Challenge Base 12/18 vs 10/15 vs ??

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mbeacom
Ulthal

Re: Challenge Base 12/18 vs 10/15 vs ??

Post by mbeacom »

jdizzy001 wrote:It's psychological. The break down of dnd DC's is pick a DC, roll a d20 add mods then compare to DC.
cnc (though the end result is the same) the process is different. Select a CL apply the players CB (prime or non-prime) then roll d20. The process makes a psychological difference, that's all.
You're right, but the difference isn't nearly as trivial as it sounds. This is something I always find interesting. So many RPGs essentially do the same thing. You roll a die or dice, in hopes of getting a result that leads to success, beating a target, coming in under a target, even or odd, matching a number, etc. But it's all effectively doing the same thing, but in different ways. Each way amounts to a different "feel". D&D has a "feel". C&C has a "feel". The feel of the game matters. In cases like this the differences can seem insignificant but it's still part of what makes a game feel right or wrong, good or bad.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mbeacom wrote: You may not understand what a numeric value is. :)
That's about as likely as the sun not being hot. ;) But, as I said, there is no inflation as far as there being a difference in value. Ergo, you couldn't show a difference.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

mbeacom wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:It's psychological. The break down of dnd DC's is pick a DC, roll a d20 add mods then compare to DC.
cnc (though the end result is the same) the process is different. Select a CL apply the players CB (prime or non-prime) then roll d20. The process makes a psychological difference, that's all.
You're right, but the difference isn't nearly as trivial as it sounds. This is something I always find interesting. So many RPGs essentially do the same thing. You roll a die or dice, in hopes of getting a result that leads to success, beating a target, coming in under a target, even or odd, matching a number, etc. But it's all effectively doing the same thing, but in different ways. Each way amounts to a different "feel". D&D has a "feel". C&C has a "feel". The feel of the game matters. In cases like this the differences can seem insignificant but it's still part of what makes a game feel right or wrong, good or bad.
Exactly, the feel of it. WOTC had a two day article about the feel of dnd it was a good article. That was one of the biggest complaint about star wars when they switch to d20 from d6. It didn't feel like star wars anymore.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Arduin wrote:
mbeacom wrote: You may not understand what a numeric value is. :)
That's about as likely as the sun not being hot. ;) But, as I said, there is no inflation as far as there being a difference in value. Ergo, you couldn't show a difference.
Seems you also have a misunderstanding of how likely something is. ;)

If you use the 12/18 method, you get very different "numeric values" for prime tasks than you do by using the +6 method. The inflation comes from adding the 6 on both sides of the screen. I never said the success chances changed.

Example.
12/18 Method: Someone attempts something using a prime ability. With a challenge base of 12 and a challenge level of 3, you get a challenge class of 15. 15 is the numeric value that must be rolled against.

In the +6 method, (unless I misunderstand how you do it), the challenge base is 18 (+6 is added to the normal base of 12). So with a challenge level of 3, you get a challenge class of 21. The numeric value rolled against changes from 15 to 21. Note the difference in numeric values. 15 and 21 are different numeric values. The fact the player ALSO adds a +6 to his/her roll means the chance for success does not change, but the numeric value have absolutely been changed and inflated unnecessarily.

So, yes. Number inflation does occur unnecessarily and yes, it does result in different numeric values.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Like I have said, I like the effect of the number 6. Plus it is also statistically proven to be "significant" on a D20, and it certainly has felt significant, which I suspect is the real reason its so often debated on these forums. Personally, I love the "effect", I like that the PC's will always have several proverbial "Achilles Heel", even at high levels.

If people typical only run their games to a max of about 9th level, I would probably change it myself if I did the same, but in order to keep 10th level and above games still challenging, I am sticking with the 12/18 split.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

mbeacom wrote:D&D has a "feel". C&C has a "feel". The feel of the game matters. In cases like this the differences can seem insignificant but it's still part of what makes a game feel right or wrong, good or bad.
Huh. I never have considered this as part of the "feel" of C&C. For me, what makes C&C unique is the use of all of the attributes for saves and ability checks, and the the use of the primes (however they are applied numerically) to allow different types of characters. I have always had the players add the prime bonus to their d20 roll and tell me the total, and I have never thought that it felt "wrong". Perhaps at your gaming table I would see it differently...

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

dunbruha wrote:
mbeacom wrote:D&D has a "feel". C&C has a "feel". The feel of the game matters. In cases like this the differences can seem insignificant but it's still part of what makes a game feel right or wrong, good or bad.
Huh. I never have considered this as part of the "feel" of C&C. For me, what makes C&C unique is the use of all of the attributes for saves and ability checks, and the the use of the primes (however they are applied numerically) to allow different types of characters. I have always had the players add the prime bonus to their d20 roll and tell me the total, and I have never thought that it felt "wrong". Perhaps at your gaming table I would see it differently...
That's the thing about "feel" it's very subjective. Some people think the percentile system that was in D&D is a feel they have to have or they're not playing a real RPG. Or that the 12/18 split is a huge part of how C&C feels. Others who play could use 10/15 or 12/15/18 and never think the game feels different. "Feel" is very squishy and maybe just good for hippies. :)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Treebore wrote:Like I have said, I like the effect of the number 6. Plus it is also statistically proven to be "significant" on a D20...
There is nothing statistically "significant" about the results of a d20 roll. This was often stated early on in the game's history, and maybe that is where you are remembering it from, but there is no truth to it.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote: Plus it is also statistically proven to be "significant" on a D20,
No it hasn't. Show said "proof".

House Rules

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

mbeacom wrote:
dunbruha wrote:
That's the thing about "feel" it's very subjective. Some people think the percentile system that was in D&D is a feel they have to have or they're not playing a real RPG. Or that the 12/18 split is a huge part of how C&C feels. Others who play could use 10/15 or 12/15/18 and never think the game feels different. "Feel" is very squishy and maybe just good for hippies. :)
I'm not a hippie. I'm 100% on the other end of the spectrum (just saying =D). But yes, feel is very subjective. For example, some folks took to D20 star wars like it was nothing. Star Wars is star wars. To me, however, when you take the 12/18 (CB) split out, CnC becomes DnD 2.5E. If that is how you want to play, that is your choice. CnC is built to be flexible and dare I say, modular. In fact, I believe the 18 +/-6 is one of the rule alternatives listed in the CKG.

FXR1979
Skobbit

Post by FXR1979 »

I use the 15/+5 rule set in Amazing Adventures. It's simple and efficient. I don't care if it's D&D-ish, especially since C&C is a d20 fantasy game whose mechanics are all inspired by D&D.

I found it very confusing to have to systematically call two different target numbers each time I announce a roll which has to be made by more than one PC.

Also, I found that having a CB18 makes it more or less impossible for a character to succeed a given test.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

jdizzy001 wrote:I believe the 18 +/-6 is one of the rule alternatives listed in the CKG.
It's not a rule alternative in the CKG. It is an alternate math explanation. A rule alternative is when you use a different game mechanic rule.

House Rules

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Arduin wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:I believe the 18 +/-6 is one of the rule alternatives listed in the CKG.
It's not a rule alternative in the CKG. It is an alternate math explanation. A rule alternative is when you use a different game mechanic rule.
Actually, they do refer to it as a different rule in the CKG where it's mentioned. Technically, it is an alternate rule, because you're changing the challenge base from RAW to something you prefer. Maybe call it a gameplay alternative if you don't like the trolls language. It's really more of a house rule than anything, just a different way of doing something within the game. It's the same as ascending vs. descending armor class (creating the same hit probabilities). They both do the same thing but by using different......numeric values. ;)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Call it what you will, it's dndish. 4e resolves their actions the same way. Select a DC, roll d20, add ability mod, add 1/2 your level (cnc adds whole level), then add 5 if the skill is "trained" (cnc would call it prime). Again, there is nothing wrong with it. Just different strokes for different folks is all.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

jdizzy001 wrote:Call it what you will, it's dndish. 4e resolves their actions the same way. Select a DC, roll d20, add ability mod, add 1/2 your level (cnc adds whole level), then add 5 if the skill is "trained" (cnc would call it prime). Again, there is nothing wrong with it. Just different strokes for different folks is all.
This is correct. When speaking of resolution techniques, there is a definite difference and to some, a difference in feel. You can't really dispute that even if it doesn't matter to you personally. As i said above, this is similar to ascending and descending armor class values. The end results is the same, but how you get there is different.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

FXR1979 wrote:I use the 15/+5 rule set in Amazing Adventures. It's simple and efficient. I don't care if it's D&D-ish, especially since C&C is a d20 fantasy game whose mechanics are all inspired by D&D.

I found it very confusing to have to systematically call two different target numbers each time I announce a roll which has to be made by more than one PC.

Also, I found that having a CB18 makes it more or less impossible for a character to succeed a given test.
Why would you call 2 TNs? I call one Challenge Level and let the players figure it out if they succeeded or not. The players have to do all the work.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Rigon wrote:
FXR1979 wrote:I use the 15/+5 rule set in Amazing Adventures. It's simple and efficient. I don't care if it's D&D-ish, especially since C&C is a d20 fantasy game whose mechanics are all inspired by D&D.

Why would you call 2 TNs? I call one Challenge Level and let the players figure it out if they succeeded or not. The players have to do all the work.

R-
I've used a similar method and it worked well in those situations where 2 players are trying something and one is prime and one is not. I also have pretty strict rules about letting multiple people try the same thing. In many cases, we deem the results of the first attempt final. In other cases, it gets harder as more people attempt it.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

jdizzy001 wrote:Call it what you will, it's dndish.
It's also C&Cish, Travellerish, et al. :roll:

House Rules

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Rigon wrote:Why would you call 2 TNs? I call one Challenge Level and let the players figure it out if they succeeded or not. The players have to do all the work.
Sometimes I like to keep the CL a secret from the players (just like I like to keep AC a mystery for as long as I can). If the players are adding the prime bonus to their roll, and announce their total, I can tell them whether they succeed or fail without having to reveal the CL.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

dunbruha wrote:
Rigon wrote:Why would you call 2 TNs? I call one Challenge Level and let the players figure it out if they succeeded or not. The players have to do all the work.
Sometimes I like to keep the CL a secret from the players (just like I like to keep AC a mystery for as long as I can). If the players are adding the prime bonus to their roll, and announce their total, I can tell them whether they succeed or fail without having to reveal the CL.
You could also do that by just having them announce their rolls and whether or not it is prime. But anyway you do it is right. It's just a matter of taste.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Arduin wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:Call it what you will, it's dndish.
It's also C&Cish, Travellerish, et al. :roll:
True, but when I play cnc I like it to feel different than dnd or traveller. Likewise, when I play dnd I don't want it to feel like cnc. That is why d20 star wars lost a lot of d6 fans when they made the switch. All the die hard d6ers felt like they were playing space dnd and that did not appeal to them. For some people the feel isn't important, but for me, it really sets the mood. If I bust open a game of Mouseguard I do not want to see d20's and +6 modifiers to my rolls because it is prime. Likewise, when I bust open cnc I prefer to see the 12/18 split and I don't want to see handfuls of d6's. However, if someone could find a way to merge Mousegaurd's conflict resolution into cnc that I might like to see. However, then I wouldn't be playing cnc. I'd be playing Burning Wheel.

Alright, so, in order not to derail the topic here, the 12/18 split discussion is in the CKG. Some people like 12/18, some people like 18 +6, some enjoy 12/15/18, and others still enjoy 15 +5. It all depends on ck preference. Using a different spread like a 10/15 will alter your PC's power level. If that is what you want, by all means go for it. Changing the split to 15/21 will also change the PC's power level. If you want to do it, go for it. It's cnc, the master game of house rules.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

jdizzy001 wrote:Alright, so, in order not to derail the topic here, the 12/18 split discussion is in the CKG. Some people like 12/18, some people like 18 +6, some enjoy 12/15/18, and others still enjoy 15 +5. It all depends on ck preference. Using a different spread like a 10/15 will alter your PC's power level. If that is what you want, by all means go for it. Changing the split to 15/21 will also change the PC's power level. If you want to do it, go for it. It's cnc, the master game of house rules.
*golf claps* Thanks jdizzy001.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

jdizzy001 wrote:Alright, so, in order not to derail the topic here, the 12/18 split discussion is in the CKG. Some people like 12/18, some people like 18 +6, some enjoy 12/15/18, and others still enjoy 15 +5. It all depends on ck preference. Using a different spread like a 10/15 will alter your PC's power level. If that is what you want, by all means go for it. Changing the split to 15/21 will also change the PC's power level. If you want to do it, go for it. It's cnc, the master game of house rules.
True. But I still haven't really heard why 12/18 is more "fantasy" and 10/15 is more "pulp". There are plenty of examples from both genres of ordinary folks doing heroic things, as well as extraordinary folks doing extraordinary things... Why is it easier [gamewise, using 10/15] to do "pulpy" things?

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

dunbruha wrote:
True. But I still haven't really heard why 12/18 is more "fantasy" and 10/15 is more "pulp". There are plenty of examples from both genres of ordinary folks doing heroic things, as well as extraordinary folks doing extraordinary things... Why is it easier [gamewise, using 10/15] to do "pulpy" things?
I would imagine that it isn't so much that 12/18 is more fantasy and 10/15 is more pulpy I think part of it is how the two games use the different systems.
Take the Arcanist from amazing adventures, if you pick a int bas Arcanist and (s)he wants to cast lightning bolt (s)he has to make a successful int check with a cl of 3, so if they picked int as a prime and have say a +2 for a modifiyer and are level five then they have to roll higher than a 6 to cast the spell succesfully, if they fail the roll they take 1d4 subdual damage and have wasted the MEP and the round

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I just make it up as I go along.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dracyian wrote:
dunbruha wrote:
I would imagine that it isn't so much that 12/18 is more fantasy and 10/15 is more pulpy I think part of it is how the two games use the different systems.
Take the Arcanist from amazing adventures, if you pick a int bas Arcanist and (s)he wants to cast lightning bolt (s)he has to make a successful int check with a cl of 3, so if they picked int as a prime and have say a +2 for a modifiyer and are level five then they have to roll higher than a 6 to cast the spell succesfully, if they fail the roll they take 1d4 subdual damage and have wasted the MEP and the round
and I am very pleased at how similar that is in AA to how I have had it in my House Rules for C&C since the beginning. I just don't do the damage, they just lose the spell, unless they roll a 1 on their check.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Dracyian wrote:I would imagine that it isn't so much that 12/18 is more fantasy and 10/15 is more pulpy I think part of it is how the two games use the different systems.
Ah, that makes sense. In order for the spell check system to work, the CB had to be lowered, with a collateral effect of making SIEGE checks easier overall.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

dunbruha wrote:
Dracyian wrote:I would imagine that it isn't so much that 12/18 is more fantasy and 10/15 is more pulpy I think part of it is how the two games use the different systems.
Ah, that makes sense. In order for the spell check system to work, the CB had to be lowered, with a collateral effect of making SIEGE checks easier overall.
The real danger was the socialite, I think by campaigns end when she added in her buff it was an additional plus 3 to all attribute checks. But that was balanced out by damage guns are insane and there is no such thing as magic cure all potions and scrolls

Maliloki
Henchman

Post by Maliloki »

So, I haven't had a chance to play C&C yet, got the books from the most recent sale (which was a really good sale, got lots of stuff). But I read through the books and was thinking that I might try doing this:

CB of 15
Modifiers of 0-10+ like normal
You roll 2d20 and take the highest for primary attributes
You add your level for things relating to your class or background or anything else that you should be good at. (and saving throws)
You add 1/2 your level to most other things
You don't add anything except your attribute bonus to checks when you're attempting a different classes skill/ability.

Determining the final difficulty is done like normal with things being more difficult for some characters based on their class and background and easier for others if it should be easier for them to do.

Any thoughts? Be gentle, I'm new

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Maliloki wrote:So, I haven't had a chance to play C&C yet, got the books from the most recent sale (which was a really good sale, got lots of stuff). But I read through the books and was thinking that I might try doing this:

CB of 15
Modifiers of 0-10+ like normal
You roll 2d20 and take the highest for primary attributes
You add your level for things relating to your class or background or anything else that you should be good at. (and saving throws)
You add 1/2 your level to most other things
You don't add anything except your attribute bonus to checks when you're attempting a different classes skill/ability.

Determining the final difficulty is done like normal with things being more difficult for some characters based on their class and background and easier for others if it should be easier for them to do.

Any thoughts? Be gentle, I'm new
I read somewhere that the 2d20 take the highest is akin to a +3 bonus, so that should work rather elegantly.