Attributes modifiers and the game

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Onirim
Mist Elf

Attributes modifiers and the game

Post by Onirim »

Hello,

I've some questions about the attributes modifiers, specially when the modifier is negative.
  1. Melee combat : the "to hit" number is reduced by the strengh if the modifier is negative ?
  2. Melee combat : the "damage" is reduced by the strengh if the modifier is negative ?
  3. Thrown combat : the same question about damage in melee combat !
  4. Damage : if the strengh modifier reduce the damage at 0, it mean no damage has done ? Or a minimum of 1 point of damage is always done ?
  5. Two Weapon Combat : the strengh modifier is used to hit ? Or it's the dexterity modifier ? or the two ?
  6. Two Weapon Combat : the dexterity modifier modify the to hit, but when it is negative, it modify too ?
  7. AC : when a character have a negative modifier, it lower the AC ?
Thanks for your help =)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Attributes modifiers and the game

Post by Rigon »

Onirim wrote:Hello,

I've some questions about the attributes modifiers, specially when the modifier is negative.
  1. Melee combat : the "to hit" number is reduced by the strengh if the modifier is negative ?
  2. Melee combat : the "damage" is reduced by the strengh if the modifier is negative ?
  4. Damage : if the strengh modifier reduce the damage at 0, it mean no damage has done ? Or a minimum of 1 point of damage is always done ?
  5. Two Weapon Combat : the strengh modifier is used to hit ? Or it's the dexterity modifier ? or the two ?
  6. Two Weapon Combat : the dexterity modifier modify the to hit, but when it is negative, it modify too ?
Thanks for your help =)
1-3: Yes, the negative modifier effects the rolls for "to hit" and "damage" for all types of combat (-Dex for ranged, -Str for melee).
4: It can be which ever way you want it to be. I personally would have it do a minimum of 1 pt of damage.
5: Again this would be up to you. I only use Dex modifiers to off-set the penalties as it is different than straight up melee combat. However, I've played in other games where I was allowed to combine Str and Dex to offset the penalties.
6-7: Yes, negative modifiers effect anything that a positive modifier would effect.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Onirim wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your help =)
1) The modifier applies, whether it helps or not.
2) See 1.
3) Damage should always be 1, although if the effect is "special" like poison, you can reduce it to 0. But, in general, minimum should always be 1
4) Dexterity modifies the off-hand penalty. I do not allow Strength to be used.
5) See 1.
6) See 1.

Having a penalty means you have a penalty. It applies any time a bonus would, and more so, because it is a penalty.

zombiehands
Hlobane Orc

Post by zombiehands »

4. Strength still applies to damage.
There are two novels that can change a 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
John Rogers

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

zombiehands wrote:4. Strength still applies to damage.
Yes, definitely.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Onirim
Mist Elf

Post by Onirim »

Thanks for the answers, guys :)