New Low level undead request..

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

New Low level undead request..

Post by Captain_K »

Just for fun, I have an adventure coming up where I'd like to splice in some "unique" or "never before encountered" Undead. Don't have to be steaming evil either.. but something to slide in for the Cleric to go.. "Hey, Skeletons are not supposed to do that?!"

So I'm trolling for anyone interested in posting some new or special undead, nothing more powerful than Ghoulish ideally.

I was thinking of something like "Treasured Ancestor" which is the skeletal remains of a small tribe that has become gold plated and bejeweled over the centuries.. the people have died out but the ancestor remains... with the history and story of its people. Its pissed that its people have been "eliminated" by X or Z events.. it wants revenge.... Neutral something alignment... basic skeleton, better AC, but intelligent with 5th lvl character ability and high Charisma/leadership skills.

So any ideas are welcome, thanks, Cap
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Re: New Low level undead request..

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Gygax Mag #4 actually has some decent new low-level undead types. (skeletons & zombies) Hd are 2 or 3.
Skeletons- Flame, Dust, Ice, Rune, Shroud
Zombies- Charred, Feral, Plague, Drowned, Stitched

Maybe some ideas from the old adventure- Secret of Bone Hill. The Skelter & Zombire. Just slightly stronger intelligent undead with some low level spell-casting abilities. Like a mini-Lich.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I've always been fond of skeletons that shoot their finger bones off as magic missiles. that freaked out some of my players once. (I also jiggled a dice bag with only a few dice in it to simulate the clacking of the bones as the skellys stalked about... after the party ran away, simply jiggling the bag made teh players freak as the characters were hunted by the skeletons. it was awesome)

This could be freaky, maybe a skeleton with 3 hd and its head flies off to bite. being tiny, the skull has a high AC and it constantly babbles warnings of dire curses and such. there is no curse, it's just a magic mouth spell.

ooh, and skellys that crumble into a pile of bones when "killed". but they magically tumble back together after 1d6 rounds and keep fighting. maybe they can do this 2 or 3 times before the bones are shattered utterly or they are turned. basically, it plays possum each time it loses enough hp to equal a hit die.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The Goblinton:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11498&p=178268

What do you get when you cross Dracula and Santa Claus? A vampire that sucks the sap out of Christmas trees. Write that guy up, certainly a lesser vampire (maybe druids can turn it!)

I also made something the other day, the Nekrosekt, a wall-climbing undead "The Fly" type undead. I statted it as a zombie, it just can walk on walls too. Really, that's a good enough way to do most undead variants. Just use something that is there, and slap some extra weird stuff on them. And they turn as whatever their base type is.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't have access to the original stat block, so I'll just try to throw out an idea...

Crawlers are hands, feet, and other appendages (including the head) of individuals who died horrifically for the wrong reason -- it could be the result of wrongful, or excessive, punishment for a crime not committed or it could be mistaken identity or anything else the Castle Keeper wants. These creatures are quite adapt at moving and can scale virtually any surface at a rate of 30 feet. They are very skilled at stealth and surprise others 1 in 12. A crawler has between 1 and 3 HD (d6) with an attack form related to their appearance -- a hand will claw or slap (1d4 - 1d8 damage), a foot will kick (1d6 - 1d10 damage), and a head will bite (1d3 - 1d6 damage). Crawling heads can speak and can be affected by sensory magic, including illusions, but they (all crawlers) are otherwise immune to any spell except regeneration which destroys them. A crawler should be considered a rare undead for turning purposes. There will be between 1 and 8 encountered, sometimes all being sourced from the same donor but it is equally likely that each crawler has a different "parent."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

And here's one from The Windswept World... it uses my own stat block.

Abracadaver
Rarity: Very Rare
# Encountered: 1
HD: 1 - 6
AC: +0 - +4 [30%] or by armor [70%]
# Attacks (Damage): Claw (1d6 + Spelldrain) or Weapon (by weapon)
Special: Spell Mirror, Spelldrain, Hard to Turn
Save As: Wizard +4
Move: 6
Treasure: Individual [0% magical]
Average XP:
1 -2 HD: 38
3- 4 HD: 325
5 - 6 HD: 925

An abracadaver is the animated remains of warriors imbued with dark power to transform them into undead bodyguards. They obey all commands issued to them by their creator, or in absence, whatever final order was given, without delay or consideration of safety. Physically, abracadaver resemble ghouls and are often mistaken as such.

Spell Mirror: Spells that directly target an abracadaver are reflected to their caster as per the standard rules for spell turning. Area of effect spells are not redirected but the abracadaver receives a randomly determined bonus on any required save of +1 - +10.

Spelldrain: The touch of an abracadaver draws away magic. A spellcaster that is touched has one of their lowest-level spell slots unavailable as if a spell of that level had been cast, this cumulative for each touch. This also prevents the abracadaver from possessing any magical item.

Hard to Turn: An abracadaver is treated as having +3 HD when resisting turning attempts both for the difficulty of the roll and for damage dice inflicted.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

Ok. A vampiric plant of some type, like a thorn bush that envelops a supplicant (willing or unwilling) and turns them into a minor league vampire...minor league vampires of a couple of HD and they'll drink for 1d4/round if they get a latch onto you. (Not much more dangerous than stirges...but the PCs don't know that) They can be taken down by normal means.

Problem is, the plant itself has the power to respawn them in a few rounds if they are killed. The only way to truly neutralize them is to hack down the plant which is nearby somewhere. (You HAVE to give the PCs a means to figure this out)

Added bonus: Maybe the plant has a charm effect when the PCs get close it will try and charm them into supplication.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great ideas all, I like the bits and pieces, the pile of dust and the ideas for just something odd on them. Sometimes the normal, with a new wrap is all it take, play them odd, make them aquatic, etc. is all it takes to add adventure and a new twist of fun to "oh some skeletons"..

THANKS!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

A variant that I used in one of my dungeons;

Withered Zombie
A Withered Zombie is merely a zombie that has existed so long in an environment that is prone to preserving flesh, that it mummifies instead of rotting away to a mere skeleton. This process results in a zombie that is a bit weaker than those much “fresher” and a bit more resistant to damage.
Use the regular stats for a Zombie with the following changes;
HD: 2(d6)
Attack: Slam (1d6
Special: add ½ damage from edged weapons.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

How about some symbiotic or odd combos, just some spit balling here..
1) Zombies infested with rot grubs and ear seekers
2) Zombie Stirges
3) Skeletal wolves
4) 1/2 zombie and 1/2 skeleton, a simple mix, nothing fancy
5) Palace guards so loyal they do not know they are dead, skeletal, fighters assigned to guard something, 2-3 HD (fighters), work as a unit, good armor and weapons, actually kept in good condition... the task is to convince them they are no longer needed to guard, their duty is fulfilled, and let them laydown and be at peace.

OK, that did not go so good, I was hoping for more creative things to just pop out.. well time to seek one's muse, now where is that Absente????

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

How about an Undead that is not evil for once.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Captain_K wrote:How about some symbiotic or odd combos, just some spit balling here..
1) Zombies infested with rot grubs and ear seekers
OMG! That's the best idea EVER! and such a clue to the party that they should cover up less they face the same fate. i love it!
Captain_K wrote: 5) Palace guards so loyal they do not know they are dead, skeletal, fighters assigned to guard something, 2-3 HD (fighters), work as a unit, good armor and weapons, actually kept in good condition... the task is to convince them they are no longer needed to guard, their duty is fulfilled, and let them laydown and be at peace.
Actually, I ran an enounter that was almost the same, though less subtle. They were guarding the kings tomb, counldn't be turned or reasoned with. Their hook was that this had been a warband of singing commandoes, so their half decayed throats produced a weird, eerie warble instead of a healthy voice. The undead warriors stalked the PCs neearly all the way back to the entrance of the tomb, and I just had to begin singing this weird awful sound to really spook the players again. FUN!

Ken: I think we lost them... lets keep exploring. Stu: Ok, I'll pick the lock on this room
DM: (rolls pick locks in secret) you can't manage to get the lock open.
Dana: screw it, i kick the door open.
DM: Bang! the door flies open, revealing an empty, dusty room.
Stu: subtle...
DM: doo dooo wooo eeeee wooooo
Ken: Oh shit! it's those dead fighters! where are they coming from.

:)

But helping them realize what's up and to lay themselves to rest, I really dig that angle.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Blood Axe, Check out the post on "Ghast NPCs" for a fun line on that one. I think I agree with you. Some are Neutral. Its a big decision that undead are powered by Negative Energies they are "unlife" their for its opposite, life is good so they must be evil.. but life if full of living evil so some undead could be good.. I have had exceptionally good creatures remain good in the after life when it was forced on them. I have a killer (no pun intended) vampire adventure that pits a seemingly Lawful Good Paladin, The Golden Knight, (Golden Plate Mail) with the PCs against three ancient and evil vampires. The group of PCs is hired, against their will, by this trio (mage, priest and thief) and Goldie helps them.. until they are attacked by The White Knight who reveals that Goldie is really a vampire too acting good. She should know she is also a vampire turned by Goldie (who happens to be her father), but she refuses to be corrupted and her new mission in this unlife is to destroy undead... she shifts into a dove, a silver fox, and a white rabbit. Anyway, the whole what or who or when is Evil really evil was fun to toy with..

But I love the idea, undead that are that way for other reasons... a mother guarding a child after her death, a shamin safe guarding its people well past their normal span of years.. great input bloodaxe

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Idea, Priest of Arwan (Celtic Death God), god allows his priests to animate mindless undead to relocate their bodies to holy ground (burial mounds). The priest animates comrades to sacred ground and fallen enemies alike. Each is eventually interned in specialized burial mounds with places of honor within specific locations. Ex A raven shaped mound with heroes in the head, and fallen enemies in the belly, allies in the wings, etc. So those animated undead zombies and some skeletons are Neutral and do the Priest bidding between animation at death and their internment in the sacred mound which occurs say monthly, but until then they "work for the priest".

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

On the infested zombie front, I kind of recall big floating spore sacs that looked like beholders.. infest a zombie with those spores. Or any of the other fungus/spore plants/fungus or other odd thing.. Think of a series of areas where zombies in each area have different "infections'... a mad professor sort of lab.. think of it like "the made necromancer's lab".. could be fun.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Use of the existing fleshcrawler inside a creature like a zombie can lead to some very unexpected events. Or, can be used to assume undead without actually being such. One of my favorite encounters with them was an infestation of troglodytes.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

The great paladin Ralgorax, the

Sword of Tyr, in the dead of night

roused the sleeping northern village

where he had been born, riding his

charger down its streets and banging

his great sword against his shield. He

warned of an oncoming orc horde

and slew its boldest scouts as the vil-

lagers scrambled to gather their

belongings and flee.

The next day, after the paladins blade

had slain many an orc, the full light of

day revealed that Ralgoraxs flesh was

withered. He bore old death wounds,

and the horse beneath him was also car-

rion. He smiled sadly at their revulsion,

saluted, and rode away-into the

horde.

===========

A neat little story I found. Not all Undead must be evil. Maybe duty is stronger than death or they even refuse to believe they are dead at all.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

In my personal game, I tend to make the majority of undead neutral. Just as they are neither alive nor dead do they care for the qualms and mores of Good and Evil.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

In CnC, Are skeletons and zombies supposed to be Neutral? Negative energy, does that assume or mean must be Evil.. per the CnC rules or common core rules?

I've picked up some excellent ideas here, I'm going to have some excellent fun with at least 7 new kinds of undead...

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I've always thought that to be good or evil, a creature must have motivation to act the way it does. That requires intelligence. Since skeletons and zombies have little to no intelligence, being little more than mindless automatons, neutral isn't a stretch.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Traveller wrote:I've always thought that to be good or evil, a creature must have motivation to act the way it does. That requires intelligence. Since skeletons and zombies have little to no intelligence, being little more than mindless automatons, neutral isn't a stretch.
You are correct. Mindless = neutral
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Mindless does not have to equate to neutrality. For example, a creature such as a golem programmed to slaughter, such as a Terminator, might be considered Evil in some fashion. Which axis, though, is debatable but likely not Chaotic.

In its absolutely natural state, very low (Animal or less) Intelligence probably means Neutral, though. Also, something that seeks to survive only (this is where the majority of animals fall) is probably Neutral-aligned, without regard for its acumen.