Expanding Classes (C&C)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Omote
Battle Stag

Expanding Classes (C&C)

Post by Omote »

Over up there on the Facebook, TLG sprouted some news about new C&C product available at GenCon

https://www.facebook.com/castlesandcrus ... =3&theater

Castles & Crusades: Expanding Classes
Here's the Ad Copy: Most everyone wants an edge, an angle that allows them to take that extra step, achieve that extra goal, to surprise the enemy. This angle, in hard fought battles with certain loss, can turn and snatch victory from the jaws of disaster. Expanding Classes is just that angle. Herein we delve into the 13 standard C&C classes, and the Rune Mark, and unleash the power of multiclassing, enhanced classes and switching classes. Create new characters that combine the powers of several classes, or breath life into old characters, long used to the campaign trail, by switching classes! Expand your game with Expanding Classes!
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Expanding Classes (C&C)

Post by Rigon »

I saw it too. Kinda bummed I'm not gong to GenCon to grab one.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I'm torn. I like character options, but when you get too many ... well, that road may lead to madness. :-D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn wrote:I'm torn. I like character options, but when you get too many ... well, that road may lead to madness. :-D
Yeah, I'll buy it, but I doubt I will use anything out of it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

finarvyn wrote:I'm torn. I like character options, but when you get too many ... well, that road may lead to madness. :-D
That's the reason I like this as a separate book. If the options are too crazy, too plentiful, or too powerful you can simply excise the book from your campaign. I like it TLG. I like this a lot.

Now, let's get a preview!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Oh, that is so my destiny as well.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I can't see myself purchasing.

But that's not really surprising, seeing as I've offered a bunch of things like this before (assuming contents; they could be very different.)

I do think its a good idea, however, and would like to know what's in it. So maybe I'll get it anyway.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My house rules have allowed for years now for players to earn custom abilities, etc... IN game. Plus I allow multi classing and class and a half. So my players already have plenty of options for creating a "unique" character class on top of a unique character (person). So at best I am thinking this will add ideas to the stew pot, but I seriously doubt they are going to give me a system I am going to adopt.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Is this item part of the a new Kickstarter?

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:
Sorta like the CKG. My game was running smoothly before the CKG came out and so I never felt the need to use it when it did come out. Fun reading, though.

As to the Expanding Classes book ... who knows.
Marv / Finarvyn

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

lobocastle wrote:Is this item part of the a new Kickstarter?
Not that I am aware of. This looks like a new product as the ad copy from Facebook seems to allude to.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

I am about to start a second campaign and was thinking a goblin would fit the theme quite well. I wonder how a non-con-goer gets this?
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

finarvyn wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Sorta like the CKG. My game was running smoothly before the CKG came out and so I never felt the need to use it when it did come out. Fun reading, though.

As to the Expanding Classes book ... who knows.

Like many of us who were around before the CKG I already had advancement beyond level 12 worked out and had been using things like the 1e DMG to fill in certain gaps. The CKG was a completion piece for me and still is. This new book sounds interesting though.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Given the trolls' record of adhering to the mantra, "less is more", I believe this will not be like mongoose publishings ultimate guide to feats/weapons/classes, etc. I for one am excited about this product!

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

When's this product going to be offered digital.

JLL

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

O, did you pick this up at GenCon? If so, spill.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

O, did you pick this up at GenCon? If so, spill.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:O, did you pick this up at GenCon? If so, spill.

R-
O is probably still recovering from Gen Con. :lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:The PDF is now available...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190 ... rem=121555
I saw that and may check it out in the next day or to. May have to wait until payday.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:O, did you pick this up at GenCon? If so, spill.

R-
O is probably still recovering from Gen Con. :lol:
Well, he isn't as young as he once was.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lookout b*tches, I'm finally back from GenCon, and dang tootin' I ain't as young you as I used to be!
TLG's booth was rockin' this year, though I had very little time to hang with the boys.
I've devoured Expanding Classes, which really is a deconstruction (and then a re-construction) of the Class-and-a-Half rules. This booklet of about 20 pages of content expands upon the ideas of class-and-a-half, as well as clarifying certain aspects of dual-classing and multi-classing. There's a neat section called Class Plus which uses class-and-a-half, but the supporting class is added to an existing character at 0-level, and in itself, never advances. Pretty neat.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Sounds like an interesting item. Can't wait to get my copy.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Omote wrote:Lookout b*tches, I'm finally back from GenCon, and dang tootin' I ain't as young you as I used to be!
TLG's booth was rockin' this year, though I had very little time to hang with the boys.
I've devoured Expanding Classes, which really is a deconstruction (and then a re-construction) of the Class-and-a-Half rules. This booklet of about 20 pages of content expands upon the ideas of class-and-a-half, as well as clarifying certain aspects of dual-classing and multi-classing. There's a neat section called Class Plus which uses class-and-a-half, but the supporting class is added to an existing character at 0-level, and in itself, never advances. Pretty neat.

~O
So class+ allows you to run your character and a minion, or it allows you to play your character with a "watered down" variant of class and a half?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

No minions. What Class Plus allows is a normal classed character that has some of the base abilities of another (previous) class. These extra abilities come at an increased experience point cost of the primary class, but the abilities of the other class never increase (always remain at 0-level).

The thought behind this is, that perhaps a character grew up as a barbarian in his life prior to accepting the rigors of a full-classed cleric at 1st level. In this scenario, the character will get some of the abilities of the barbarian (based on an included chart in the Expanded Classes book), and all of the abilities of a normal cleric. The barbarian abilities never advance, thus when an attribute check is made, the bonus will always be +0 regardless of the level of the cleric. Class Plus is almost like a set of background skills of the main character.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'd also like to say, that for a C&C product Expanding Classes is quite on the crunch-heavy style of gaming. Not in the sense that there is a lot of new game mechanics to get used to or to play with, but new class concepts that are very table heavy and meant to explain in clear detail what each class combination entails. I was at first quite shocked. But essentially, it's the descriptive text in the appendix of the players handbook that is exploded out and, tabled, and with some additional details.

Perhaps this is TLG's attempt at tip-toeing into the waters of a bit more crunch heavy Adventurer's Backpack.

Just a thought.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Drat. I just placed a $100+ order from TLG the other day. The package hasn't even gotten here yet and already I'm second-guessing my decision not to buy this book. Well, maybe when Victorious comes out I can afford another order.... :D
Marv / Finarvyn

bestialwarlust
Mist Elf

Post by bestialwarlust »

Omote wrote:No minions. What Class Plus allows is a normal classed character that has some of the base abilities of another (previous) class. These extra abilities come at an increased experience point cost of the primary class, but the abilities of the other class never increase (always remain at 0-level).

The thought behind this is, that perhaps a character grew up as a barbarian in his life prior to accepting the rigors of a full-classed cleric at 1st level. In this scenario, the character will get some of the abilities of the barbarian (based on an included chart in the Expanded Classes book), and all of the abilities of a normal cleric. The barbarian abilities never advance, thus when an attribute check is made, the bonus will always be +0 regardless of the level of the cleric. Class Plus is almost like a set of background skills of the main character.

~O

Sounds similar to what I did in my od&d game and what I'll do in C&C.

Player -- I want to be a pirate but there's no class!
Me-- Ok write down pirate on as your background you'll get a bonus on any needed rolls related to ships, navigating, etc..

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I picked up my copy while working the booth. Haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sounds like it's worth the cost. Can we buy from trolls normal store?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.