Need suggestions for unique magic items

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Need suggestions for unique magic items

Post by Buttmonkey »

My PBP players are about to take a second crack at assaulting an evil temple. They previously sneaked in and discovered captured children, one of whom was possessed by a demon and a machine that turns children into bouncing cubes of flesh that are being delivered to another evil location in the woods nearby. They also ran into a giant frog thing that smacked them around a little before being taken out by the party. They didn't get very far into the temple before depleting their resources and retreating.

A friendly god's temple has offered to provide them with material assistance if they agree to go back to the evil temple and clean it out. I'm looking for suggestions of unique magic items the good temple could provide. The players have asked for things like magic missile wands and rings of protection. I plan to throw in some healing potions, a +1 shield, and possibly some +1 weapons. I don't want to inject a magic missile wand or +1 ring into the mix at this point. The PCs are all 3rd and 4th level. I'd like to give them new miscellaneous magic items instead of a bunch of traditional book magic items.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'm thinking things like a rope tied up to look like a spider that will turn into a giant spider if you throw it at someone/something or a sling stone that will reverse gravity on a target, causing the target to slam into the ceiling in a dungeon or go to a lethal height outdoors before the effect wears off and the target falls to its doom. Maybe a picnic basket that magically provides enough food for a party of 6 PCs to eat 3 meals a day. Basically, interesting stuff that is non-standard.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: Need suggestions for unique magic items

Post by Fizz »

or a sling stone that will reverse gravity on a target, causing the target to slam into the ceiling in a dungeon or go to a lethal height outdoors before the effect wears off and the target falls to its doom.
I like this idea but on a dart instead of a stone. If the dart sticks into the target, reverse gravity. If the target then removes the dart, it deactivates.

What about a compressive net? It looks like an ordinary net (that might be used in gladiatorial combat). But when it entangles a foe, it starts squeezing the target, increasingly slowing, hindering and causing damage each round.

How about a magical plant? Treat it nicely, and it gives off a useful pollen that provides some kind of benefit (saves?). But be mean to the plant, and it gives off a pollen that is harmful.

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head...

-Fizz

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I like the idea of the plant. The question would be how to motivate the PCs to treat the plant well/badly in some way. Maybe the plant is emotionally needy at inopportune moments.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Rune stones with things like Sunburst or Holy Burst for use against any undead. Or Lightening Burst (Electrical version of Fireball) for those armored annoyances. Never underestimate the value of Oil of No Friction or a Whistle of (insert critter) Summoning. Throwing Daggers of Chaos (1d8 random pratfalls or unpleasant effects - self returning)...or if you want absolute crack items: Smoke Bomb of Cross-dressing (those within the smoke sv vs magic or have a wardrobe malfunction!), Ring of Rings (AoE-those inside sv vs magic or are beset with a multitude of old rotary phone ringers going off in their ears at nearly rupturing volume), Wand of Tongue Lashing (each charge used causes a 30' long frog tongue to lash out at the target doing 1d6 damage plus sliming the foe should it hit). Vicious Hair Pin: (thrown at a target and if hit, they are pinned to any surface 10' behind them by their hair until cut free or the pin is removed by its master). Tutu of Confusion (should the wearer break out into interpretive dance, enemies viewing said dancer must make a Cha sv to avoid being confused for 1d4 rounds after the dancer stops)

Stuff like that? :D lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

This might be a bit far off what you want, but you could throw in a mythral or adimantine weapon, which are great except their bonus is non-magical so it is pretty much useless against spectral opponents.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote: Rune stones with things like Sunburst or Holy Burst for use against any undead. Or Lightening Burst (Electrical version of Fireball) for those armored annoyances. Never underestimate the value of Oil of No Friction or a Whistle of (insert critter) Summoning. Throwing Daggers of Chaos (1d8 random pratfalls or unpleasant effects - self returning)... or if you want absolute crack items: Smoke Bomb of Cross-dressing (those within the smoke sv vs magic or have a wardrobe malfunction!), Ring of Rings (AoE-those inside sv vs magic or are beset with a multitude of old rotary phone ringers going off in their ears at nearly rupturing volume), Wand of Tongue Lashing (each charge used causes a 30' long frog tongue to lash out at the target doing 1d6 damage plus sliming the foe should it hit). Vicious Hair Pin: (thrown at a target and if hit, they are pinned to any surface 10' behind them by their hair until cut free or the pin is removed by its master). Tutu of Confusion (should the wearer break out into interpretive dance, enemies viewing said dancer must make a Cha sv to avoid being confused for 1d4 rounds after the dancer stops)

Stuff like that? :D lol

Nice, consider them pirated for use in my girl's harvester's game !

As for 'unique magic items' , back in the day when I ran games I HATED stock by the book magic items. To me, unless you were in a high magic world where mage after mage had set up a production line of items arms and armor, magic items should all be unique. At least in some way there should be something different or special about each one. Of course that didn't mean I reinvented the wheel for EVERY item, or took hours making a back story for everyone of them, but each one was just a little different, a little special. Plus, as the game progressed, the weapon's story would grow with the player's and the powers would morph and grow. (which is what Rigon is doing in our current game, & I sooo much enjoy it !!!). A thief's magic SS may let them know when they failed a trap check or a search check, and give them a second chance, the ranger's sword - a gift from elves - let him speak and understand all elf / fay languages & know when any goblinoid was within bow range, etc etc etc

As your scenario is basically a good temple sponsoring the party in an attack on a rival evil temple ... a weapon that causes fear x 3 a day (plus anytime a 20 is rolled on the attack roll) to followers of evil gods. An arrow that causes a 'sound burst' effect when it hits, usable 3x before the magic wears off and the arrow becomes a standard +1 arrow. A weapon that gives the wielder a cure CLW effect when it rolls a 20 or rolls ma damage. Things like that.

I do like your string spider, and food basket ideas too - consider them copied pasted into the above mentioned harvester's game too
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

A recommend a weapon with a odd activation "code".

In my higher level game there is a +4 Shortsword called Xothagland. It functions as a +2 Shortsword unless activated. It's kind of a play on "Eureka" I have found it.

Xothagland Sword of Knowledge
[Xothagland must be activated by calling out it's name in the act of discovery of a secret. Once activated the bearer gains +2 on all Wisdom and Intelligence checks and fully acts as +4 weapon]

It drove the M-U/Thief nuts trying to figure out how to unlock it. In the end he said it was the most fun he'd had with a item.

-Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't know how frequently frogs will be in the game, but my first thought was a magical frog gig that had any of the following powers:

1) Transform into a net, similar to an entangle spell.
2) Create a bright burst of light to temporarily hold or confuse frogs and other toad-like creatures.
3) Detect and/or communicate with frogs/toads.
4) Allow the user to polymorph into a frog or toad.

Power level, too, is unknown. I dunno.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Another few ideas...

A sleeping bag that doubles the amount of time rested within it, effectively meaning one need only 4 hours sleep to gain the benefits of 8. This may or may not help spellcasters.

Tent holding up to 6 man-sized persons which makes it harder to scry or teleport (in both directions) for it is lined with a material which reduces the effectiveness of such magic. Think a sort of magical, portable, Faraday cage except it does not need to block completely... just make it harder.

Bag of walnuts. Eat one and gain the power of a barkskin spell. Eat three, and speak with plants. Eat 7, and shapechange into a treant. However, if any more are consumed than 7 in one day, there is a possibility of negative effects such as portion of the user permanently becoming wooden or taking on the properties of such material. The bag has 21 nuts.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:I don't know how frequently frogs will be in the game, but my first thought was a magical frog gig that had any of the following powers:

1) Transform into a net, similar to an entangle spell.
2) Create a bright burst of light to temporarily hold or confuse frogs and other toad-like creatures.
3) Detect and/or communicate with frogs/toads.
4) Allow the user to polymorph into a frog or toad.

Power level, too, is unknown. I dunno.
Nice, consider this (and your bark skin walnut) copied for my Harvester's game ... I like the tent and sleeping bag idea too for a regular game.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Read the past issues of Domesday? Just some thoughts there. PM me and I'll mail you the MIs coming out in Issue IX.

I like odd things with detail that are cool but not powerful.

Black Thorn Dagger, this hardened wood dagger is a magic piercing weapon that is -1 to hit, but delivers a nasty puncture wound the festers immediately dealling +2 damage per round until cleaned out (successful first aide check) or magically is healed. It is non-metallic, dull black, and floats in water. Its sheath must be packed with fresh dung from a carnivor to remain magical each day.

Three rune carved river stones: these Norse stones can be thrown or slung as "bullets". They function as "magic stones". The run must be read (pronounced) it glows for 5 rounds at which time the magic is active. They are perminant items and can be reused if found. BUT on a natural 20 (or 18 to 20 if you like) they explode up hitting their target or a miss for double damage in a 10' radii.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

I have shared this before, but i am reposting to share again.
Please use/change etc as you need for your game.

Weapons with a touch of the different
Plus one swords are dull. Plus 2 swords are dull. Here is a list of weapons to spice up your game.
All of these weapons are generic as to exact form. None are given pluses’, that’s for the CK/DM/DM to decide.

Alfred, a plain blade with rectangular guard and pommel, the blade is etched in runes spelling its name. A potent magic infuses this blade. The first humanoid creature killed by a new owner will animate and seek the wielder out. The zombie thus created appears at midnight the day it was killed. The corpse will perform any menial assignment from polishing armor to cleaning to dishes, as long it is a task one would assign to butler or manservant. The servant created will not spring traps open doors or in any way aid in dungeoneering enterprises. If the wielder unknowingly kills its butler the body will again reform animate and return on the following midnight. The servant thus created will not travel further then 100 yards of the swords owner. And will unerringly appear every midnight if left behind.

Sacrifice, the blade of this sword has an odd blood groove. To activate its magic the owner must spill his own blood onto the blade. Every hit point up to 5 a day will endow it with pluses to hit equal to the blood points spilt. The damage caused by this act will only heal at a rate of 1 point per day.

Smolder, the singeing blade. When wielded in combat the blade heats and smokes like a branding iron. Wounds caused by this weapon will not regenerate.

Zebellae, (elvish for rainbow) the name is carved on the hand grip of this exquisite dagger. The weapon will upon command shed any color of light the wielder desires.

Fotahn, blade of the lawful order. This blade is a signature weapon to a long faded knightly order. On a natural strike of a 20 the blade will sever the weapon arm of its opponent.

Hammerfall, A dwarven blade of fine craftsmanship. The blade carries its name in dwarf runes. On a natural strike of a 19 or 20 the blade will knock an opponent to the ground (save vs. STR).

Harsh, Gnomish crafted dagger. A successful strike from this weapon causes bleeding from the wound for 1 point a round, for a number of rounds equal to the wielders level.

Ram bow, This weapon appears to be fashioned of horn from a ram. The weapon will always have an arrow nocked and ready when its owner reaches for the string. (+2 to initiative)

Ashe, bow. Three times a week the owner may call out “rain on my foes” this causes a hail of arrows to land in a spot decided by the owner. The hail of arrows hit in a 20 foot radius of that point causing 4d6 damage. (save for half, dex).

Shadow Jack, dagger 3 times a week may cast darkness.

Glare, a shield enchanted to cause foes faced with it to blink, wink and eyes to water. This gives a bonus to armor class to the wielder.

Blazer, a woodsman bow adds +50% movement speed to wielder but causes them to eat twice as much a week.

Bee,Hind,ewe, dagger with a rough outline of a bee a hind and a ewe. 3 times a week the owner may dimension door directly behind a foe of choice.

Benefactor, mace of blessings. Anyone kneeling in reverence before the wielder and kissing his hand will gain a +1 to hit for hour. The wilder may endow this blessing a number of times a day equal to his level.

Yakeshcah, blade of fright. 3 times a week the wielder may cast fear on an opponent struck.

Sea Foam, blade of the seas. 3 times a week the owner may cast water breathing and 3 times a week the owner may cast water walking. The owner may use those powers on themselves at will.

Ixat, bearded axe. 3 times a day the owner may summon a mount. The mount summoned will remain for up to 4 hours.

Corpse Duster, mace. A successful strike causes corporeal undead to save vs. disintegration.

Thompson, throwing dagger. On a successful hit a duplicate will appear in its owners hand to be thrown next round, this cloning will continue until the thrower misses. Duplicate knives vanish after the combat.

Heel Jack, sword with a spiked pommel. On command it will dance and fight foes as directed by its owner.

No, cursed dagger. Anyone holding this weapon and preparing to strike from surprise will cause the blade to yell out “NO you will not stab them in the back in such a cowardly fashion!”

Day Bringer, Bow shoots arrows of light, bane vs undead +1d6 damage.

Gnort fralick, Trollish for kidney tickler. Adds one extra die of damage on back stabs.

Life drinker, sword of limited vampiric regeneration. On a successfully damaging strike the weapon will heal its wielder 1d6 points.

Bile Spew, blade of torture. A successful strike forces a save vs con or victim vomits for two rounds -4 to hit and ac is 2 lowered.

Arcanus, the spell blade. Can hold a single spell of 1st to 3rd level, as a ring of spell storing. Energy stored in the blade will dissipate harmlessly after a week.

Spark Shower, hammer on a natural roll of 20 causes a spark shower to strike the foe hit causing an extra 1d6 damage.

Thresher, blade of reaping. Once a day the wielder may call out “fall before me like wheat” causing a whirlwind strike against all foes in range.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/