadiah
Mist Elf

Post by Obadiah »

Omote wrote:My group has some familiarity with this. We essentially cut out all of the C&C classes except for Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard to correspond with the life-path system from Beyond the Wall. The base C&C character's are much more powerful than the base BTW characters. Since C&C doesn't have a default skill list, you'll probably have to go with the BTW skills, and run them like skills are used in BTW (roll under attribute). Doing this for the Siege Engine doesn't provide the same type of results as rolling under attribute. You'll have to import which attributes become prime because BTW doesn't use prime vs. secondary.

Spells are much different between these games. The spells in BTW are very much low-powered when compared to C&C's D&D style of spells and spell casting.

Beyond the Wall is the current D&D-style game I play the most lately, and because that game is so bare-bones, many in our group wanted to migrate the rules to C&C. We realized that all of the spells and ways characters are generated in BTW is just so ingrained in their bare-bones system that it works well for BTW. C&C is a lot more defined, strict, and assumes everything will be used in the Siege Engine thus making BTW rules not work well in a C&C environment.

Ultimately my group decided to not use BTW's life-path generation system to make C&C characters because there were just too many variables to adjust to make C&C more like BTW. However, if you had the time and inclination, my best suggestion would be to rewrite BTW's Life-Path generation for C&C and just play C&C like normal.

~O
Really helpful...thx.

I was thinking of creating a C&C character but instead of rolling up stats using the playbooks but I would need to think about how this might work with regards to skills. Mages would basically mimic what BTW suggest.

I might try to work out some characters and see how it looks.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Depending on your rolling method for generating attributes, I believe it's assumed in BTW that each character will end up with 72 points of attributes (avg of 12 in each of the 6 attributes). Also, in BTW at levels 4 and 9 there is an automatic bump of 2 points of attributes, although that rule might be in the Furter Afield rules.

If you are playing C&C very loosely, I think the BTW character creation could work as is and have the GM/CK adjudicate skills as appropriate for C&C. If your group is looking for well-defined, clear cut rules, for a BTW/C&C crossover, I think you'll have to put some work into it.

Please, if you have the time, let us know how it goes. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Obadiah
Mist Elf

Post by Obadiah »

No played a game with it yet, but I have just rolled up a simple character - the untested Thief.

I took two approaches to try them out and compare to the base result that BTW would produce.
1. Use the BTW playbook to determine the background story & stats but ignored any skills that came up as results in the playbook. But included any items that were received
2. Roll up a Rogue in C&C and just use the background story in notes and items received

I think option 1 might be a go. I like that the stats sort of reflect the background story. I am wondering if I should do something with the skills. Maybe use the C&C standard rogue skills for the character, and if the character gets Pick pocketing in the playbook then give and extra +2 on the resulting siege rolls for that skill test.

I will try out a few more. A fighter first up and maybe another rogue to see how it goes.

Thinking maybe that the Mage requires me to create a new character class that is built especially for this. I like the magic system from BTW for the setting as I see it. No wizard, illusionist, cleric, druid, but sort of a blend to be mostly druidic in the celtic sense.