Adventurer rations/provisions

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Re: Adventurer rations/provisions

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Tried it recently, but the rule ended up falling to the wayside. The barbarian just hunted and foraged for food when I tried to ding them on not having rations and water. The current campaign is set in a city, so there’s not really a need for carrying your own food (but I do make people pay cost of living expenses, so that evens out a bit).

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Tried it recently, but the rule ended up falling to the wayside. The barbarian just hunted and foraged for food when I tried to ding them on not having rations and water.
Depending on environment that can take the greater part of a day. Bringing travel to a slow crawl...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Interesting. Another thing to consider for those who use encumbrance.

2 weeks rations - ev = 8
cheese block - ev = 1
1 waterskin - ev = 3

[Aside ~ war hammer - ev 4, rations - ev 4] :D
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:Interesting. Another thing to consider for those who use encumbrance.

2 weeks rations - ev = 8
cheese block - ev = 1
1 waterskin - ev = 3

Makes those back packs important!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Interesting. Another thing to consider for those who use encumbrance.

2 weeks rations - ev = 8
cheese block - ev = 1
1 waterskin - ev = 3

Mules. One should always pack a mule in a pack on another mule.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

serleran wrote:
Treebore wrote:

2 weeks rations - ev = 8
cheese block - ev = 1
1 waterskin - ev = 3

Mules. One should always pack a mule in a pack on another mule.
Hmm, let me mule that over. Lessee, if I had a type III bag of holding, I could do that. But I'd need 7,400 GPs to purchase one. By the time I had that much gold, I'd be driving my diamond studded chariot and feed the mules to my servants! ;)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Following another train of thought . . heh, Tree mentioned earlier about having certain classes would help adventurer survival if they need food after rations run out (or to supplement them).

But, let's say your gaming group doesn't have a druid, barbarian or ranger. Say you have a paladin, rogue, fighter and wizard. Assume fishing gear and small or medium animal traps are had by the party.

They try to catch a fish or animal to cook. I also assume you would use a standard SEIGE check.

Would you do it, every hour . . or less?

It's certainly possible they could fail for many hours or more.

Are there any other factors/avenues/info that would go into the equation as to how the adventurers might fare when trying to get food?

Thanks!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'd go with the siege check ... say once ever ?D4? hours . that way it represents the luck factor in hunting/fishing.

I'd modify it for a background that fit. Say the Paladin was like mine in the Monday nigh FR game - Alwine, a poor rustic knight errant, with close ties and friendships with a couple of rangers - That would give him a bonus to the siege check - but not completely give him the true ranger's ability.

An added bonus would be to encourage good backgrounds and good role playing, instead of the character being just numbers on a paper and random dice results.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Everyone needs a pack mule, plus you could eat the thing in a pinch.. I made the "Manny" of the king's son (a 9th level fighter) carry around a Nanny Goat for fresh milk through the mountains.. he named the goat "dinner" and it had a NASTY disposition.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Rhuvein wrote:
Are there any other factors/avenues/info that would go into the equation as to how the adventurers might fare when trying to get food?

Thanks!
Wandering encounters, initiative, and combat. The combat might not need to play out and the Castle Keeper can simply decide "you're a fighter with bow specialization.... so, yes, you shot that rabbit." Or... "you're a rogue and know a thing or two about ambushes and traps so you pick a place and get... /*rolls dice*\ well, umm, a honey badger. Enjoy!"

There are many ways to do it. Whether it requires dice or not is a matter of style, not requirement.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Everyone needs a pack mule, plus you could eat the thing in a pinch.. I made the "Manny" of the king's son (a 9th level fighter) carry around a Nanny Goat for fresh milk through the mountains.. he named the goat "dinner" and it had a NASTY disposition.

:shock: :lol:

I like that!!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

You know, I have read a lot of personal journals by hunters and trappers form the early 1800's, with my favorite being Jebediah Smith. Those guys had absolutely no problem getting tons of animals and their furs. Smith spent less than a year out in the "wilds", lost his first team and the 20+ horses/mules laden with furs to Indians, and then on his way up to what is now Washington State, still hunted enough new furs via hunting and trapping to then retire off of the money he made.

So what I think people need to realize, is that the wild life of today is in no way anywhere close to being as numerous as they were less than 200 years ago. Same goes for fish, etc... We drain a LOT of the worlds resources feeding the billions of people on this planet today. Animals 200 years ago were EASILY 1,000 times as numerous as they are today, and in the case of fish 10,000 times more plentiful than today. So keep this in mind when your trying to decide how hard or easy it would be to hunt in a world that is far more like our world was 200 years ago.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

US hunting was the land of plenty after we committed genocide to the natives... over populated Europe might be harder to live by hunting, but most fantasy worlds filled with monsters must have plenty of game... so hunt and fish should be easy hunting if you want an all meat diet... get the Druid into it and plants and mushrooms could finish the rest.. but in a dungeon????? If you don't have a subterranean ranger or a dwarf or a drow well... better bring some twinkies...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Captain_K wrote:US hunting was the land of plenty after we committed genocide to the natives... over populated Europe might be harder to live by hunting, but most fantasy worlds filled with monsters must have plenty of game... so hunt and fish should be easy hunting if you want an all meat diet... get the Druid into it and plants and mushrooms could finish the rest.. but in a dungeon????? If you don't have a subterranean ranger or a dwarf or a drow well... better bring some twinkies...
Easy fellas, I wouldn't call the unintentional spread of diseases into a native population a genocide and I wouldn't use words like "we" on a public forum where many of us were not in NA at the time. If you wish to assume some guilt for something that happened long before you or your grand parents were born fine but don't drag everyone else down with you.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Captain_K wrote:US hunting was the land of plenty after we committed genocide to the natives...
Um, your history knowledge is almost completely lacking in this area. When the FIRST Europeans penetrated the upper mid-West and North West, BEFORE any diseases had spread, game was that plentiful. BEFORE the white man came buffalo herds covered hundreds of square miles. The reason? Because the native population was STONE AGE. They were not up to the technological point of having dense, permanent population centers that could make a large dent on the animal population. Nor di they posses the technology to mass kill them. Like the rifle to hunt with.

This was common knowledge and taught in schools when I was a kid. Looks like the public EDU system teaches almost nothing these days.

House Rules

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:So what I think people need to realize, is that the wild life of today is in no way anywhere close to being as numerous as they were less than 200 years ago. Same goes for fish, etc...
200, 500, 1,000 years ago China had LESS then the US has now. 200, 500, 1,000 years ago Western Europe was tapped out and mass death would occur if crops failed as there was almost no game available. It is size of population vs. area that determines this.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote:So what I think people need to realize, is that the wild life of today is in no way anywhere close to being as numerous as they were less than 200 years ago. Same goes for fish, etc...
200, 500, 1,000 years ago China had LESS then the US has now. 200, 500, 1,000 years ago Western Europe was tapped out and mass death would occur if crops failed as there was almost no game available. It is size of population vs. area that determines this.
Europe was not "tapped out" even going into WW1, nor was China, even this Century. If you want to know why China had the big famine die off in the early 1900's, you will want to reread the history books.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Europe was not "tapped out" even going into WW1, nor was China, even this Century.
Yes, they were. I've read dozens primary docs from the period in both places detailing this. Going all the way back to Court records prior to the Mongol invasions and after. Sorry to break it to ya. You need to study the original docs written at the times.

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Hmm, what about using spells to catch/kill animals for food?

Cleric - sound burst.
Wiz - magic missile.
Others

I can't recall anyone using a caster to try and get dinner on the table in any of the games I've played in.

Thoughts?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Rhuvein wrote:Hmm, what about using spells to catch/kill animals for food?

Cleric - sound burst.
Wiz - magic missile.
Others

I can't recall anyone using a caster to try and get dinner on the table in any of the games I've played in.

Thoughts?
There are plenty of them from non-C&C sources. I'd have to look over the PHB again but I guarantee sleep is beyond useful for this.

Also... gnomes. That ability to talk to burrowing mammals can be quite helpful when you want to coerce, say, a bunny into your belly. Nothing says you have to be honest with the intent of the speech. Albeit, this might be "evil" to some DMs.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

serleran wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Hmm, what about using spells to catch/kill animals for food?

Cleric - sound burst.
Wiz - magic missile.
Others

Thoughts?
There are plenty of them from non-C&C sources. I'd have to look over the PHB again but I guarantee sleep is beyond useful for this.

Also... gnomes. That ability to talk to burrowing mammals can be quite helpful when you want to coerce, say, a bunny into your belly. Nothing says you have to be honest with the intent of the speech. Albeit, this might be "evil" to some DMs.
Good thoughts . . . thanks!

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Tracking things like rations is something I do when the players are along for the ride. I have one group of friends I call the story players. They care about and see the "minutiae" as an important part of the game immersion. So we discuss the exact number of days they have left etc.

But there is a group I call the Dungeon Crawlers. They are just looking for a fight and some treasure. With that group I just subtract a set a % of their treasure to cover all the extra costs and let them get on with the fun.

Neither group is right, but the game is for fun and I try to adjust to match the group and thus provide as much fun for them and for me as I can. :D

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

More rations for thought:

A donkey costs 8 gp and can carry about 110 lbs.

A mule costs 25 gp and can carry about 200 lbs.

Seems like the mule is too costly! Perhaps a gp price adjustment in the PH may be in order.

I'll go with a burro for 5 gp! ;)

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Rhuvein wrote:More rations for thought:

A donkey costs 8 gp and can carry about 110 lbs.

A mule costs 25 gp and can carry about 200 lbs.

Seems like the mule is too costly! Perhaps a gp price adjustment in the PH may be in order.

:lol:

I do like the price. :mrgreen:

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rhuvein wrote:

The PHB doesn't give all the data. Firstly, mules can carry close to 400 lbs. if the horse parent was a draft horse. They are FAR more sure footed than a horse. Can travel further with less food & water and are disease resistant and hard to spook You can take them underground (horses hate doing so). So, I'd use 200 gp for a very large mule.

An adult cannot ride a donkey either. You can ride a mule.

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Ha, I don't see 1st level adventurers lining up around the block from the Mule Store to buy a large mule! 200 gps is a ridiculous figure!

They might not be able to afford a smaller mule, and thus the thought of purchasing a donkey.

A group would be looking to pack extra rations and perhaps more gear than their backpacks and sacks would hold.

I wasn't thinking of riding the pack animal, but if they could afford the mule then yes it might be the better way to go. They could take turns riding the beast and he wouldn't be over burdened by what they pack him with.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rhuvein wrote:Ha, I don't see 1st level adventurers lining up around the block from the Mule Store to buy a large mule! 200 gps is a ridiculous figure!
You're right. I looked it up. 13th Century England draught horse could be had for the equivalent of 10 G.P. C&C currency. Even if a mule, being harder to come by, was twice that, it would be 20 G.P.

Hey, looks like a typo. Drop a zero and the historic price fits the PHB price.

House Rules

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Arduin wrote: Hey, looks like a typo. Drop a zero and the historic price fits the PHB price.
I think the typo of 200gp was just in this thread. The PHB has them as 25gp.

I have always liked the idea of a mule(s) to help out the party. When I play as a character, I will buy one at some point if the party does not.

But it is true that if you have a mule, they become targets.

On a side track, what about Dogs? Used to guard camps etc. Do your characters buy them?

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Dogs are a great idea. I'm surprised that we have not used them very much in our online games.

A0 Rising Knight has the dog raiser Mathonwy. One of my nephews bought and trained with a fighting dog, who later came in very handy when the party faced 2 worgs, when traveling to Botkinburg.

The dog leaped and with a beautiful Nat 20, caught one worg in the throat and took him out. It was fabulous and of course, my other nephews were like, "Let's go back to Malforten and get some dogs!!"

:P

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:Dogs are a great idea. I'm surprised that we have not used them very much in our online games.

A0 Rising Knight has the dog raiser Mathonwy. One of my nephews bought and trained with a fighting dog, who later came in very handy when the party faced 2 worgs, when traveling to Botkinburg.

The dog leaped and with a beautiful Nat 20, caught one worg in the throat and took him out. It was fabulous and of course, my other nephews were like, "Let's go back to Malforten and get some dogs!!"

:P
In my A0 Mathonwy had Tagean Hound mixes. He kept them quiet because he had smuggled a puppy and bred it with local dogs, but probably could get in pretty big trouble if the wrong people found out.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com