Help us decide what to put on our screens!

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
timburns
Ulthal

Help us decide what to put on our screens!

Post by timburns »

Greetings fellow travelers! This new printing of the Players Handbook, CKG, MT will come with new screens. We are looking into reviving both the portrait and landscape screens.

But with a game like C&C, that is essentially fairly simple, it becomes a challenge to figure out what should go on the screens. Though I won't play without screens I truthfully only use one thing on the screens (other than to block my notes and dice rolls) and that's the cost of food and beverages, room and board.

So we'd like to put it to you. Post your ideas directly at this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67 ... s/comments in the comments section, on what you'd like to see on the C&C screens. We'll compile them, go over them compare with what we have and if it looks doable, even put a poll up. You can comment here on the forums, but we will be focusing on the other area in the kickstarter, so best to comment there.

We'd love to hear want you would like to see on the screens!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Help us decide what to put on our screens!

Post by Relaxo »

an extra-big serving of Peter's cheesecake! ;)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Relaxo wrote:an extra-big serving of Peter's cheesecake! ;)
Funny, I was thinking the opposite. I've gotten negative reactions from women players about Peter's half naked fighters on the screens and I agree with them. I'm kinda tired of men in full armor fighting next to women in chainmail bikinis. For one, no one in their right mind would fight with a sword, with half their body exposed (certain barbarian tribes as an exception), and for two it tends to perpetuate the notion that RPGers are sexist. And as a grown-up in my late 40's I'm embarrassed by cheesecake pictures in my gaming. I'm not a teenager any more!

Okay, discuss . . . I'm sure my comments will create some reactions . . .

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Put this in large bold type facing the players: Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

First, let me say that Peter does some fantastic cheese cake. I'm totally torn. Because while I love it, I understand why people don't, or how it could be offputting to female gamers. But c'mon. If you have a problem because chainmail bikinis are not realistic enough, you're not playing this fantasy RPG properly. I often try to decide, which is more realistic, scantily clad female warriors (and men, see: barbarians), or spells that turn people into frogs or bring them back from the dead 2 days later. We readily accept the realism of the latter but question the realist of the former? Does not compute.

If we're going to ban the cheesecake, it's got to be justified as an accommodation to a subsection of desired players, not due to a lack of realism.

I'm a huge proponent of women doing what they want, making their lives what they want and I like cheesecake. Enjoying cheesecake doesn't mean you're sexist.

That being said, I'll agree, no cheesecake on the screens themselves. The books can be closed and put away. But the screens are up non-stop. And while I love cheesecake, I don't think it needs to be "in your face" the whole time.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mbeacom wrote:female gamers. But c'mon. If you have a problem because chainmail bikinis are not realistic enough, you're not playing this fantasy RPG properly. I often try to decide, which is more realistic, scantily clad female warriors (and men, see: barbarians), or spells that turn people into frogs or bring them back from the dead 2 days later.
Given that non-magical armour is needed to protect a PC and that armour is described as covering the entire body (for plate as example) to better protect, it doesn't take but a nano second to figure out.

House Rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Arduin wrote:
mbeacom wrote:female gamers. But c'mon. If you have a problem because chainmail bikinis are not realistic enough, you're not playing this fantasy RPG properly. I often try to decide, which is more realistic, scantily clad female warriors (and men, see: barbarians), or spells that turn people into frogs or bring them back from the dead 2 days later.
Given that non-magical armour is needed to protect a PC and that armour is described as covering the entire body (for plate as example) to better protect, it doesn't take but a nano second to figure out.
I'm confused. Do you have a problem with the art or the stats?
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mbeacom wrote:
I answered your query about armor that doesn't protect being unrealistic. Pretty simple.

House Rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Arduin wrote:
mbeacom wrote:
I answered your query about armor that doesn't protect being unrealistic. Pretty simple.
But it's not simple. And you didn't answer anything really. I granted it was unrealistic already, as part of the questions. Are you saying you think transforming someone into a frog is MORE realistic? Maybe you didn't read the whole sentence? Why is "non-magical" armor a given? How do you know what the persons stats are? Maybe the female warrior and barbarians pictured have poor AC to match the skimpy armor.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I may be in the minority (I hope not.) but I'd find the "Light Underground" table to be useful. It is one of those rules that I think I'd use a lot if it was right there, on the screen. If it wasn't on the screen I'd probably end up not using it as I try not to flip through books, searching for rules, while GM/CK/DMing. I just like the light rules as they are and how easy it is to put in some dramatic descriptions, of events, using the rule.

To a certain extent, "Equipment Wastage" falls under this same category.

I'm a proponent of the smaller screens and feel that, Provisions, Lodging and meals should be taken off and the space used for something more useful.

I had a fantasy comic strip that kind of addressed the cheesecake issue.

Two of the male members where going through a discovered treasure chest that was filled with silver coins. After a bit they unearthed a +5 suit of cheesecake armour. After cajoling the female member into wearing it (She had full plate armour on.) she relented. When she came back she had put the cheesecake armour overtop her regular plate armour. With dejected looks, on the male parties faces, the dwarf asks, "Is it legal to stack armour?"
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I finally dropped the money for The World's Greatest Screen in landscape and portrait, and now I put art that reflects the feel of my campaign on it. No cheesecake, just dark reflections of the grim despair our adventurers are sure to face. I have no problem with pictures of elf-girls feeling each other up, but I guess if that was my thing I'd just go print out stuff from Oglaf. Lately I wish we had more stuff like what's in Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea, or stuff like Bernie Wrightson. Really, I like screens that have some useful player information on the player-facing side.

For that matter, players should have screens too! Like the old Master Player's Screen or the Combat Shield.

I am not in the kickstarter so can't comment there, but what I liked about the old portrait screen was the class abilities, those were useful to have at a glance, especially for NPCs. Also, the thrown liquids info is found nowhere else. Racial abilities would be nice in the screen too. Every useful formula and table from the PHB should be on the screen, from SIEGE checks to grappling to spell resistance to ability modifiers. All weapons and armor. I don't need the full equipment list there, but I do like having provisions and lodging. I like tall screens that protect me from thrown dice, pencils, etc. I don't have many surfaces large enough to let me reference the side panels, on a 4 panel screen I can usually only see the middle two without craning my head around, so put combat info in the center.

Don't fill the screen up with filigree and pictures and doodads, just raw information, printed legibly.

I liked on the old AD&D screen how they had spell lists on them. With page numbers would be even better, though you'd have to pick a printing. If you just made your screen like the old AD&D screen (except the psionics part) I have a feeling few would complain.

An awesome index of PHB, M&T, and CKG would be a nice filler to ship with the module screen instead of an adventure.

An initiative helper with all of the manuevers listed would be useful on either the player or CK side. The spellcasting rules are something I reference a lot; if those were summarized it might be helpful.

If you made a screen that had all of the info I needed to play and the panes were larger than letter size, I'd still buy it, even at a premium. This would also help with the aforementioned player-launched projectiles.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Aergraith wrote:An awesome index of PHB, M&T, and CKG would be a nice filler to ship with the module instead of an adventure.
This! So, much this!
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

As far as what in on the DM side of the screen, I don't care too much.

I want them to be portrait style though. The number one item that goes on all my screens is a paper clipped copy of the adventure map. Landscape styled screens are worthless for me. Not only that, landscape screens hide nothing when people stand up at the table to stretch or to get a glass of water, etc.

Cheese-cake? I had to read everything twice before I understood what was being talked about. Am I correct that "cheese cake" the slang for "hot babes" now-a-days? My wife, JediWife, games with us and often compares her female archer to the lady on the player's side of the current C&C screen. We are a pretty conservative family and would not want naked folks, sexual overtones, or any such things, but this is fantasy. Just as many gamer guys wish they had the build of Conan, I suspect many lady gamers (secretly or otherwise) wish they had the build of these "cheese cake" ladies.

That's my take on it, assuming I understand the term "cheese cake" correctly. :)
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

dachda wrote:
Relaxo wrote:an extra-big serving of Peter's cheesecake! ;)
Funny, I was thinking the opposite. I've gotten negative reactions from women players about Peter's half naked fighters on the screens and I agree with them. I'm kinda tired of men in full armor fighting next to women in chainmail bikinis. For one, no one in their right mind would fight with a sword, with half their body exposed (certain barbarian tribes as an exception), and for two it tends to perpetuate the notion that RPGers are sexist. And as a grown-up in my late 40's I'm embarrassed by cheesecake pictures in my gaming. I'm not a teenager any more!

Okay, discuss . . . I'm sure my comments will create some reactions . . .
They could have Peter do his interpretation fo the Shield Maiden from the Viking TV series, which is awesome, by the way, every gamer should be avidly watching that show.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

Sir Ironside wrote:I may be in the minority (I hope not.) but I'd find the "Light Underground" table to be useful. It is one of those rules that I think I'd use a lot if it was right there, on the screen. If it wasn't on the screen I'd probably end up not using it as I try not to flip through books, searching for rules, while GM/CK/DMing. I just like the light rules as they are and how easy it is to put in some dramatic descriptions, of events, using the rule.
I agree. Having easily accessible light rules would be a definite plus. It's often way too easy to forget just how small a space a torch actually covers... :)

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

mbeacom wrote:That being said, I'll agree, no cheesecake on the screens themselves. The books can be closed and put away. But the screens are up non-stop. And while I love cheesecake, I don't think it needs to be "in your face" the whole time.
This.

I have no issue with the whole chainmail bikini thing, but recognize that some folks just don't have a sense of humor about stuff like that. (Thank God my wife does.)

I'd buy a calendar though. *hint hint* :D

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxxIbZk ... edit?pli=1

Aergraith found the above link, it has some great ideas that might lend themselves well to the screen...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

dachda wrote: Funny, I was thinking the opposite. I've gotten negative reactions from women players about Peter's half naked fighters on the screens and I agree with them. . . .
Truth be told, you're actually right. I did put the smiley face to be tongue in cheek. In a hobby that's losing enthusiasts it's best to be inclusive.

And I apologize for derailing the thread!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

Any word on if the screens will be portrait or landscape yet?
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I think there may be a poll regarding portrait or landscape. I don't recall. IF there is to only be one screen on the market, the info should primarily draw from the phb. However, if they'd like to do two screens, that's fine. I'd probably place the additional combat maneuvers (from the ckg) on the primary screen, MAYBE a few other ckg bits (equipment wastage, swimming, and lodging /food prices). I like portrait and landscape, so I'm torn on that front. As for aesthetics, pleeeeease bring back the original P. Bradley screen art. Troll Lord recycles quite a bit of art, but they never seem to use that particular image.