Fantasy Earth?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
dcfitch
Ungern

Fantasy Earth?

Post by dcfitch »

Has anyone published a fantasy earth setting? I am looking to try a pseudo-medieval earth campaign, with fantasy elements thrown in. It should be easy enough to do myself, but I was wondering if anyone has published such a setting for C&C/D&D/Pathfinder. Also, I would be interested if anyone out there is doing this or has done this....and how did it work well with C&C?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Fantasy Earth?

Post by Treebore »

I know there are such settings out there, I have seen them, but I don't recall ever buying any of them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A quick search looks lie Earthdawn, Shadowed Earth and Mythic do what your looking for, but not for the system your looking for. However, settings rarely rely on the dice mechanics to make the settings work. You can also easily adapt Harn materials to a alternate Earth setting. Heck, Harn itself is very earth like.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ars Magica uses "Mythic Europe" as its setting. You might look at some setting books like Heirs to Merlin for England and Lion of the North for Scotland among others. It should be easy enough to introduce your system of choice to the setting.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Ars magica is having a bundle sale over at bundle of holding if that is the way you want to go. Last day of the sale is today I believe. I don't think the sale includes the pdf of the book most relevant to your enquiry,however, because it is from an earlier edition: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/128830/Mythic-Europe

I think Gygax did something similar with our world+magic in Mythus, specifically http://www.amazon.com/Epic-Aerth-Mytus- ... 1558781323

Either of those should foster loads of ideas, but may require some work at your end.

The cool thing is you can use google maps for your world maps! :D

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aramis wrote:
I think Gygax did something similar with our world+magic in Mythus, specifically http://www.amazon.com/Epic-Aerth-Mytus- ... 1558781323

Either of those should foster loads of ideas, but may require some work at your end.

The cool thing is you can use google maps for your world maps! :D
I have mythus, and yes it has a ton of stuff you can idea mine.

Also, look into the AD&D 2e historic setting books. However, (though I like them and the lower default magic setting in them) they ma overly down play the magic/fantasy element you are looking for.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are some games, too, which strive for a stronger hint of verisimilitude. Like Chivalry and Sorcery or High Fantasy.

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

At least myself and one other on this site run C&C on a mystic earth type setting.

I cant believe no one mentioned the Codex's

The Celtic Codex covers the British isles Erie and some of mainland Europe.
The Nordic Codex covers the vikings.
3 more are due out soon.
Slavic, Germanic and Greek/Roman.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

All great ideas. Thanks! C&C is definitely my system of choice and should be easy to use, especially with the Codex series.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

The Tao of D&D blog's Alexis Smolensk has been mapping out the real world in 20 mile hexes for a while now. His maps might be of use to you. Check it out here: Tao of D&D wiki

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Hoping the Slavic codex covers the Kievan Rus'. That period and area just screams adventure.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dead Horse wrote:At least myself and one other on this site run C&C on a mystic earth type setting.

I cant believe no one mentioned the Codex's

The Celtic Codex covers the British isles Erie and some of mainland Europe.
The Nordic Codex covers the vikings.
3 more are due out soon.
Slavic, Germanic and Greek/Roman.

:shock:

I can't believe I forgot them .... :(

They are great books !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

I guess the big question about fantasy earth is how fantasy is it? Does it have centaurs and goblins? Orcs and beholders? Wizards? How much magic? How do magic and mythical creatures affect the course of Earth history?

I've been working on some ideas, but don't think I'll ever get anything published, though.

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

I am currently working on a campaign idea for a "fantasy earth" that has magical elements to it, though it is predominantly low magic. I am using the premise (from Genesis 6, "angelic" interpretation) that the earth was once ruled by giant beings known as nephilim (and later Rephaim and Anakim) who were the product of the mating of angelic beings and human women. These beings established a world high in magic and magical technology that was eventually wiped out by the universal flood. Thus, buried beneath the earth and sunken beneath the waves can be found ruins filled with magical artifacts and weapons. Also, these nephilim engaged in genetic experiments that resulted in strange hybrid creatures and unholy monsters. Some of these have survived the flood and can be encountered as players search the world for lost magic and treasure. Anyway...that is the working background for my game that I am currently building. Not sure what will come of it. And I haven't decided what medieval period to place the campaign in....1200-ish? Still working our many of the details.

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

dcfitch wrote:I am currently working on a campaign idea for a "fantasy earth" that has magical elements to it, though it is predominantly low magic. I am using the premise (from Genesis 6, "angelic" interpretation) that the earth was once ruled by giant beings known as nephilim (and later Rephaim and Anakim) who were the product of the mating of angelic beings and human women. These beings established a world high in magic and magical technology that was eventually wiped out by the universal flood. Thus, buried beneath the earth and sunken beneath the waves can be found ruins filled with magical artifacts and weapons. Also, these nephilim engaged in genetic experiments that resulted in strange hybrid creatures and unholy monsters. Some of these have survived the flood and can be encountered as players search the world for lost magic and treasure. Anyway...that is the working background for my game that I am currently building. Not sure what will come of it. And I haven't decided what medieval period to place the campaign in....1200-ish? Still working our many of the details.
That sounds like a really good idea.

How about setting in the late classical period, perhaps 4th or 5th century. Or maybe 7th Century right after the Muslims first got established across Africa and the Middle East?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dcfitch wrote:I am currently working on a campaign idea for a "fantasy earth" that has magical elements to it, though it is predominantly low magic. I am using the premise (from Genesis 6, "angelic" interpretation) that the earth was once ruled by giant beings known as nephilim (and later Rephaim and Anakim) who were the product of the mating of angelic beings and human women. These beings established a world high in magic and magical technology that was eventually wiped out by the universal flood. Thus, buried beneath the earth and sunken beneath the waves can be found ruins filled with magical artifacts and weapons. Also, these nephilim engaged in genetic experiments that resulted in strange hybrid creatures and unholy monsters. Some of these have survived the flood and can be encountered as players search the world for lost magic and treasure. Anyway...that is the working background for my game that I am currently building. Not sure what will come of it. And I haven't decided what medieval period to place the campaign in....1200-ish? Still working our many of the details.
Sounds extremely interesting. Please share more when you have more.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

dcfitch
Ungern

Post by dcfitch »

Thanks for the encouragement. I may date this campaign earlier than 1200...so far still up in the air. Enjoying my research and the creative process.