Beyond the River - C&C Pilot from d20 Entertainment

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Beyond the River - C&C Pilot from d20 Entertainment

Post by TheMetal1 »

I wasn't a backer on this, but followed it periodically. When the short film/commerical came out "To the End" it got me thinking about the "Beyond the River" pilot that was kickstarted by d20 Entertainment.

Not much good news it seems, coming out of all the d20 Entertainment Kickstarters, especially the Knights of the Dinner Table: Live Action Series.

I was really surprised though to see that Steve posted over at the Beyond the River Kickstarter Comments site as the Creator. Here is the site link to the comments section.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d2 ... t/comments
Creator d20 Entertainment 1 day ago
Michael, did you get the update that TLG sent out via d20 Entertainment. It should have been last week? ~Steve Chenault, Troll Lord Games
In the light of the whole KODT: LAS can anyone at TLG verify that this was an actual quote from Steve?

mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: Beyond the River - C&C Pilot from d20 Entertainment

Post by mmbutter »

There was a "backers only" update sent on 7/27.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

At this point, I am glad to say this is one TLG related KS I did not back.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well my concern, isn't driven from being a backer - as I passed on this C&C thing. It's more about affecting the C&C Brand and Troll Lord Games overall. Sure "only" 125 backers pledged $6,001. But the Trolls are associated with d20 Entertainment, which right now, is coming across as a company that does not live up to expectation (at the very least), based on their Kickstarters.

If someone that was a backer could post the latest backer update here that would helpful.

With my post below, what I was getting at, was I didn't think that Steve actually posted that message, and instead it was someone from d20 Entertainment using his name. That is the confirmation I'm seeking - did Steve post that message in the backer comments section.

Further when I read the Troll Tusk today, all of the Kickstarters the Trolls have done were listed, but no mention of this one was anywhere to be found.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

They weren't trying to give a comprehensive KS list, they were just giving updates at where they are on getting the ones they owe us published and shipped to us. Since they have Zero direct control over D20 Entertainment, I wouldn't expect them to say anything about them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:Since they have Zero direct control over D20 Entertainment, I wouldn't expect them to say anything about them.
I disagree, they used a previous Troll Tusk (#53) to announce the upcoming collaboration with d20 Entertainment. In fact the title in the E-mail and the title of that Troll Tusk was The Troll's Tusk #53 C&C To the Small Screen? So why wouldn't they discuss it now. Especially in light of the circumstances. In that issue the article was titled: Castles & Crusades? On Television?? I've included the full article below:
Well, not just yet, but it could happen. d20 Entertainment, in collaboration with Troll Lord Games, is working on making a TV SHOW based on the World of Aihrde and C&C. You can join us now and help make this happen by following this link: Blacktooth Ridge (T.V. Pilot).

Back at Gencon, Ken Whitman from d20 Entertainment (Brothers Barbarian webseries and Live Action KoDT) pitched Steve Chenault on an idea for a TV pilot based on both Castles and Crusades and the world setting of Aihrde. "I have this idea about a knight . . . ."

They began collaborating after that. Ken worked up the concept behind this wayward knight, retired after years of service to lords of the realm. Steve took the idea and set the knight, now named Jeurgan, in Aihrde (which has recently undergone a major rewrite) and in the realms of the Empress and New Aenoch. The retired knight motif fit perfectly with the famed Blacktooth Ridge (based on our long standing #1 selling adventure module, Assault on Blacktooth Ridge.), where men go to live beyond the confines of civilization.

"He retired, with great renown, if little wealth, to a small plot of land near Ludensheim beneath the shadow of the Blacktooth Ridge. There, for years he has enjoyed the comfort of a simple life, but Juergan's fame carried to the many storied halls of lords and ladies and the powers of one such as he are not easily forgotten. They come to him, more often than not . . . ."

With the character and plot in place it seemed only natural to launch the project. Ken found himself the perfect actor to play Juergan, Rene LaVertu, and begin working on the launch pad for the whole thing. A brief script written by Ken Whitman and touched up by Steve Chenault led to the 2 minutes of 'what you can expect film" presented now over at Kickstarter!

This is a fantastic opportunity for the game we all love so much. So if you want to see Castles & Crusades on the small screen, head over and join the fun.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Collaboration does not mean control. The Trolls aren't going to post about things they have no control over. Plus, were the Trolls listed as "creators" of that KS, or was it only D20 Entertainment? If they were also listed as creators, then the Trolls are likely worried about being sued over D20's failures to deliver. So another reason to not publicly say anything about them.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Tree, good point, I hadn't thought of that.

But in the comment section it says "d20 Entertainment Creator" and Steve Chenault, Troll Lord Games is signing it.

I agree that collaboration doesn't equal control, and that is why it came across as odd that there was post from Steve using official d20 Kickstarter Creator Comment response.

If you do a search of the comments section there is other messaging from Stephen - 2 to be specific. One from 31 October 2014
Pat, Hey Ken got the title of the Players Handbook wrong. I think I was calling it the basic book in the conversation with him. haha But it is the C&C Players Handbook, full color, with the addition of Juergan's adventure upon the Blacktooth Ridge.
and another from 20 October 2014
We need to fire this thing up. Its been sitting here too long! Time to get the Knights involved!
In both of those quotes, it's as a "Backer" with Stephens own kickstarter symbol. In the quote I referenced at the start of this thread, it's signed Steve (not Stephen) and is using the official d20 Entertainment Creator Kickstarter comment feature.

That is implies that the author is the creator or is authorized by the creator to comment. Tim Burns does this a lot to update us in the various TLG Kickstarters, You'll see him comment using the Stephen Chenault Creator Kickstarter feature but signs as Tim, so everyone knows its him.

Either access has been given to Steve by Ken Whitman and d20 Entertainment - certainly very plausible - but that would further cement a controlling event rather that collaboration. Or, someone used Steve's name to make this connection without his knowledge.

Maybe I'm way off base, but in the Knights of the Dinner Table: Live Action Series Kickstarter Comments, if Jolly Blackburn had to comment using his own account not d20 Entertainments, why would d20 Entertainment give Steve that access?

Regardless, Obviously the Trolls have found a film company that can produce a quality engaging product that delivers - Ends Meet Productions who did the "To the End" short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b8kt1hMe7M

I'm glad they did that, as I have not heard whether any footage was ever produced or shown at GENCON for "Beyond the River" but as Steve mentioned in another thread that "To the End" was debuted at GENCON, I wonder if this was done in lieu of d20 Entertainment footage/stuff.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

A couple of other notes...

There were two threads back during funding that were started that I could find. One by me to let everyone know it was going on. Then, oddly, by Ken Whitman of d20 Entertainment, using the exact same thread name (albeit 3 weeks later). Here they are:

http://trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... add3edef9b

http://trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... add3edef9b

Steve is listed as the Executive Producer for this Kickstarter on the Campaign page and in Ken Whitman's version of the thread. It is also said that Stephen is going to be the author of the film's screenplay. I don't know the legalese if that makes him have a controlling interest.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Good news over at the Kickstarter Site. It seems TLG has done an official update. Original Screenplay is available to backers a reward. It seems that TLG will be doing some additional work on this, per Ken Whitman's request. I'd put this clearly in the category of "Not Dead Yet"

Here is the link to the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d2 ... ts/1307238

and here is the update in it's entirety:
Update #23 (Aug 7 2015)

A reward and update from Troll Lord Games

Greetings everyone!

We wanted to give you all a quick update and to give you another stretch reward. This time it is the original unabbreviated script (which had to be pared down), written by Stephen "Troll Lord" Chenault. You can download it here: edited/removed

As we mentioned last time, Ken has asked us to take over some of the work on this and of course we are happy to do so. So many of our fans joined this Kickstarter because of the association with C&C. Even though this is a d20 Entertainment project, we are all currently going through options to see the best way to proceed.

With that in mind, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at productsupport@trolllord.com if you have any concerns for questions.

In the meantime, you can head over to http://www.trolllord.com and see all the excitement in the Troll Dens.

Thanks for your time and we hope you enjoy the script!

The Trolls

Troll Lord Games

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Dude, that's a "backer only" update. You just gave away a link that was supposed to only go to the backers.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I'm not a backer and that was posted by the trolls and signed by the trolls themselves as update 23 in the update section. It was not for backers only. I removed the link, but I can't remove the update which has link open to the public.

That being said, it goes back to my very first question about whether Steve did the comment or someone else is using the trolls name.

Did the Trolls really release this update or did someone else without TLG consent.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So, Update 23 is still out there with the script available for anyone on the World Wide Web to download at their leisure.

Is this something the Trolls wanted to do? or was the script for backers only? The way I read it, the script was part of the following pledge level and any others above it:
$10 reward

2 backers

PRODUCTION DIARY PLUS: Digital copy of the script + thank you video from director with exclusive behind the scenes material. (Includes all previous rewards)

Estimated delivery: Aug 2015
Looks like about 17 people out of the 125 didn't pledge high enough to get the script.

--------------------------------

I say this with all sincerity, Generosity and Customer Service are truly what I see all the time out of TLG. You guys made me a fan with a great game, and your support and generosity made you a A+ company in my book.

I'm kind of done highlighting what is probably a non-issue for everyone who backed, along with the Trolls and d20 Entertainment. I figure the Trolls have stepped up and stepped in to complete the pilot and make this awesome for whoever backed it.

Wish everyone the best with this project!