Book of Familiars Pre-Order is here!

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
timburns
Ulthal

Book of Familiars Pre-Order is here!

Post by timburns »

We have at last unrolled the carpet on The Book of Familiars opening it up for pre-order. The Book of Familiars opens up whole new vistas for your table . . . from the rogue's own shadow as a familiar to the barbarian's animal totem . . . growing the game without slowing it down.

A pre-order earns you a place in the credits as well as reaping a nice discount.

Snare your Familiar here: http://bit.ly/HA8Vmx You can check out the book's outline there as well.

We're offering a number of pre-order packages. You can secure yourself a copy of the book in digital format, or print and digital as well as all out and get the tee shirt and more. New to the fray? Pick up the entire line and plunge in!

Look for constant updates from Peter Bradley as he hammers out the cover. Its shaping up to a nice griffon/ranger - dragon battle.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Book of Familiars Pre-Order is here!

Post by Treebore »

I really need Casey to come on here and sell me on why I need this when I already have the D20 version.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Ordered. Unlike Tree, I never got the d20 version. :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:I really need Casey to come on here and sell me on why I need this when I already have the D20 version.
On a sort-of related note...

...Why is almost everything a "pre-order" and a "kickstarter" these days? Why can't product just be released?

EDIT: I'm sorry if I sound like an ass and that sounds harsh...I really don't mean to. I guess I'm getting kind of jaded on the whole kickstarter/pre-order/crowdfunding madness that's going around like crazy these days. I miss a the times when I'd just hear about a product, wait for its release, and then see it in the store.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Treebore wrote:I really need Casey to come on here and sell me on why I need this when I already have the D20 version.
On a sort-of related note...

...Why is almost everything a "pre-order" and a "kickstarter" these days? Why can't product just be released?

EDIT: I'm sorry if I sound like an ass and that sounds harsh...I really don't mean to. I guess I'm getting kind of jaded on the whole kickstarter/pre-order/crowdfunding madness that's going around like crazy these days. I miss a the times when I'd just hear about a product, wait for its release, and then see it in the store.
I can only guess its because of how much they lesson the financial risks.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore is close to right. The problem is the changing nature of the market. When we started this gig back in 1999 or 2000 things were a bit different. I don't have the papers in front of me but about 75+% of revenue was through the distribution channel. The rest was conventions, phone orders (soon to be online orders), for us Amazon and direct to retail. The distributors had a nice pre-order system set up whereby we solicited product, they sent it to retail shops, shops placed orders on the book and the distributors marked them down. This gave us a really good idea of where a product would land and whether to move forward on it, how much to print, to do more, etc etc

When we released the Codex of Erde, day one, based on distributor pre-orders (non returnable so cash guaranteed), we had made our money back three times overs. Gary Gygax's Canting Crew too, World Builder, Book of Familiars, all of them.

The d20 collapse wiped out, almost overnight, the pre-order system. RPGs were untouchable. Suddenly we had no way to gauging a product except through a play test system that never worked. With that came another collapse of a mountain of small press magazines and zines. So in one swoop (2004-2005) we lost our pre-order system and avenues to get word out. Everything became high risk. Not just for us, but everyone. When the CC PH 1st printing came out, we had on hand maybe 100 orders from distributors. (It was different in the direct market, we sold 300 White Box Spartan sets very quickly).

Think about that for a minute. We were already out thousands and thousands of dollars and we were going to sell that? It was . . . an entertaining time to say the least. Money from d20 was gone, C&C was consuming all we had, and the whole company was being held up by . . . you guessed it, Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds.

Everything has changed. The direct to consumer/book store market for TLG has completely reversed from the past and continues to grow. Amazon grows as well. Digital etc etc

Social interaction (Facebook, twitter, etc) and mailing lists have changed our ability to get the word out and get feed back as the same time. We can really communicate.

But the preorder system has only now been replaced by the KS and for TLG the in-house pre-orders format. It allows us to get a good idea of interest in a product so we can better judge on how and what to print (how many for certain). The financing is part of that. Like before, when distributors pre-ordered, we can tell what we are going to do on a product.

What's in it for you? Discounts. We are working hard to make the numbers work for both TLG and you guys. Looking at the Book of Familiars, if you want the book and pdf only, you can get that for 25 bucks (+shipping), but em in 3 months when the book is out and it will run close to 48 or thereabouts. So, hopefully, its a tip of the hat and thank you kindly from us to you.

ALSO: Its allowed us to do a major reverse on pricing…or is allowing us to…we can now seriously consider dropping the price again, back to where RPGs have been for us in the past. We've been suffering a serious price creep (to me and Davis) and its nagging at us. I really want the PH 6 to be $19.99, full color, though that is going to be tough. (those who have been around for awhile know I have never been happy with the 29.99 price tag).

So basically the pre-orders/KS is a home grown from the table pre-order system. You've taken the distributors place. And for that I thank you.

Hope that helps.
Steve

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Yeah, I guess you're right, Tree. A good product is a good product, though, and should therefore not be subject to any risk. The Trolls put out good stuff, so I don't particularly see the need for the whole pre-sell mentality. But what do I know? :)

EDIT: Thanks, Steve, for your reply. I really hope my post didn't make you feel you had to take a defensive stance on the matter. I truly appreciate the response. Some of it I understand, some of it I don't. For example, I can't understand how a book can cost me $25 (with a bunch of extras, no doubt) now but will set me back $50 when it's released. I do understand that the book, when printed, is probably cheaper the more you print. But I can't wrap my head around that big of a discrepancy in price. I almost feel like I have to get in on it now, or I get "punished" with a higher price later. But that's neither here nor there. I still believe that the quality of the books' contents should sell it, and if it's quality stuff (like you almost always put forth) selling it shouldn't be an issue. With a store front, direct to consumers should keep the price low, I'd think. I worked for a Hobby distributor for a few years, and I have fond memories of looking at the invoices of what we bought gaming books for from game companies and what we sold them for to retailers. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Lord Dynel wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right, Tree. A good product is a good product, though, and should therefore not be subject to any risk. The Trolls put out good stuff, so I don't particularly see the need for the whole pre-sell mentality. But what do I know? :)

EDIT: Thanks, Steve, for your reply. I really hope my post didn't make you feel you had to take a defensive stance on the matter. I truly appreciate the response. Some of it I understand, some of it I don't. For example, I can't understand how a book can cost me $25 (with a bunch of extras, no doubt) now but will set me back $50 when it's released. I do understand that the book, when printed, is probably cheaper the more you print. But I can't wrap my head around that big of a discrepancy in price. I almost feel like I have to get in on it now, or I get "punished" with a higher price later. But that's neither here nor there. I still believe that the quality of the books' contents should sell it, and if it's quality stuff (like you almost always put forth) selling it shouldn't be an issue. With a store front, direct to consumers should keep the price low, I'd think. I worked for a Hobby distributor for a few years, and I have fond memories of looking at the invoices of what we bought gaming books for from game companies and what we sold them for to retailers. :)
Wasn't offended by our post at all. I know it seems cliche but we are all at the same table! I really believe that. Its game night so i'll explain the pricing later!

Steve

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Stephen, I remember you guys wrestling with the decision to raise the phb from 20.00 to 25.00 back in the day. Seems like it was discussed on the forums, with some of us encouraging you to raise the price. RPG designers gotta eat too. ;)

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

If he would stop riding the elephant around then maybe he could afford some food for himself

Sir Izzy
Skobbit

Post by Sir Izzy »

Placed my pre-order.
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it." – Albert Einstein

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

Hey Crusaders, a newer working version, incarnation if you will, of the cover for Book of Familiars is up on the pre-order page. Check it out and let us know what you think! http://bit.ly/1fpoiub

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

The countdown begins! Book of Familiars pre-order will end on December 10th. So now is the time to save and be guaranteed shipment as soon as the book rolls off the presses! http://bit.ly/1fpoiub

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

Sounds interesting but you caught me with my RPG budget for the next month or two blown. Damn kickstarter and indiegogo bleeding me dry!