Wild animal loose in the city...

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Shadowslayer
Ungern

Wild animal loose in the city...

Post by Shadowslayer »

Just looking for a little inspiration.

A wild animal, I'm thinking a saber tooth cat, escapes his cage and is loose in the citadel.

I'm looking for a way to make it a little more interesting than just

they:"We look around"
me: "OK you find it. What do you do"

The only parameter I have is that there can be no question of capture. Its diseased (essentially rabid) and needs to be put down. (My players aren't ready for moral ambiguities yet)

But what's a decent, interesting, but simple way to run this encounter? Or am I thinking too hard?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Wild animal loose in the city...

Post by Rigon »

You could "cat and mouse" them. Have the cat stalk them, do some hit and run encounters, and such.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Isn't this pretty much the plot of the module "Lion in the Ropes"? But there's a twist.

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cclion.pdf
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Aergraith wrote:Isn't this pretty much the plot of the module "Lion in the Ropes"? But there's a twist.

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cclion.pdf
Sort of, but not really.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

You could have them investigate the aftermath of cat attacks on NPC's. Maybe some close calls where the cat is found and escapes.

Maybe a NPC that doesn't see eye to eye, with the consensus and believes the cat shouldn't be killed but caught live and released to it's normal habitat. They could be attached to the group and used NPC wise. In the search for the cat it can become self-evident that this person will hinder any attempt at killing the cat. (Some kind of royal zoo master?)

Another thing I'd try to do is give them a map of the city and as they interview people who have been attacked or have sighted the cat, if graphed- point style- on the map, eventually it'll become obvious where the cat is holed-up so it becomes obvious where they need to concentrate their seeking and hopefully encourages them to develop a plan and set-up traps to catch the cat.

You can shape the investigation how you want with these interviews. If you truly want the cat to be sick, the interviews could reflect this. If you want the PC's being lied to about the health of the cat, the interviews could also reflect this. A sick cat and a healthy cat do not react the same way.

Depending how persuasive the zoo master is, this would be an opportunity to set live traps. So, it is possible- if you are so inclined- to have the part about the cat being sick wrong and the party was lied to.

I know you said "no" to moral ambiguity, but if it is run in this way, you have an NPC to help guide the PC's to the truth, "The cat is not sick, it is scared and hungry." and give them the ability to form a plan and create live traps can be just as much fun and provide- in my opinion- a better feeling of success. Imagine, a C&C episode where no one dies (Maybe hurt on close calls.) and you still get that sense of accomplishment.

Of course as a CK you are really going to have to put on a very good NPC hat. It is the NPC's that are going to sell this adventure.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

This is really very cool.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Shadowslayer wrote:Just looking for a little inspiration.

A wild animal, I'm thinking a saber tooth cat, escapes his cage and is loose in the citadel.

I'm looking for a way to make it a little more interesting than just

they:"We look around"
me: "OK you find it. What do you do"

The only parameter I have is that there can be no question of capture. Its diseased (essentially rabid) and needs to be put down. (My players aren't ready for moral ambiguities yet)

But what's a decent, interesting, but simple way to run this encounter? Or am I thinking too hard?
How about modelling it on the hunt for the forvalaka in the streets of Beryl with the Black Company (it occurs at the beginning of the book-here is a link to the preview)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Company ... 308&sr=8-1

I wouldn't copy the book over wholesale, but something like (slight spoilers):

Set up a faction riddled city on the cusp of open warfare in the streets. Players come across an odd set of tombs that people avoid, muttering prayers. Old wives tales about the forvalaka (vampiric cannibalistic were leopards), now thankfully trapped in the tomb. As the conflict in the city heats up, one faction breaks into the tomb to use the demon to defeat their enemies once and for all. But, of course, the forvalaka escapes, and now, as there are running battles in the streets between the factions, this dark terror from the city's past stalks the night, seemingly killing indiscriminately. Seemingly...

One faction employs the PCs to get the forvalaka. So start with the aftermath of a forvalaka attack (or is it?), then CSI clue gathering, maybe some interrogations, then a hint the forvalaka is being used by/co operating with someone, then another attack, then a chase of the fleeing forvalaka through the chaotic streets at midnight, then ???

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

Fiffergrund wrote:This is really very cool.
Seconded.

I had been thinking of this as almost a throwaway encounter...but maybe Ill scrap the cat thing until I can do it up right, and save this for later.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Very cool, Ironside!
Maybe to add a fantasy edge to it, it's a rare cat and some NPC wizard wants its teeth or fur or eyes or whatever for spell components. depending if the animal must be put down or kept alive, this adds a complication. Or being magical, maybe it's invincible or something in an unusual way.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781