Random tables...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Random tables...

Post by Treebore »

I find such tables to be most useful when my brain is failing to be creative, or when I need help getting out of a creative rut. While there are many such tables available on the internet, I am going to focus on published materials, but feel free to add in your favorites, regardless of source....

My most favorite, "go to" resource is Ultimate Toolbox by AEG, which is a greatly expanded version of their 3E version, simply called Toolbox...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/631 ... te+Toolbox

I am also an official member of "The Order of the D30"...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/124 ... rs_id=4528

and another D30 product...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/102 ... rs_id=4528

and of course I still love using the various tables in the good old 1E DMG... As well as my old Armory D30 booklet.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Random tables...

Post by Treebore »

This is another one I like, not to actually use for the treasures, necessarily, but a lot of the write ups are so awesome I've created entire adventures around my players getting them. These are NON magical treasures too!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/122 ... ables?it=1
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I find I like to make them myself.

I do like to look at others, but I get the options I want when I make my own.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I find I like to make them myself.

I do like to look at others, but I get the options I want when I make my own.
Yep. I just use them when my own creative juices are low, or I am in a rut and need to get myself out of it.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Tree's recommendations are excellent. Also see Abulafia. Especially fun is just to click "random generator" in the left pane. "The Dungeon Dozen" is available on Lulu and has some sillier tables, some useful, and I think they are all from the dungeon dozen blog: http://roll1d12.blogspot.com/ and are an entertaining use of the d12 in any case.

Making your own of course is the pinnacle of goodness if you have your own campaign setting. Anywhere you would write down one thing, write down 4-20 things instead and put them in a table. Then all of this randomness strengthens your setting instead of breaks it. There are some interesting OSR settings that are nothing but tables (Towers of Krshal... it's not exactly a setting but it's not exactly NOT a setting either.) The original Wilderlands is largely a baffling bunch of weird tables. The fun part is you end up with YOUR Wilderlands.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Hear, Hear on Toolbox and Ultimate Toolbox. I own both and consistently bring one whenever I might want to brainstorm... not necessarily to roll, but just to stimulate some thought.

I've always been a fan of the Dungeon Master's Design Kit, which had quite a few tables (but wasn't just restrained to just those). It always helped me quite a lot just to read through them.

Two other old school pieces I loved were Central Casting's Dungeons and Heroes of Legend. Sadly, if these have PDF's floating out there, I'm not aware of them.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Frog God Games's Tome of Adventure Design is another awesome option.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:Frog God Games's Tome of Adventure Design is another awesome option.
It is, I have that too. I also have all 4 Central Casting books. Next time I make it to NTRPGCon I need to remember to take them to get them signed.

I have otehr books I could add to the list, but the ones I am thinking of now don't have tables, or at least are not table focused.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Insidiae is another table-based book, although not in quite the same type of detail as the others that have been mentioned in this thread.

There is also The Dungeon Alphabet.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:Insidiae is another table-based book, although not in quite the same type of detail as the others that have been mentioned in this thread.

There is also The Dungeon Alphabet.
Yeah, I have all the "Gary books". I also have Dungeon Alphabet, but I'm not much of a fan of it. I bought it for the artwork, and didn't support getting the new one made on Kickstarter.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I really like the Engineering line. Oh, wait.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I really like the Engineering line. Oh, wait.

I own those too! :lol:

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

Treebore wrote: I am also an official member of "The Order of the D30"...
and of course I still love using the various tables in the good old 1E DMG...
Both D30 products Treebore referenced are fantastic go-to resources for me in my campaigns. And much like Tree, I too keep my copy of the 1E DMG handy...
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.