Steve Chenault DESTROYED my C&C campaign

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Omote
Battle Stag

Steve Chenault DESTROYED my C&C campaign

Post by Omote »

So, four of my players visited the Troll Lord Games booth at GenCon this year, and it started a cataclysmic landslide of events that has forever doomed my current campaign, and perhaps all others.

Apparently, as the story goes, if you visit the TLG booth at GenCon, tell Steve Chenault a "story" (I'm not entirely sure what kind of story needs to be told, whether a gaming story, a story of the campaign, or some tale of drunken revelry at your step-sister's wedding) and buy the latest copy of the C&C Player's Handbook you are presented with an official TLG boon. Steve will write a special bonus you get for your character inside the front cover on the title page of the newly acquired PHB. This bonus can be a simple +1 to this or that, a +2 to something, perhaps trivial, +XP, or depending on the whim of He Who Sits Upon The Elephant's Back, something friggin' amazing!

Let me put it to you in this way, I play with a bunch of players who use to be (eh?) to be 3tards (players who love the 3E rules of the D&D game). They take special boons, privileges, and one-time rulings to the extreme, and need precise rulings on EVERYTHING! So let me say that some of TLG Steve's boons presented to my players this past GenCon were OK at best... until you dive into the punctuation and clarity of that boon. :shock:

This past Saturday, due to punctuation and clarity of said boon, we have players who want to quit their current characters and make all new ones under the, what we are now calling RULES BOON! present in one of my player's books. You think that might be the end of it, well no it wasn't. Some of the players who could not attend GenCon 2014 started asking me questions on how they could contact TLG Steve and where they should mail their check to when buying a new PHB. I told those lucky few, "alas, this boon is only presented at conventions like GenCon." Yeah, that argument didn't hold a lot of water with some of them. A few heightened words were said of Steve, GenCon, myself, and of the players that actually went to GenCon and got their PHB upgrades.

The players demanded a ruling and I spoke that He Who Sits On The Elephant's Back cannot be counter-dicted (is that even a word?) and the word was law. Oh, let me tell you the ensuing shit storm continued to pound my table like the God of Thunder himself laying low the myriad of chips, sodas, and craft beers placed upon the playing surface.

At the end of the tirades, when cooler heads prevailed and the beer was consumed, we all had a great laugh about the boons presented to the my players at GenCon 2014 this year. The arguments were a strengthening factor to the game, the players, and the system. In fact, I think that now we may have a 3-4 new GenCon attendees next year ready to plunk down their hard-earned (and hard-fought) gold pieces for a few new PHBs.

Forewarning to TLG Steve, that some of these players are already scheming on buying multiple PHBs with multiple different boons. And should Steve recognize the multiple-boon PHB buyers and refuse to give them additional bonuses, they have discussed having undercover buyers go in and get more boons.

Steve Chenault DESTROYED my C&C campaign. :lol:

~O

PS: This story is true, but a tad bit embellished. There were discussions, and some arguements, but everybody loved the idea, and I seriously think we have a few more GenCon attendees because of it. Fun stuff TLG.
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Steve Chenault DESTROYED my C&C campaign

Post by Rigon »

That's a fun story.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Steve Chenault once shot a man in 'Frisco just to watch him die.

True story ;-)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Steve Chenault can devide by zero.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

By telling this story, we now all have means to get said boon, especially as Steve is likely to forget whatever benefit he may have granted.... yet, doubtful he would forget the recollection of the same tale, repeatedly. Still, I think all who claim to be Society members are now duty bound to proclaim the utter game destruction that is Steve, else they receive nothing, even upon transference of funds. Or not.

In any case, you have now ruined it for us. Thanks, Omote.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Bill, is that "devide"? If so, presumably that's DEE-vide...southern speak for divide. :lol:

Yep. I remember Stephen putting those boons in more than few players books at GenCon. One or two customers asked for my autograph (in their phb) at GaryCon (2012). I told them I was just a fanboy booth guy, but he insisted. The value of that book went down immediately. :oops:

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Best typo ever! :lol:

Steve Chenault is the reason Waldo is hiding.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

After reading this I looked at my Monsters and Treasure and saw that Steve wrote inside the front cover that If I kill a Bargest I get to pick any non artefact magic item I want ( oh yeah ! ). I'm going to show the DM this if it ever happens ( my character asks around if anyone knows of a Bargest lair ) :D

IMP

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

ChaosImp wrote:After reading this I looked at my Monsters and Treasure and saw that Steve wrote inside the front cover that If I kill a Bargest I get to pick any non artefact magic item I want ( oh yeah ! ). I'm going to show the DM this if it ever happens ( my character asks around if anyone knows of a Bargest lair ) :D

IMP
Now you did it! Your DM is going to eliminate Bargest's from the campaign world.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be on the look out of people sneaking in from the same group, if they do I'll cook up some ambiguous backfiring boon! (I say that as if I'm that clever even on a good day!).

My apologies Sir Omote!

:?

Steve