Castles and Crusades Rules are Incomplete

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: Castles and Crusades Rules are Incomplete

Post by mmbutter »

Treebore wrote:Yes. Range, It says nothing at all about an area of effect. Which is totally separate from Range. Since every single other version/edition of D&D tells you the area of effect it would be nice if C&C did too.
BTW, I pulled out my D&D Basic book. The spell description for "Bless" is:
Range: 60'
Duration: 6 turns

This spell raises the morale of all friendly creatures in range by +1, and gives a bonus of +1 to all their "to hit" and damage rolls. It can only be cast on creatures not in battle.
Don't know why people back then could figure this out, but it's too difficult for players nowadays...

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mmbutter wrote:
Treebore wrote:Yes. Range, It says nothing at all about an area of effect. Which is totally separate from Range. Since every single other version/edition of D&D tells you the area of effect it would be nice if C&C did too.
"Range" defines a 50' circle centered on the caster. This is like 8th grade geometry.

I don't see what's so difficult about this. Look at the caster's allies. All of them that are 50' or less from the caster get the bonus. There is no more description needed.
Correct.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Because it specifically tells you everyone within RANGE is affected? The C&C version mentions nothing about the range, or anything about an area of effect. You just have Range: 50 feet, and then your told the casters allies get the +1 and +1.

Hey, I'm glad you got it, but not everyone will. Whole reason I even brought this up tonight is because of my group that is playing tonight, all highly educated and experienced people and players, had to discuss what it really meant. If the Trolls want to continue to leave it ambiguous, fine. I am just trying to make this game better. I guess thats a hard thing for some people to handle.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Treebore wrote:Because it specifically tells you everyone within RANGE is affected? The C&C version mentions nothing about the range, or anything about an area of effect. You just have Range: 50 feet, and then your told the casters allies get the +1 and +1.
Perhaps you should also read the section before the spell descriptions titled "Range" - where it specifically says that anything outside the range is not affected by any spell's effects. Between the two descriptions - all of the caster's allies get the bonus, and nothing outside the range is affected - it's pretty obvious what is meant.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Yes, let us use fire ball as an example. You have a range that you can cast from and then the area of effect (blast radius). Bless shows a range, but not the area of effect. Could be understood for what it is, an area around the caster, but it would be nice here to have consistency in the descriptions.

Yes, we get it, but still, it falls into this mist because the description is not consistent with others.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, you know what else makes it clear as to what is meant, saying "The Area of Effect is every Allie within 50 feet of the caster receives the benefit." Clear, concise, no comparison needed. You simply know.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, you know what else makes it clear as to what is meant, saying "The Area of Effect is every ally within 50 feet of the caster receives the benefit." Clear, concise, no comparison needed. You simply know.
This.

Which also can be adapted to spells cast at a distance, but have an area effect. (Grenade style.)
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

FWIW it's worth, I think Bless is clear and consistent as is. I don't think it's necessary to insult anyone over something like this. Think of it like a charm or command spell where effects are being given based on the distance from the caster, rather than an independent AoE spell like fireball which I don't think is a good comparison. If you look at more spells, you'll see this is pretty typical of that type of spell and Bless is true to that. If spells have an area of effect, of course it should be stated. But if they simply have a functional range from the caster, like Bless, I think they should be presented as they are. That's my interpretation of it anyway. :)
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone