Dwarven Tavern C&C reviews

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Dwarven Tavern C&C reviews

Post by Kayolan »

For those that haven't seen this channel already...

This guy has reviewed several C&C products.

Book of Familiars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9BIv994imc
Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnvHuVWXmpc
Of Gods & Monsters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ogc3x4an4
Codex Nordica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyUGdD2EJuM
Castle Keepers Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVg7k1i0Uo
Monsters & Treasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RppkoDdURXc
Players Handbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ya3zi1-5vo
Dwarven Tavern Interviews Troll Lord Games at Gen Con https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqpnnoB60-g

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Dwarven Tavern C&C reviews

Post by Treebore »

I don't know. While its great that the guy is giving such a positive review, I get the distinct feeling he might have spent the same amount of time reading through the books as he spends doing a review of them. IE less than 5 Minutes. He doesn't really convey, to me at least, a sense that he actually knows what the game is, what its about, how it actually comes together and plays. So he doesn't really give reviews I would listen to, advice wise, if I wasn't already a fan of C&C.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote:I don't know. While its great that the guy is giving such a positive review, I get the distinct feeling he might have spent the same amount of time reading through the books as he spends doing a review of them. IE less than 5 Minutes. He doesn't really convey, to me at least, a sense that he actually knows what the game is, what its about, how it actually comes together and plays. So he doesn't really give reviews I would listen to, advice wise, if I wasn't already a fan of C&C.
I didn't get that impression at all from his reviews. I do wish that the core books reviews were longer like the other ones he's done (that is, over 5 minutes), but I thought he did a decent job of describing the game, better though with the supplements. I look forward to more of his reviews in the future, hopefully they get more in depth and he doesn't go back to doing the "5 minute" review format.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:
Treebore wrote:I don't know. While its great that the guy is giving such a positive review, I get the distinct feeling he might have spent the same amount of time reading through the books as he spends doing a review of them. IE less than 5 Minutes. He doesn't really convey, to me at least, a sense that he actually knows what the game is, what its about, how it actually comes together and plays. So he doesn't really give reviews I would listen to, advice wise, if I wasn't already a fan of C&C.
I didn't get that impression at all from his reviews. I do wish that the core books reviews were longer like the other ones he's done (that is, over 5 minutes), but I thought he did a decent job of describing the game, better though with the supplements. I look forward to more of his reviews in the future, hopefully they get more in depth and he doesn't go back to doing the "5 minute" review format.

I think its because I watched the interview with Steve first. In his review of the PH he didn't say ANYTHING that wasn't said by Steve in the interview. For the CKG review he had to read from the table of Contents to tell you what is in the book, and once he was done he couldn't tell us anything new. So I really don't think he really knows anything about what is in the books. I mean, he thought a CK would need to have the CKG to CK, he never said about the PH, that it also has CK only info. In fact, he says the exact opposite, that what the CK needs to know is in the CKG and the PH is for players. So I wouldn't trust his opinion. Well, I don't, in fact. So glad he is so positive about C&C, but I don't believe he really read the books, or has even played C&C just a little bit. So he is not a reviewer I would turn to for advice on what RPG to try out next. Game Geeks is much more to my liking.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote: So glad he is so positive about C&C, but I don't believe he really read the books, or has even played C&C just a little bit. So he is not a reviewer I would turn to for advice on what RPG to try out next. Game Geeks is much more to my liking.
Makes me wonder, he did say that he uses the M&T of Aihrde, but you could use that for other games I suppose. At any rate, he may not necessarily be the best reviewer of C&C products, but it is good to have him out there doing what he does, there is so little said about C&C on youtube.

Has Game Geeks done any reviews for TLG products?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Has Game Geeks done any reviews for TLG products?

Not that I recall. I'd have to look at his episode Guide to find out.

Read through it, and out of his 240+ episodes he has never done C&C, unless of course I was reading too fast and skipped over it. I guess at over 14,000 core books sold, C&C isn't popular enough for him to review. Even though he reviews some pretty obscure games as it is.

Geoffrey McKinney
Mist Elf

Post by Geoffrey McKinney »

Treebore wrote:over 14,000 core books sold...
Over two years ago 12,000 copies of the C&C Players Handbook had been sold:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 37&t=59322

I'm sure more than 2,000 copies of M&T have been sold, not to mention all the copies of the Players Handbook sold since the end of 2012.

:)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Geoffrey McKinney wrote:
Treebore wrote:over 14,000 core books sold...
Over two years ago 12,000 copies of the C&C Players Handbook had been sold:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 37&t=59322

I'm sure more than 2,000 copies of M&T have been sold, not to mention all the copies of the Players Handbook sold since the end of 2012.

:)
I only consider the PHB to be the "core" book, because thats all I need to run C&C. I actually prefer using the 1E DMG and 2E Monster Manual over the M&T.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

14,000? I've given away that many copies of A0: The Rising Knight in C&C bundle deals. I'm telling you....Rising Knight will be in the hands of more people than Keep on the Borderlands ever was. It's my sole purpose on the con circuit. ;) Tim Burns alone, has heard my schpiel about the Rising Knight more times than he'd care to remember. :lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:14,000? I've given away that many copies of A0: The Rising Knight in C&C bundle deals. I'm telling you....Rising Knight will be in the hands of more people than Keep on the Borderlands ever was. It's my sole purpose on the con circuit. ;) Tim Burns alone, has heard my schpiel about the Rising Knight more times than he'd care to remember. :lol:
I'm just going by the number Steve gave in the 2013 Interview. I myself have long thought C&C had to have exceeded the 25,000 mark years ago in core book (PHB) sales.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

At this point, I figure Treebore is responsible for purchasing at least half of the 25,000 PHBs.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Truer words were never spoken, Serl. :lol:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

serleran wrote:At this point, I figure Treebore is responsible for purchasing at least half of the 25,000 PHBs.
Which begs the question. Many of us have more than one copy of the PHB, so the numbers, although still most likely impressive considering the size of the company, aren't totally indicative of how many people play it. So, how many of those sales are of multiple copies to the same buyer, and how many are to new buyers.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:At this point, I figure Treebore is responsible for purchasing at least half of the 25,000 PHBs.
Nope! Less than 30!

I always have multiple copies of any RPG I play or run face to face. Its just that C&C is the first one I went over 10 copies with. My second highest would be 7 copies of L5R 3E. Typically I get 3 copies of any RPG I run or my family plays as a group. So I have 5 copies, now, of 2E AD&D, since I bought the reprint a couple of years ago. I had 4 copies of 1E AD&D, but sold them down to 1 when I converted over to 2E, but I am back up to 3 copies now, including the reprints. For Aces and Eights I have 3 HC copies of the core book, plus a soft cover of the Players Book. So in general, 3 copies is the magic number for me and RPG's I like to run as well as play. Now, with PDF's and players who like to learn and play from PDF's, not so much. Lately, I buy a print and PDF, and put the PDF on my Drive, and let my players read it from there, until they typically get their own copies.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Treebore wrote: I always have multiple copies of any RPG I play or run face to face.
That is a great idea. I have bought and given out a few copies of games I am running but never had "extra house" copies.