Cleveland Concoction - CON

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Cleveland Concoction - CON

Post by Captain_K »

I just signed up to run at least two CnC games in Cleveland on March 9-11 at Cleveland Concoction a CON. It is also at the same time as GaryCON, so the Trolls will be there.

There is a game event called "play it to win it".. looking into that.

Slated for Friday 5-10 Friday and like Noon to 5 Sat, we'll see.

New adventure "Three Faces of Evil" - fast and fun for 6th lvl PCs.

Hope to see you there.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Cleveland Concoction - CON

Post by Captain_K »

This outing will test out, teaching others to play CnC while giving away cool stuff in hopes of getting gamers to give it a try and start playing. Any adice?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Use pregens. Give each PC a choice of a couple weapons or magic items. This will give the players a sense of agency without bogging things down in chargen.

Use group initiative (roll once for the party and once for the monsters, reroll in case of ties), then on the party's turn go around the table asking what each PC does (reverse direction the following round). This speeds things up.

Start in media res -- i.e., open the session with the PCs beginning an exciting encounter rather than a strategy session or some other slow opening. Grab their attention with excitement immediately.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I will use PreGens, I like letting them tailor a few bits of the pregens. I love the "start fast and doing" not "who are you and why are you in this pub with me looking for work and why would I want to work with you?"

You're all Vikings of one sort or another, your personal details, alignment, class, etc. are your business and no one else's.. keep them sort of secret. no table talk as players.. be the character!

Thanks!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If I wasnt at GaryCon, I would be here playing with you. Have a great time and May All of Your Hits be Crits!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Yeah, Next year its GaryCON for me too. Is anyone in the Cleveland area or willing to come in for this?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can say gaming at CLEVELAND CONCOCTION is pretty damn good. I didn't go last year, but the first 3 years I went I ran C&C, BattleTech, and Star Trek: Attack Wing. The game room had mostly board games, but otherwise a diverse group of games including a handful of RPGs other than D&D RPGA-type stuff (it's a pretty small con).

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

What are the dates? I might be in town, though it's doubtful at this point.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Persimmon wrote:What are the dates? I might be in town, though it's doubtful at this point.
http://www.clevelandconcoction.org/

March 9 - 11.

And the OP provided them in the OP.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

We had two CnC games, "Three Faces of Evil" was the four hour one shot. 5 and 9 players, 4th to 5th lvl. Went very well dealing with a Hill Giant, some new undead, and a very young green dragon. In both games had to short cut the middle undead to have time for the Dragon and rescue of the Jarl's son. Great input from my first group of five players (no mage) to tweak the game for the second group of 9. Had one new CnC player from my old HS group from '84, my cousin, his son, and his buddy from his HS group of like '92 or so, plus one walk on (new to CnC) and three of my 9th Hour crew.

About half of the players were new to CnC and it worked without a hitch... so testament to the game's easy and familiarity.

The goal was to teach and sell CnC by playing CnC, but the required books and prizes snafu ed in the USPS with minor fault on the TLG staff for somehow (we think) tweaking the zip code.. but we actually got an apology from the USPS that it should not have mattered. Its been two and a half weeks of the three boxes of books floating all over creation. Not to sell, get supplies 2 months early!

Going to try again at Origins this summer. So anyone want in on a CnC game... come to Origins in Columbus OH, I think its in June.

This Cleveland CON hit on Gary Con... what is the next main gathering of CnC players? I really want to game with you all!