C&C White Box at GenCon

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
rmckee78
Skobbit

C&C White Box at GenCon

Post by rmckee78 »

I didn't feel like dragging a whole bunch of books with me to GenCon this year, so I ran my two C&C games out of the White Box. I forgot how much I love running with just this set. It was so quick and easy. It went over really well with the players too. I think I may go back to using just this at cons. I wish there were pdfs available for this set though. Does anyone else still use the White Box?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: C&C White Box at GenCon

Post by Treebore »

Use? No, but I still own a copy or two, plus the black box.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've never used it. I bought my a few years after I started playing using the 1st printing PHB and M&T. I doubt I would ever use it to run a game. I like rangers and bards too much to exclude them from play.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I love the white box in concept, but I bought it after playtesting the regular PH version and the PH is simple enough (and pretty portable) that I never got around to running anything with the WB only. I can "wing it" if I have just the PH and M&T books, so there isn't much to carry around.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have used the C&C White Box on many occasions, and even run an entire 3 year campaign from it. Though, I did have to expand the game a little bit which means that even though I was using the white box, I was more or less using some rules from core C&C. But never the less, I have used it. It's time to go back and revisit that older Wilderlands of High Adventure campaign from right out of the White Box! And for old-school convention games, heck yea it works.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Huge fan of the white box. I ran it 13 years ago for my group (holy friggin' cats - has it been that long???) Wow, time flies when you're gaming and having fun.

Still seems like the perfect version/edition (? looking for the right word) to introduce C&C to new games or - to run at a CON!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

At Origins we ran the contest adventure to roll test it, the one that is posted in Issued IX. I was brain storming with Troll Tim.. do you folks think we will get more "folks interested in CnC" if they play CnC.. meaning less booth time at CnC more gaming time at the Cons.. run cool contest/tournament games and give away books and adventures to the new players... convince them to try it and make it easy for themselves to walk away ready to play.

Thoughts?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Victorious's first incarnation was using just the tables and siege engine resolution from the White Box. I loves me my minimum rules!

As for the new players idea, I'm fully behind running contests and other things to get people playing. That's the best way C&C shines. You can talk all day about how great it is...most game writers/promoters do. Get them playing, that's the real proof they can't argue with.

Back in the 70's that's exactly what Gygax did from 1974-75 with D&D. Articles, promo games, and running contests at GenCon, WinterCon, Origins, DundraCon...everywhere he could go to promo the game. I think its still a valid way to go today.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

The White Box is where my C&C adventure started. I have a lot of respect for a RPG that can fit into a small box and get picked up and played in a short time. Plus, it's proof that giant, complicated rules-systems aren't required for fun tabletop adventuring. However, I haven't played the White Box since the start as the game in its full form is still pretty darn easy to understand and play.

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

My dream for a Basic set is this:
Booklet 1: a 6 level phb with Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Wizard and Dwarf, Elf and Halfling racial classes
Booklet 2: essentially the monsters and treasues book from the original white box
Booklet 3: a TLG version of the Monsters and Treasures Assortment
Booklet 4: a TLG version of the Rogues Gallery/Shady Dragon Inn 1/2 of which is pre-made characters (SDI) and 1/2 npc creation charts (RG)
Booklet 5: Engineering Dungeons by Doyel
Booklet 6: Towers of Adventure by Ward

All sized to fit in a digest sized box

THAT would be a great sandbox campaign box you could pull out and run at Cons and for you friends!
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.