Running a Halloween themed adventure soon.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
TacoChemic
Skobbit

Running a Halloween themed adventure soon.

Post by TacoChemic »

My group can only meet every other weekend so this upcoming weekend is my chance to do something a little more grotesque and 'scary' for the Halloween holiday. Strangely enough, my local gaming shop has had the Tainted Lands box set on their shelf for at least a year (they didn't even carry the player's handbook until a month ago) so I snagged it and have been getting some good ideas from that.

I'd like to run my idea by you all since I'm still pretty new to playing the role of CK and honestly could benefit from any advice or insight:

I'd like to start my party rolling up characters starting at around level 4 or 5 and have them investigating strange happenings at the Lollygag Inn (possibly revamped to be simply a Mansion of some sort) with a few NPC's that accompany them. I would like the NPC's and party stalked by something and that the NPC's will eventually succumb to the evil, either by simply disappearing or the party witnessing the NPC being dragged through the Portal.

I also plan to have at least one PC kidnapped, bound and isolated, only to awaken as they are being turned into a Vampire (taking the Tainted Lands Vampire class). That's pretty much what I have at this point, but I'm not too sure how to proceed further. I know that eventually the party will regroup, but I don't really have a strong reason for the group to be there, and I would like to avoid the 'You are at a Tavern' opening. I think the party would love to have some sort of ultimate showdown, I just don't really know with what just yet, which may or may not lead them to having to enter the Portal (for further adventures as I doubt we would have the time to really get into the Tainted Lands) - possibly to retrieve one of their party members, like the turned vampire or one of the NPC's. If the party enters the Portal, I feel that there needs to be some sort of resolution, but not so much that they don't want to further delve into the Tainted Lands.

I sketched out this grandiose plan to eventually utilized the Tainted Lands substory and incorporate areas of some of the more famous dungeons such as you find in The Temple of Elemental Evil and Skullcap (from the Dragonlance adventures), but with slight updates and twists (different enemies, treasure, etc.). But that's pretty far down the road.

What do you all think so far? I know that I could keep changing things to make it better, but I don't want to spend too much time overdeveloping the adventure. Any tips or recs on what I can add or take away to make this something that will be manageable but fun for the group?

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Re: Running a Halloween themed adventure soon.

Post by Dracyian »

Well you could have a family member dispear at or near the mansion, or since you are having NPCs travel with make this the town pillage and riot against the evil monster sort of thing with pitchforks and torches

TacoChemic
Skobbit

Post by TacoChemic »

Ha! I like the thought of an angry mob storming the Inn/Mansion/etc. with pitchforks and torches.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

TacoChemic wrote:Ha! I like the thought of an angry mob storming the Inn/Mansion/etc. with pitchforks and torches.
very classic halloween monster feel to that