Too tough?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Post Reply
User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Too tough?

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm working on a new adventure for my home campaign. The party includes a level 2 barbarian PC, 1st level PCs, a level 2 cleric NPC, and a level 2 monk NPC. I'm likely to only have two PCs including the barbarian plus the NPCs at the next session. I'm thinking of throwing some 1 HD frogmen, some troglodytes, and a couple salamanders (5 HD) at the party. I'm afraid the salamanders might be too tough. Any thoughts?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm
Location: Granite quarry

Re: Too tough?

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'm thinking of throwing some 1 HD frogmen, some troglodytes, and a couple salamanders (5 HD) at the party. I'm afraid the salamanders might be too tough. Any thoughts?
Could be a problem. Depends on how good the players are and what equip & spells are available.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Too tough?

Post by Treebore »

As long as you only throw it at them, and their HD are a total of 5 HD or more, it should go fine.You may want to give it less than 25 HP too. Use it along with some of the other monsters, it may turn out deadlier than you would like, unless the dice love the party and hate you. But the basic rule of thumb, excluding any powerful extra abilities, such as spell casting and breath weapons, is as long as the HD of the monsters equals the HD of the party, it should be "fair", again depending on how the dice rolls go.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Too tough?

Post by Relaxo »

If a couple is too tough, how about one?

Don't forget, they're allowed to run away. and poof! instant nemesis! hooray!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Shadowslayer
Ungern
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:00 am
Location: London Ontario Canada

Re: Too tough?

Post by Shadowslayer »

Relaxo wrote: Don't forget, they're allowed to run away. and poof! instant nemesis! hooray!
Only problem with that is that, in my experience, is that by the time they figure out they should run, its too late.

A Salamander is hit on a 19. A second level fighter probably has to roll a natural 14 (or thereabouts) to hit him. That's up there for low level PCs, and the tail slap/constrict/heat combo could waste one of these guys inside of 1 unlucky round.

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd probably wait on the Salamanders. Either that or use one, but don't give them both barrels, if you get my meaning. A young one with a couple HD knocked off might be fun too.

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Too tough?

Post by Buttmonkey »

Shadowslayer wrote:
Relaxo wrote: Don't forget, they're allowed to run away. and poof! instant nemesis! hooray!
Only problem with that is that, in my experience, is that by the time they figure out they should run, its too late.

A Salamander is hit on a 19. A second level fighter probably has to roll a natural 14 (or thereabouts) to hit him. That's up there for low level PCs, and the tail slap/constrict/heat combo could waste one of these guys inside of 1 unlucky round.

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd probably wait on the Salamanders. Either that or use one, but don't give them both barrels, if you get my meaning. A young one with a couple HD knocked off might be fun too.
Or a couple young ones with somewhat reduced stats. :!:
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 am
Location: The Court of the Crimson King

Re: Too tough?

Post by alcyone »

I was going to say, way back in the day, we made Morale checks and combats were more survivable. But the Salamander would have a base morale of 87%, so maybe not.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Too tough?

Post by Buttmonkey »

Aergraith wrote:I was going to say, way back in the day, we made Morale checks and combats were more survivable. But the Salamander would have a base morale of 87%, so maybe not.
Huh? I didn't think there are morale rules in C&C. Are you working off 1E or something for that percentage?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

User avatar
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm
Location: Granite quarry

Re: Too tough?

Post by Arduin »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Aergraith wrote:I was going to say, way back in the day, we made Morale checks and combats were more survivable. But the Salamander would have a base morale of 87%, so maybe not.
Huh? I didn't think there are morale rules in C&C. Are you working off 1E or something for that percentage?

Even in !E Gary said for the DM to rely on common sense rather than use morale dice rolls.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 am
Location: The Court of the Crimson King

Re: Too tough?

Post by alcyone »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Aergraith wrote:I was going to say, way back in the day, we made Morale checks and combats were more survivable. But the Salamander would have a base morale of 87%, so maybe not.
Huh? I didn't think there are morale rules in C&C. Are you working off 1E or something for that percentage?
Yes, was looking in 1e.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Too tough?

Post by Relaxo »

Shadowslayer wrote: Only problem with that is that, in my experience, is that by the time they figure out they should run, its too late.
Yeah, that's always true. Myself included! :lol:
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:00 am
Location: Los Angeles County, CA

Re: Too tough?

Post by Pat Payne »

Relaxo wrote:
Shadowslayer wrote: Only problem with that is that, in my experience, is that by the time they figure out they should run, its too late.
Yeah, that's always true. Myself included! :lol:
Then, there are those who never figure it out, even when they have clues dumped on their head like anvils... I can remember a paladin in one of my campaigns, who got knocked down to negatives by an encounter intended for the entire party (they decided to split into two groups to do a pincer-style movement on their goal), got healed up by the party druid, and then needed to be clobbered by said druid and tied to his bear animal companion to prevent him from going all Leeroy Jenkins a second time... :lol:

User avatar
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2282
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: North Coast

Re: Too tough?

Post by Captain_K »

If the bad guys win, have the PC "wake up" as prisoners, not everyone kills their enemies especially if you drop PC at 0 to -10 without going beyond.... I assume the frogs and trogs are not in the same group as the fire base salamanders... with an Int of only better than average.. let your thief and mage be "smarter" and thus notice (if the PCs can't just figure it out) a way to escape, a way to get their stuff back, etc. prior to heat stroke. assuming the CC salamander is as the old MM version "no one knows why these elemental fire creatures come to our plane..", well then you could let your group find out.. you know something evil like forcing them to endure the comfy chair or listen to them sing or be hosts to their eggs or etc..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

User avatar
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2031
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Too tough?

Post by Buttmonkey »

The salamander(s) is/are being worshipped by the frogmen. The trogs are the unfortunate slaves of the frogmen. Individually, the trogs are tougher than the frogmen, but they are less intelligent and seriously outnumbered. There's another fire-based monster in M&T whose name I can't remember that is also thrown into the mix. It's a nasty little creature that is so hot it can burrow through rock. It balls up when enemies approach and then explodes at them when they get too near. That thing is basically a pet/guard monster for the salamander(s).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Post Reply