Tome of Horrors Complete Pathfinder or Swords and Wizardry?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Tome of Horrors Complete Pathfinder or Swords and Wizardry?

Post by Snoring Rock »

So I checked out the monster sized books at the Frog God Games booth at GenCon. It appears that I must own the Tome of Horrors Complete. I do not play Pathfinder. But the Swords and Wizardry version is short on stats. A few small things are missing. The Pathfinder version has the full stats, more that is logically needed and costs 10 buck more. So what do I do?

I can buy the stats free book and wing what is not there, or get the PF and wade through what I do not need. I am leaning toward Swords and Wizardry. Any one out there have these books? Opinions?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Tome of Horrors Complete Pathfinder or Swords and Wizard

Post by Treebore »

What "stats" are missing? As far as I can tell all that is missing is stats needed for PF, not S&W.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tadkil
Skobbit

Post by tadkil »

I have the Pathfinder version and just got the pdf. I have been running Pathfinder for about 3 years so I would go with that. Easier for me to reverse engineer. What works for you is going to be based on that same sort of familiarity.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Tree, the stats for Swords and Wizardry are much shorter than C&C stats. I will be using it for C&C. There is no number encountered, full alignment, size, or creature typs for example. I can do that myself, but sometimes type can be tricky. I just dont know if I want all the extra business of Pathfinder. Then again, the short stats are easier to deal with.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I went with the S&W version as well. The missing stuff didn't really exist in the Little Brown Books of OD&D, so I imagine they went with that "feel" for the S&W rewrites. I know why I didn't note them missing, I've never really paid attention to those "stats", except for size.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

I just got the S&W version myself and it converts very easily from what I can tell. As far as I know there's another minor difference between the PF and S&W versions in that the S&W version has the blocks of flavor text for each monster and those are almost worth the price of admission alone for me because they get my brain working when I'm stuck for a good hook.

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

Pathfinder has more stats because it is a crunchier game. In many old-school versions of the game, some of what the monster did was actually included in the description itself, which was a bit of a hassle in the middle of combat when you had to read some specific attack stuff without wanting to go through the fluff again. :p

How I'd see it: If you don't play 3.5, buy the S&W one since it has more fluff. If you play 3.5, buy that one because it's easier to convert the monsters to old-school than vice-versa.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ordered the S&W! Thanks all.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Glad you picked up the S&W version. It seemed easier to convert IMHO as mentioned up thread, it has the sample encounters for each monster. Does anyone know if the Pathfinder version has this? Regardless it is a great book, though now it's title is somewhat dated, considering FGG is releasing Tome of Horror 4. It now seems I have the Tome of Horror Not So Complete!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

TheMetal1 wrote:Glad you picked up the S&W version. It seemed easier to convert IMHO as mentioned up thread, it has the sample encounters for each monster. Does anyone know if the Pathfinder version has this? Regardless it is a great book, though now it's title is somewhat dated, considering FGG is releasing Tome of Horror 4. It now seems I have the Tome of Horror Not So Complete!
The S&W version is the only one with the sample encounters because they had to fill the pages with something, since the stats took way less space. In that sense it is a superior product. However since I play both 3.5 and osr games, I got the Pathfinder one because I can convert 3.5 stuff to osr pretty easily and I can think of encounter situations just fine.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The encounter material in the S&W version is also available as a PDF for the Pathfinder fans.

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

Treebore wrote:The encounter material in the S&W version is also available as a PDF for the Pathfinder fans.
Awesome, gonna download it. :D Thanks