Monk Weapons

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Monk Weapons

Post by Snoring Rock »

What weapons are monks allowed?

redwullf
Ulthal

Re: Monk Weapons

Post by redwullf »

Snoring Rock wrote:What weapons are monks allowed?
Page 22 of the PHB (4th and 5th printing):
PRIME ATTRIBUTE: Constitution HIT DIE: d12
ALIGNMENT: Any
WEAPONS: Aclis, blowpipe, bola, bows, brass knuckles, cat-o-nine- tails, cestus, cleaver, club, dagger, dart, dirk, falchion, hafted hook, hand axe, hatchet, hook-sword, javelin, katar, knife, light flail, light mace, nine-ring broadsword, pole arms, rock, sap, sickle, scimitar, scythe, sling, spear, spiked gauntlet, staff, whip
ARMOR: None
ABILITIES: Fast movement, hand-to-hand combat, iron body, stun attack, deflect missiles, iron fists, slow fall, feign death, fast healing, iron mind, death strike
Emphasis mine.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Gundoggy
Ungern

Re: Monk Weapons

Post by Gundoggy »

I've always questioned the monk weapon list. In many eastern martial arts, use of straight swords or sabers were very common. 9 ring sword ok but broad/long not??? Makes no sense.

Of course this is an artifact of the entire gaming classification system where swords were divided into long, broad, scimitar, falchion, bastard, 2 handed.

I've always considered using short(1d6), single handed/arming sword (1d8), long sword (historical definition/game version is bastard sword) 1d10 used 2 handed, 2 handed (big ones) 2d6 to capture the range of swords.

Both Chinese and Japanese cultures had very large swords that would be classified as 2 handers as well. I am considering expanding monk weapon list to capture this more historical view.