My game begins today!

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Ithai
Mist Elf

My game begins today!

Post by Ithai »

I'm pretty excited I'm bringing C&C to Bolivar, Mo today. The one thing I need to check on before I run today is monster to hit rolls. As I understand it they just roll a d20 and call it good. There is no BtH for them? I'm aware they will have situational modifiers but I couldn't find anything that would lend str or dex bonuses and no mention of BtH in all my readings.

Galannor
Mist Elf

Re: My game begins today!

Post by Galannor »

In Castles & Crusades Monsters add their Hit Dice value to their Saves and their To Hit Rolls: that is their Base To Hit Bonus. So a 4HD Monster adds +4 to its To Hit Rolls.
Hope that helps and good luck for your games!
Galannor

Ithai
Mist Elf

Post by Ithai »

That is most helpful. Glad you and others have came to my aid as I prepare to do this. This community and system rocks!

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

Good luck, please tell us how it goes!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Ithai wrote:That is most helpful. Glad you and others have came to my aid as I prepare to do this. This community and system rocks!
I definately concur with that. When I first started C&C, it had been a long, LONG time since I played what is essentiall D&D 2.5. 3.5 and especially 4e, I think had an overall negative effect on me (my personal experience, btw, play whatever system you enjoy), though I didn't realize it until I started running C&C.

The biggest difference for me what a return to the basics of empowers the GM. 3.5 and later really got into character customization, and while I like that on the surface, it does lead to a lot of "power-gamey" muchkin build type characters. It's like the RP and story became secondary to the tactics and mechanics. I believe this leads to a self of self entitlement and rules-lawyering among the players (especially in 4e, where everything was about "balance").

In C&C all those elements for character customization are optional (the GM, DM, CK, whatever you want to call him) is empowered to use 'em or not. Advantages, fate, secondary skills, ect, ect. Its "your" game as the CK. Anything and everything you do is a boon to the players. A bonus. An advantage. It's in your hands. No sense of self-entitlement because it's not in the cores rules. It's not "part" of the character generation process. YOUR empowered. Heck, just look at the layout of the CKG and M&T. All the advantages, secondary skills, fate, etc are in the CKG and the magic items are M&T. Both seperate from the player materials.

Anyhow, forgive my rant and have fun with your game. And post your questions and ideas here, lots of folks with tons of great ideas to share. This community does, indeed rock.

Ithai
Mist Elf

Post by Ithai »

Well we just got characters created yesterday. Some who wanted to play weren't there so next session will be when we start playing. Out of curiosity what should the average ac of a level 1 paladin be? I let him shop with his gold and he managed to get an armor class of 27. Should that be possible?

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Ithai wrote:Well we just got characters created yesterday. Some who wanted to play weren't there so next session will be when we start playing. Out of curiosity what should the average ac of a level 1 paladin be? I let him shop with his gold and he managed to get an armor class of 27. Should that be possible?
Uhm...no. :shock:

Starting gold for a pally is at the very max, 240. Assuming he spent 200 on Full Chain suit (+6) and 20 on a large steel shield (+1) that would be an AC of 17 (and he'd have enough to buy a weapon and very little in the way of supplies).

I don't believe there is any Dex penalty in C&C for wearing heavy armor (maybe someone else can correct me on that) so even if he had a Dex of 18 (+3) that's still a 21 AC.

You sure they didn't add the AC's armor bonus to 20? 10 is the base AC, no armor.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Ithai wrote:Well we just got characters created yesterday. Some who wanted to play weren't there so next session will be when we start playing. Out of curiosity what should the average ac of a level 1 paladin be? I let him shop with his gold and he managed to get an armor class of 27. Should that be possible?
No.

The absolute best AC he could possibly start out with is 22. And for that he would have to have an 18 Dexteity and just over 1,000 gold in starting money to afford Full Plate armor and a shield:

AC: Base (10) + Dex of 18 (3) + Full Plate armor (8) + Shield (1) = 22

A Paladin has 6d4 x 10 starting gold, so at the absolute most he should start with 240 GP - more likely he'd start with an average 150 GP, but let's do a best case scenario. He could, conceivably, buy splint mail armor or a full chain suit, each of which add +6 to AC. Add a cheap shield for another +1 and you're looking at a 17 AC total. Now he may also have a decent Dexterity, but if the Paladin had actually rolled an 18 on one of his attributes, it seems unlikely that he'd put that towards Dexterity - that should really go to Charisma. But, to each their own, so this is possible. So, at best, that would add another +3 for a a final total of AC 20. He wouldn't have a higher starting AC than that.

Always check over the PCs carefully and make the players justify anything that looks fishy.

EDIT: Lobo beat me to it while I was typing this slowly on an iPad. ;)

One more thing. If you're allowing advantages from the Castle Keeper's Guide, he might squeeze out another +1 to AC for, say, the Dodge or Armored Hero advantage. So a max of 21 AC.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Ithai
Mist Elf

Post by Ithai »

Ok That does make sense because I wasn't seeing how he would be getting hit in the knight rising module. We will rework accordingly. Thanks again.