What other games do you borrow from besides D&D/Pathfinder?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Shadowslayer
Ungern

What other games do you borrow from besides D&D/Pathfinder?

Post by Shadowslayer »

Recently I snagged a used copy of the first Dragon Age RPG box. Not so much the play the game, but for inspiration...and I kinda like the dark tone to the stories and artwork in it.

Anyway, its a pretty basic game, and it has a subsystem of stunts that's kind of neat. Basically, you roll an attack or skill check on 2d6, except you roll an additional d6 of a different color as well - The Dragon Die. (So say, two white d6s and a red one.) If your two white dice come up doubles, you recieve a number of stunt points equalling whatever comes up on the red die. Stunt points are kind of like hero points in that you can buy things like rerolls, max damage, funky combat moves etc.

I was pondering doing something like this with my C&C game, and it just made me wonder if there's any other games that guys are borrowing from to embellish their C&C game, aside from D&D/Pathfinder. I'm talking about bolt on stuff like the stunts mentioned above, or even things that promote better RP. (I've heard of games where you roll on a table to determine your PCs relationship with the PC of the player to your left, etc.)

Not really looking at changing what's already there for C&C...I'm happy with that. I'm just looking for a bit of add-on fun.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What other games do you borrow from besides D&D/Pathfind

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've stolen mutations from Gamma World/Mutant Future to simulate psionics or the effects of exposure to magical energies. I've used the combat system add-ons from Scarlet Heroes when running with just one PC.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I borrow nothing from 3.x/Pathfinder. I sometimes get something I need as a GM from the AD&D 1st Ed DMG.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'd say I steal from Palladium Fantasy pretty regularly. Not so much mechanics, but some of the tone and ideas relating to magic and wizardry (ley lines, solstices, ritual sacrifice, summoning the dead for help upon the paths of true magic). I just recently began thinking about how to incorporate mechanical effects to some of these ideas within the C&C game structure. Tonally, most of that is already in my games. But the tough nut to crack is in the mechanics. Hmm. Maybe I don't really need to as I haven't needed to yet.

I have borrowed some spells and ideas from earlier versions of D&D (or course); things like non-weapon proficiency, spells, and weapon mastery.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Arduin wrote:I borrow nothing from 3.x/Pathfinder.
THIS.
Arduin wrote:I sometimes get something I need as a GM from the AD&D 1st Ed DMG.
That book is platinum! 8-)

I borrow from Ars Magica quite a bit.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I don't think I have stolen any rules mechanics from anything. I have stolen the "idea" of feats from 3E in that I allow SIEGE checks to pull off Feat like actions, such as Cleaving, Power Attacks, etc... I have also stolen the idea from 4E of giving spell casters something "magical" to do even when out of all their spells, so created my Divine/Arcane Blast house rule. Aside from that I take ideas and inspiration from any of the RPG's I own for my C&C games, so Chivalry and Sorcery, Paladium Fantasy, Hackmaster, Harn, Runequest, EPIC RPG, Pendragon, Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, RIFTS, Synnibar, every edition of D&D, and pretty much anything that gives me an idea I like.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I use a lot of material (monsters, adventures, settings) made for OSR games. games like Swords and wizardry, Labyrinth lord, & Basic fantasy.

I think any one of these games could be borrowed from easily.

Adventures Dark & Deep
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
B/X Companion (blog)
Companion Expansion
Dark Dungeons
Dragons at Dawn
Delving Deeper
Donjon webpage
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Dungeonslayers
Elegia
Epées & Sorcellerie
Errant RPG
The Fantasy Quest
Fire & Sword
For Gold & Glory
Gods & Monsters (webpage)
Hackmaster Basic
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Legends of the Ancient World
Liber Zero (blog)
Long Live the Fighting Men and Magic-Users!
Mazes & Minotaurs
Mazes & Perils
Microlite74 Version 2.0
Microlite75
MyD20 Lite
Myth & Magic
Old Edition Delta
Old School Hack
Open Quest (webpage)
OSRIC
Pars Fortuna (downloads)
Primodial OD&D (blog)
Red Box Fantasy
Red Box Hack (downloads)
Redwald (blog)
Siege Perilous
Spellcraft & Swordplay
Sword & Board
Swords & Wizardry (WhiteBox, Core Rules, and Complete)
Target 20 System (download)
Vikings & Valkyries
Warrior & Wizard (wiki)
Warriors, Wizards & Worms
Wayfarers
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Instead of using skills I like to use the "background" rules from 13th Age. Basically you get 8 points to put into backgrounds. Each background is a lot like a skill package, only you don't have to determine beforehand what each background can do.

For example, "studied alchemy with the Archmage" could help you if you are trying to read something, hoping to know about the history of the Archmage, trying to do something with alchemy, or whatever. If the situation seems to merit it you just tell the GM "I studied alchemy with the Archmage and this is why I think I should get a bonus for XX" and then the GM rules from there.

It's better than just doing stat checks, and better than having an overly complex skill list. (In my opinion.)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I like this. But is it worth enough to spend money on 13th Age? Hmmm . . .

finarvyn wrote:Instead of using skills I like to use the "background" rules from 13th Age. Basically you get 8 points to put into backgrounds. Each background is a lot like a skill package, only you don't have to determine beforehand what each background can do.

For example, "studied alchemy with the Archmage" could help you if you are trying to read something, hoping to know about the history of the Archmage, trying to do something with alchemy, or whatever. If the situation seems to merit it you just tell the GM "I studied alchemy with the Archmage and this is why I think I should get a bonus for XX" and then the GM rules from there.

It's better than just doing stat checks, and better than having an overly complex skill list. (In my opinion.)

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

dachda wrote:I like this. But is it worth enough to spend money on 13th Age? Hmmm . . .

finarvyn wrote:Instead of using skills I like to use the "background" rules from 13th Age. Basically you get 8 points to put into backgrounds. Each background is a lot like a skill package, only you don't have to determine beforehand what each background can do.

I never use predefined stuff like this. It seldom, if ever, fits with a home brew world. Common sense is easier. I usually don't allow exotic back-stories as players tend to get ridiculous. If someone came from a farming background they know stuff a farmer would know. If their father was a farrier he knows how to use the tool of that trade and is a good judge of horses. KISS.

House Rules

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

dachda wrote:I like this. But is it worth enough to spend money on 13th Age? Hmmm . . .

I think there is a SRD you can download that has core rules so you wouldn't have to buy the rulebook. It's probably on the Pelgrane Press page...

Or, I've given you the basics for the rule already. You wouldn't need much else. The key is that the players help to "author" the world by creating ideas that the GM can use as plot hooks, etc.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:

I never use predefined stuff like this. It seldom, if ever, fits with a home brew world. Common sense is easier. I usually don't allow exotic back-stories as players tend to get ridiculous. If someone came from a farming background they know stuff a farmer would know. If their father was a farrier he knows how to use the tool of that trade and is a good judge of horses. KISS.
See, I don't get this, but maybe I am just lucky in that my players who actually do these write ups are pretty darn creative. Don't get me wrong, I have seen enough players to where I know the problem your talking about can pop up, and it has for me as well over nearly 3 decades of regular gaming. Even so, its easy enough to deal with, I just say, "Thats nonsense because of X, Y, Z, and D, so either do it again, or forget about it."
That aside, when it works, the players kind of blow me away with how great their creativity is in making it work for their character, despite how they otherwise had a very mundane "background", such as being a simple farmer. So over all, I think its a potential problem that is worth dealing with, simply because when you do have players that give you that surprisingly workable background, you get to enjoy it as the CK/GM as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
See, I don't get this,
I said I don't allow EXOTIC back-stories. Not back-stories in general. They can be general or detailed. Simple or complex. Just not exotic.

E.g. My father was a wandering Dragon tamer and translator of outer-planer languages and in his spare time, an alchemist. He taught me much of his skills before I left home at age 18 to become a street urchin and then Rogue

House Rules

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

I guess its a matter of asking what your purpose is in having PC backstories in the first place.

Honestly, as a DM I don't care a whit if the PC's background explains his ability set or not. He has the abilities, he rolled them or picked them out of the PHB. He has them and that's that. No background necessary.

What I'm looking for in a PC background is something I can use to propel the game forward. Maybe when the PC was a child, his father was in a band of mercenaries who set out to find the Lost Something-of-Something...left one day with his companions and was never heard from again. That's something a DM can use.

If the PCs backstory doesn't fit the world for whatever reason, then that is my failure as DM...I didn't set the parameters right, or I just plain didn't give them anything to go on. It helps to have a document outlining/summing up the starting region of the campaign. (For brevity, it helps immensely if you deal in regions and not entire worlds ) Give that doc to the players BEFORE they write backstories, then tell them that if they want to write one, their story has to tie into something that's already written in that doc somehow.

Having said that, I'd never demand that they write one. This is gaming, not english class. And besides, maybe sitting down with each player and hammering out a simple background together might be more productive than just sending the player on his way to do it as homework. That way i don't put myself in the distasteful position of having to approve or disapprove someone's work.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Dragon age stunts. I love them. They are fun and add spice to your combat. Yes, this means using 3d6 instead of d20, but there is something very satisfying about seeing those doubles pop up. However, I haven't figured out how to make it work for magic users. Especially since they don't roll to attack, per se.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

jdizzy001 wrote:Dragon age stunts. I love them. They are fun and add spice to your combat. Yes, this means using 3d6 instead of d20, but there is something very satisfying about seeing those doubles pop up. However, I haven't figured out how to make it work for magic users. Especially since they don't roll to attack, per se.
I don't have as much time to devote to this as I'd like, but I was considering it as something you get whenever you roll a natural 20. (on anything) Then you roll the d6 to see how many points you get. I'd thought of compiling a small list of some CnC-ized 4e encounter and daily powers that you can blow your points on to use.

Not sure if ill ever have enough time to do this up right though.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

The probability of rolling a stunt in drpg is ~26%. To correctly convert it, you should consider stunting on a roll of 15+. Just an idea.