New Class: The Yeoman

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

New Class: The Yeoman

Post by Galadrin »

I was paging through my Black Box today and thinking about the Archer class. I like the concept of an archer character class, but I feel that players might be disappointed if they were looking for a combat archer that could stand toe to toe with the C&C fighter. So I decided to jot down my own solution... this is just a quick sketch of an alternative I came up with.

Yeoman (Dexterity)
Prime Attribute: Dexterity
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8
Weapons: Axes (any), Bow (any), Club, Crossbow (any), Dagger, Maces (any), Morningstar, Sling, Swords (any)
Armor: As Ranger.
Abilities: Disarm, Dual Shot, Fletcher, Master Archer, Rapid Shot, Supporting Shot, Target: Legs, Target: Throat.

BtH and EPP: As Knight.

Supporting Shot: At 1st level, the yeoman can make ranged attacks into melee without endangering her allies.

Trick Shot—Disarm: At 1st level, the yeoman gains the ability to make a disarm attack with a ranged weapon. This works in the exact same way as the disarm combat maneuver, except that it may be made at a distance.

Fletcher: At 1st level, the yeoman can spend her free time modifying her arrows. Whenever making a ranged attack with a bow or crossbow, the yeoman can choose either a bodkin arrow (+2 to hit) or a broadhead arrow (+2 damage). A yeoman must have 6 or more arrows remaining to use this ability—the last few arrows in the quiver are always regular arrows.

Rapid Shot: At 4th level, the yeoman gains an extra ranged attack with a bow (not including crossbows). The attacks may be split between any available targets. The yeoman gains an additional attack for every four levels gained after 4th level. So, at 8th level, the yeoman is allowed a total of three bow attacks, and at 12th level the yeoman gains four attacks with the bow. These attacks may not be combined with the “Target,” “Trick Shot” or “Dual Shot” abilities.

Target—Legs: At 5th level, the yeoman can target an opponent’s legs with a ranged attack. If the attack hits, the target is reduced to half speed until the damage is healed. The opponent must have a distinguishable anatomy to use this ability, but nevertheless may be undead or a construct.

Dual Shot: At 7th level, the yeoman can fire two arrows at once from any bow or crossbow. The attacks may target the same opponent, or two opponents standing no further apart than half the distance between the yeoman and the closest target. These attacks may not be combined with the "Rapid Shot" or "Trick Shot" abilities.

Trick Shot—Master Archer: At 9th level, the yeoman can concentrate and hit any target. If she does not move during this round, the yeoman gains +4 to hit and damage a target with a single ranged attack. This ability also gives a +4 bonus to any attribute check to achieve something remarkable with a bow or crossbow.

Target—Throat: At 10th level, the yeoman can target an opponent’s throat with a ranged attack. If the attack hits, the target cannot speak or cast spells until the damage is healed. The opponent must have a distinguishable anatomy to use this ability, but nevertheless may be undead or a construct.

So, what do you think? Too powerful, too weak, or just right?

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: New Class: The Yeoman

Post by Omote »

The 10th level ability TARGET-THROAT is so crazy good. Yeah, it's a 10th level ability, but by that time you are going up against 10th level wizards, so that is a great ability. My group is a bunch of min-maxers and they would use that ability to frightening ends, particularly at that level where they have access to some pretty neat magic.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Post by Galadrin »

Yah I had my eye on that ability too, to be honest. Initially, I was thinking to put in the clause "the target must be unaware of the yeoman in order to use this ability"—kind of like a sneak attack. That way, it would only be useful if the party planned well and got the drop on the enemy (and even then, once the target got some healing, the penalty would be removed).

I was also thinking of applying a -2 penalty to the rapid shot ability, since it is in many ways much better than combat dominance (which requires one to be in melee distance of all targets and can only target models with 1 hit die or less).

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Does fletcher work on magical arrows? If so, I see some potential problems. If not, less so.

How do the multiple attacks work with different missiles? That is, if I have 1 +3 arrow and 2 +2... can I still attack three opponents or the same one thrice? Each attack considered separate or is one attack roll made and AC compared?

I like the concept. I do think some explanation is lacking, which is not a bad thing. Just gives room to adjust to personal style, which for me, would be to rip off Earthdawn.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I don't see the point of the dual shot ability. The yeoman already gets two attacks per round at level 4. While it's cool to fire the two arrows simultaneously at level 7, what is the mechanical benefit of it? Why would an 8th level or higher PC ever use the dual shot ability? They can get 3+ shots per level at that point. Using the dual shot ability would sacrifice multiple shots per round in exchange for looking cool. The only upside I can see is this would give multiple shots when using a crossbow since the rapid shot ability doesn't work with crossbows. Maybe the dual shot ability should be explicitly limited to crossbows.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

My instincts say the target throat ability is overpowered as written. Putting sneak attack restrictions on it is one way to address the problem. Another idea would be to impose a penalty on the to hit roll since it is a called shot to the throat (small target area).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Post by Galadrin »

@serleran, I don't think I would allow Fletcher to work with magic arrows at my table for the sole reason that you can't be customizing magic items without some serious arcane ability yourself.

@Buttmonkey, Dual Shot can be used with the Target abilities! I was thinking of allowing it with the trick shot abilities too, but that might be too much. PS, I was in your first Castle Zagyg campaign online! Sorry, just get all misty eyed memories sometimes...

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Galadrin wrote:PS, I was in your first Castle Zagyg campaign online! Sorry, just get all misty eyed memories sometimes...
It's frightening when I think how long ago that was. It feels like a couple years, but it's probably been more like 5+. I've racked up a bunch of GM experience since then and do a much better job as a GM now. You poor, poor bastards were subjected to my early novice days behind the screen. I don't even use a screen anymore!