Let's talk about the different PHBs...

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Let's talk about the different PHBs...

Post by Kayolan »

I have the first printing, the third printing and the latest flip book, which I believe is the 6th printing but softcover and black & white.

I like the thinness and durability of the third printing PHB, were any others made this way?

Also, has anyone made an attempt at putting together a definitive list of the differences between the various printings?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Let's talk about the different PHBs...

Post by Captain_K »

I would say that Traveller or someone has. I have several "printings" I use the latest. I agree the old thin one was nice.. but well I assume the latest has the most stuff with the least errors. I heard only the Barbarian had any significant changes.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Captain_K wrote:I would say that Traveller or someone has. I have several "printings" I use the latest. I agree the old thin one was nice.. but well I assume the latest has the most stuff with the least errors. I heard only the Barbarian had any significant changes.
I know some of the rules were changed, like unarmed combat for example. Illusionist spells were added some time after the 3rd printing. The encumbrance rules changed several times. Multiclassing wasn't added until after the 3rd printing, not sure when it was exactly. Same with class & a half.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Kayolan wrote:
Captain_K wrote:I would say that Traveller or someone has. I have several "printings" I use the latest. I agree the old thin one was nice.. but well I assume the latest has the most stuff with the least errors. I heard only the Barbarian had any significant changes.
I know some of the rules were changed, like unarmed combat for example. Illusionist spells were added some time after the 3rd printing. The encumbrance rules changed several times. Multiclassing wasn't added until after the 3rd printing, not sure when it was exactly. Same with class & a half.
Most of those changes came with the 4th printing.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I liked the decision to go color on the 5th print. But much of the art was browned out and the text was a bit dark (for me anyway).

The 7th print is simply fabulous. With Jason Walton's fantastic cover, lighter text and the use of the glossy smooth pages (as in the 3rd print) are a total win - win for me!

[The Gaxmoor book is smooth glossy too, love it!]

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I don't track changes to the various printings and never have. Errata is what I did, and to an extent I will still do it, especially where it may be critical (see my signature). Other than error correction the only real changes to the PHB are the revision to the barbarian, the addition of illusionist healing, and the simplification of the encumbrance rules. There were some minor things like eliminating the d20 system "escape clause" of the maze spell, adding aging effects to casting certain spells, and changing the number of pages in a character's spellbook from 100 to 200.

The multi-class rules have been available for years prior to their inclusion in the book, so that doesn't count as a change.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Traveller wrote:The multi-class rules have been available for years prior to their inclusion in the book, so that doesn't count as a change.
I wasn't aware of that, was this a pdf or something available on the TLG website?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:
Traveller wrote:The multi-class rules have been available for years prior to their inclusion in the book, so that doesn't count as a change.
I wasn't aware of that, was this a pdf or something available on the TLG website?
Not sure, but I think he is referring to the rules in the Yggsburgh book. Even if I am right, I don't think they are identical to what we use now. Haven't compared the two for years, if ever, so maybe they do match.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
Not sure, but I think he is referring to the rules in the Yggsburgh book. Even if I am right, I don't think they are identical to what we use now. Haven't compared the two for years, if ever, so maybe they do match.
No, the Yggsburgh stuff was slightly different, but they were the first "official" multi/dual class rules.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

They are vastly different than class-and-a-half.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

So other than Gygax's rules for the Zagyg/Yggsburgh material, there were no multi-classing rules for C&C before the 4th printing?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

No there were no "official" rules for multiclassing before the 4th printing.

However, Mike Stewart did a blended class thing in one of the Crusader Mags, but I don't remember which one it was for sure. I was one of the earlier ones though.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Davis's multi-classing rules were in Crusader v2 #4, which would be before the 4th printing. That same issue contains another multi-classing system by Joseph Hepler and Mike's Multiclasses as Classes.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I think I'll start a new thread on multi=class
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Surprised no one brought up the Barbarian being tweaked a bit as well for 4th printing and beyond.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

second post noted it, but not well.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Captain_K wrote:second post noted it, but not well.
ah. missed that. too early for the eyes to focus yet. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Some class abilities have had corrections, if you consider those "changes." For example, illusionists requiring a check to use sharp senses. At some point there wasn't a check. Then there was, and maybe there isn't now. Honestly don't know as I don't keep up with the PHB -- I prefer my 1st print and its what I use.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

serleran wrote:I prefer my 1st print and its what I use.
Just curious serleran, do you allow players to use the later printings to create characters?