Is it just me or did the Trolls really sell well lately?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Is it just me or did the Trolls really sell well lately?

Post by Captain_K »

Is it just me or are there all sorts of new folks giving the game a try? Linked to anything? Latest round of Cons?

Thoughts how we can help?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Is it just me or did the Trolls really sell well lately?

Post by Treebore »

I think that I was there at NTRPGCon helped convince a couple of people to give it a try. I suspect having a customer standing there spelling out all the reasons they like C&C more than other RPG's had more of an impact than the standard sales pitches.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:I think that I was there at NTRPGCon helped convince a couple of people to give it a try. I suspect having a customer standing there spelling out all the reasons they like C&C more than other RPG's had more of an impact than the standard sales pitches.

& I wonder who that customer would have been :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Some day I may have to try a CON that is most focused on CnC, or has you all at it... which one would that be?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Captain_K wrote:Some day I may have to try a CON that is most focused on CnC, or has you all at it... which one would that be?
Troll Con.....if not that then Garycon I managed to play a ton of C&C. Think 9 different games of it!

8-)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Captain_K wrote:Some day I may have to try a CON that is most focused on CnC, or has you all at it... which one would that be?
I keep trying to get the Trolls to Con on the Cob.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Post by SmokestackJones »

Treebore wrote:I think that I was there at NTRPGCon helped convince a couple of people to give it a try. I suspect having a customer standing there spelling out all the reasons they like C&C more than other RPG's had more of an impact than the standard sales pitches.
Having all the books half price helped. :mrgreen:

I picked up the current flipbook to look through before Mike Stewart's Victorious game and I gotta say it's working its' spell on me again (I had a copy of the 1st printing long ago but never played). I'm thinking it may be C&C for fantasy and Savage Worlds for everything else.

-SJ

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

SmokestackJones wrote:
Having all the books half price helped. :mrgreen:

I picked up the current flipbook to look through before Mike Stewart's Victorious game and I gotta say it's working its' spell on me again (I had a copy of the 1st printing long ago but never played). I'm thinking it may be C&C for fantasy and Savage Worlds for everything else.

-SJ
Oh yeah, Love me some SW! Just wrapped up playing in a Deadlands game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

darkpaladin45
Mist Elf

Post by darkpaladin45 »

Yeah, that half price sale at NTRPG sure helped. But as I said in my introduction post, Tyler was pretty enthusiastic about the system and gave me a pretty good pitch. If I didn't already have a full docket of games, I would have signed up for a C&C game to so I could try it out. I picked up the flip book, Rising Knight, CK screen, and the CK Guide to Haunted Highlands. I also have a copy of the Castles Keeper's Guide on its way to me. I am looking forward to running it.

-Chris

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Post by SmokestackJones »

darkpaladin45 wrote:Yeah, that half price sale at NTRPG sure helped. But as I said in my introduction post, Tyler was pretty enthusiastic about the system and gave me a pretty good pitch.
Hey, he got me to spring for Amazing Adventures last year.

I gotta crack that one open. Might be able to mine it for some Thrilling Tales games.

-SJ

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I do wonder if 5E's similarity to C&C might lead to some crossover? Of course, C&C does it better but from my admittedly small (2.5 games) of 5E I think the switch wouldn't be very traumatic.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

DMMike wrote:I do wonder if 5E's similarity to C&C might lead to some crossover? Of course, C&C does it better but from my admittedly small (2.5 games) of 5E I think the switch wouldn't be very traumatic.

Mike
Hmm. Now I really want to know what that half game was of the 2.5. Maybe Mike kept insisting on calling advantage "prime" until the GM rage quit running the session?

Or maybe Liz wanted to try a berserker, but some other guy insisted that "gals" can't play berserkers ("they'd wanna put a doily on their sword!" he said. ), so Liz had to put him in a choke hold until he cried uncle and the two of you have been on the lam ever since, drifting from con to con?

Why the half session, Mike?

:lol:

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Would not surprise me in the least if people came back to "The Game" because they heard 5e is easier to handle than 3e, and further heard that C&C was easier still than all the other editions. That's also a large part of why I got back into C&C - my work was finally starting to calm down, I bought the full triplet of 5e books, and I decided that C&C would be even cleaner.

The Trolls have sold enough books that they've had at least two kickstarters for more printings - a good problem to have. Looking forward to more goodness in C&C's future!
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

I can't speak for anyone else but me, but I was interested in finding the "feel" of the older games without some of their attached problems. So I was looking at various clone games. I realize some here don't like when C&C is listed as a clone, but so be it. That is how I found out about it. Read some reviews, came to visit the website, read some on the forum threads, and elected to buy into the game. The idea of finding the core feeling of my early game experiences was a draw for me. :D

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I didn't make anybody buy anything. I'm just an overly-verbose rambler. People give the Trolls money to shut me up. :lol:

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

C&C is my D&D go-to game, and Savage Worlds is my primary universal system for numerous genres. Even fantasy through SW was fine. All of that said, the Siege Engine works very well for other genres. I don't care what they say about Jason Vey. ;). Amazing Adventures is a great game for pulp. I also have high hopes for Victorious.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

In the absence of Troll Con, Gary Con is definitely your best bet. There were a crap ton of C&C events this year. Like 30+ if I remember correctly. It was a bit of a surprise seeing how many events made it to the event catalog. It was really slow at first with just 3 of us signed up to run C&C and then a tidal wave hit the last few days of event submission.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Officially, TLG had six games on the roster at Garycon. The other 22? shocked the Hell out of me. ;)

darkpaladin45
Mist Elf

Post by darkpaladin45 »

tylermo wrote:I didn't make anybody buy anything. I'm just an overly-verbose rambler. People give the Trolls money to shut me up. :lol:
:lol: That is pretty much exactly what I told you, too. "Save your voice, dude! You've made the sale." :)

-Chris

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Aramis wrote:
DMMike wrote:I do wonder if 5E's similarity to C&C might lead to some crossover? Of course, C&C does it better but from my admittedly small (2.5 games) of 5E I think the switch wouldn't be very traumatic.

Mike
Hmm. Now I really want to know what that half game was of the 2.5. Maybe Mike kept insisting on calling advantage "prime" until the GM rage quit running the session?

Or maybe Liz wanted to try a berserker, but some other guy insisted that "gals" can't play berserkers ("they'd wanna put a doily on their sword!" he said. ), so Liz had to put him in a choke hold until he cried uncle and the two of you have been on the lam ever since, drifting from con to con?

Why the half session, Mike?

:lol:
Nothing so interesting. I was playing a Skype 5E game with some guys from Homeland Security for about half an hour and then my dwarf fumbled and got et by a Purple Worm. I then spent the balance of the hour talking about Prince's new album "Purple Worm" and one of the guys playing helped me with various song lyrics.

I'm not making that up. I should've recorded it...but I probably couldn't have broken through the encryption. ;)

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Daniel wrote: I realize some here don't like when C&C is listed as a clone, but so be it. That is how I found out about it. :D
I just don't like it being called a clone because it isn't. So it is the wrong use of the word. The clones use the system of the original they are cloning. IE OSRIC is still the 1E AD&D mechanics, Labyrinth Lord is kind of a hodge podge, but still uses the mechanics of what came before. Swords and Wizardry uses the OD&D rules of the Little Brown Books. Unlike all of them, C&C has its own, original, Mechanic, so is in no way a clone, when the term is used properly. So its the improper use that bugs me. I like to call C&C what Steve has described C&C as since the beginning, "The Rosetta Stone" of D&D. I think that is the most accurate way to label C&C in its relation to the iterations of D&D, old or new. You can use anything, from any edition of D&D, with C&C, with relative ease. All because of the SIEGE mechanic.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote: I also have high hopes for Victorious.
As a long time play tester and proof reader for Victorious, I think its turned out rather awesome. I had serious doubts about ever liking it when I started play testing it, but the more I played, the more I liked how Mike wrote it. Now I am a solid fan of it, which is why I agreed to moderate the G+ Community for Victorious.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Treebore wrote:
Daniel wrote: I realize some here don't like when C&C is listed as a clone, but so be it. That is how I found out about it. :D
I just don't like it being called a clone because it isn't.
Oh I understand the point you are making, I am just saying I am glad it was on the list. I would not have found C&C without it being on that list. ;) :mrgreen: