Alcohol and gaming

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Alcohol and gaming

Post by slimykuotoan »

In my opinion, these NEVER mix well, and always mess up the game to some degree.

Thoughts?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Alcohol and gaming

Post by Go0gleplex »

Agreed. Long time rule at my table and my house. Cannot even stand the smell personally.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

That's why I don't game at Cons any more. That and Jaybird.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I played in a 1E game with an alcoholic DM back in the late 80s. We didn't realize he was an alcoholic when it started. He would have a beer during the game and it was no big deal. Then it was 2 beers; still no big deal. Eventually, he was becoming drunk by the end of the game sessions. This was alarming and quickly spiraled down to him being drunk when we showed up to game. That was the end of the campaign for my dad and me. Very sad. No booze at my table. It's just not worth it. Plus, one of my players is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict and I don't want to rub his face in alcohol consumption during the game.

I have been known to drink a beer during a game session at Gary Con, but never enough that I can feel the effects. If I get to the point where I'm even slightly buzzed during a game, I need to rethink some things.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

I will be the devils advocate (it's too easy to see the issues with drinking and rpg's) and say you can have a great time drinking and role playing if either done in moderation or if EVERYONE is trashed.

One of the best games EVAH, was done totally trashed, we all had a GREAT time. We just don't remember a heck of a lot of it. At one point we do remember taking a shot of wild turkey every time you wanted to drink a healing potion while playing return to the tomb of horrors.

The next day we discovered someone had thrown up in their book bag however, and ruined a mint condition signed copy of HOL. Though I'm not sure that didn't make it better.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If they can actually control themselves and drink in moderation. I find too many people are like Rigon, they get wasted, you can't even understand what they are saying anymore, and so on... Definitely never expect Rigon or Jaybird to actually play if they are drinking. :lol:
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:If they can actually control themselves and drink in moderation. I find too many people are like Rigon, they get wasted, you can't even understand what they are saying anymore, and so on... Definitely never expect Rigon or Jaybird to actually play if they are drinking. :lol:
Not true, I drink and game when I'm with my old group from high school. I just don't drink and game with Jaybird. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:If they can actually control themselves and drink in moderation. I find too many people are like Rigon, they get wasted, you can't even understand what they are saying anymore, and so on... Definitely never expect Rigon or Jaybird to actually play if they are drinking. :lol:
Not true, I drink and game when I'm with my old group from high school. I just don't drink and game with Jaybird. ;)

R-
I've only seen you drink with Jaybird, so thats your reputation now... :lol:
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
I've only seen you drink with Jaybird, so thats your reputation now... :lol:
Fair enough.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

In some games I play, if I'm not half-in-the-bag, the game wouldn't be nearly as fun. I don't generally mind gaming and booze, but if the players are all snookered up and nothing is getting accomplished, I would raise the alarm. So far that has not often been the case in a vast majority of the games that I run.

Conventions is a different story, at least for me. Conventions is really a great opportunity to mix being social, with booze-hounding, and participating in my favorite hobby - all at the same time. It's like a nice overload, that doesn't come that often.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My wife and I do not drink but have played with those who do. Provided it is kept coherent, roll with it. Fun things can happen.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I think moderation is key, along with the personalities who are playing. We never had a problem with it in my old group. I recall some of the guys drinking beer, but never to excess or to the point it affected the game. My current game is with my 2 children on Sunday afternoons, so not much room for booze there.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

maximus wrote:I think moderation is key, along with the personalities who are playing.
A voice for moderation here as well. Drinking nothing but booze for our typical gaming session (5-ish hours) is a bad idea, but I don't see much wrong with a beer or two (or equivalent other alcoholic drink) over the course of the whole session. Running a game requires erring more on the side of temperance though. :D

Convention-wise, I tend to drink less (near nothing during gaming time). One, I find that staying hydrated throughout a full day of talking (and at the bigger cons, hustling from location to location) takes up most beverage-consuming opportunities. Two, gaming with people I don't know, I want to be able to attend to the GM fully, as well as keep my brain on what the other PCs are doing. Alcohol tends to interfere with that. However, after gaming hours are done, unwinding with a preferred beverage is a ok with me.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hehe, funny thread.

At CONs, I'll have some drinks at night if it's a game where I don't have to concentrate too much.

Back during my tabletop games with my daughter and nephews, they were afternoons - so no drinking at all (not that I'd be against it, I just don't drink in the afternoons except Christmas!).

Online games ~ when I'm CK'ing, I'll have a tipple or two but that's it. When I'm playing, I like to pour a few - my only problem is sometimes my meds kick in and then I nod off at the end of the game! :lol:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, I've never known it to affect you noticeably Rhuvein.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:Yeah, I've never known it to affect you noticeably Rhuvein.
:lol:

Haha, that's just 'cause I tend to get sleepy before I get drunky! :oops:

;)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

We have themed alcoholic beverages typically. Someone brings a home made mead to share. Or finds "Old Skull Crusher Ale" the night of the Viking attack or "Sacred Blood" Cabinet for the vampire adventure. Or one of my favorites "Arrogant Bastard" or "Damnation" broken out at the right time. We tend to have specialty stuff shared 6-8 ways makes no one drunk, plus we normally eat as a group at the start so that helps too.

We've had a few over do it or be soo tired there was no difference.. falling asleep is normally the biggest concern.

I have to stick up for Rigon, the one face to face game we played in he was stone sober, even refused my specialty brews! Eat one hell of a lot of bird seed though.. put a yellow tail on him and he would have been Big Bird with a broadsword!

Its a game for fun for all, if all can have fun and not spoil it for everyone or some, then it good. At least my beer stays in my bottle (unless I spill it), so its usually a personal choice.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

It is all about moderation and tolerance.

At our games (5 hours every two weeks) I always have 2 beers (with a Coca-Cola spacer in between). Of the other 5 players, one will have a single whiskey/coke, while two others will occasionally have a beer each.

It is no big deal, but then we are not trying to get drunk....

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Yeah, in moderation, drinking is fine with gaming. Getting completely drunk is not so good.

I always have wine, beer, and the offer of my mixology skills for cocktails available at our gaming sessions. Plus water, tea, coffee, and the like.

I tend to take it very easy at conventions, though. The last thing I want is to have a poorer time the next day because I had too much the night before.

Brad
Mist Elf

Post by Brad »

I get as drunk as possible, especially when gaming.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Sometimes at the game we may all have a beer or two.

We had a DM get really drunk. He found out most of his old unit was wiped out from when he worked for the government. That was a different story.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Just used a bottle of Black Willow Winery Mead "Freyja's Passion" with cat drawn cart as foreshadowing for my recently "animal friendship" wanting Gnomish Druid's next set of "animal friends".. so there are more jobs for alcohol than the obvious.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

ThrorII wrote:It is all about moderation and tolerance.

At our games (5 hours every two weeks) I always have 2 beers (with a Coca-Cola spacer in between). Of the other 5 players, one will have a single whiskey/coke, while two others will occasionally have a beer each.

It is no big deal, but then we are not trying to get drunk....
Good post, ThrorII.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander