How many of you actually roll HP for the monsters?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

How many of you actually roll HP for the monsters?

Post by Treebore »

For me it depends on how tough the PC's are. If they have been rolling well for their HP, have good AC's, or both I'll just give them 80 to 90% of their max HP possible.

If they have been rolling average, I give average.

So how many of you actually roll, and stick with what is rolled?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There is supposed to be a third option, which shows up when in editing, but dissappears when I "post".
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

If I run a module, and the party seems to be on par in terms of the various challenges presented, then I will leave them as is.

If I want to make it tougher (for whatever reason), I will typically max out the hit points of some of the encounters.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Veritas
Ungern

Post by Veritas »

You have to click on that "Add Entry" button next to the each poll entry in order for it to show up when you post. I've made that mistake as well, forgetting to click that button on the last entry.

In any case, I roll hit points for the monsters. I figure, if the PCs have to roll, so do the monsters. If I roll low, well, that's reason for me to have the monsters think a bit more (if they're capable of it), rather than just use brute force in their attacks.

Dristram
Ulthal

Post by Dristram »

I mix it up. I will usually roll, but sometimes I just wing it depending on how good or bad the PCs are doing to keep the encounters interesting.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

I have been averaging out the Hit Points just on the plus side of what the the average hit points for an opponent would be. Except for PC Class Villains, then I follow the same rules I give to the PCs.

1st level is max hit points and then roll for hit points every level thereafter, unless I want the PC Class villain to be really challenging, then I bump up the rolls by a hit point or two, but no higher than the max hit points possible per level.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

I roll each and every time. I rarely bump them or lower them.

davis

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I roll the nemey HP almost all of the time. I always roll the HP when planning encounters ahead of time, before the game. During encounters where I have no prep (like randome encounters) I;ve been known to wing it. I still typically roll whenever possible.

It is so cool to see one golbin with 1 HP and another with 6HP... It just makes so much awesome sense. 8)

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Korgoth
Ungern

Post by Korgoth »

If it's a monster with a bunch of HD, I usually just give it the average (though I might roll, if I feel like it). For low HD creatures, I sometimes roll but sometimes just give them all a set amount near the average.

I mostly got into the averages thing with 3E. Maybe when I get around to running C&C I'll go back to rolling more often, since prep will be so much easier.

----------

"I didn't know there would be this much talking."

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

I roll. For groups, I may roll for a common group.

Modules, I usually use the posted HP.

Metathiax
Red Cap

Post by Metathiax »

I roll beforehand using a dice roller software but both PCs and NPCs/creatures get more than half the amount of HPs on their HD (for example, rolling 1-2 gives 4 HPs, 3-4 gives 5 HPs and 5-6 gives 6 HPs on 1d6).

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I give em max HP only cause im a meanie.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I normally assign HPs.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

If I have the prep time, I roll all HPs. If not, I just use the average.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

HP = max x 1.5. Always.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

I always max the HP if I have a party of 5-6.

Instead of going beyond their stated max hp for a large party of 8-10. I just simply double the number of monsters.

Which sometimes mean 50 orcs (literally) vs 10 PCs....but that battle sure was fun last week. Failing a tumble check was not good for the rogue....

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Treebore wrote:
There is supposed to be a third option, which shows up when in editing, but dissappears when I "post".

Ah yeah, we probably need that option. Why not edit yer post?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I usually go with the HP suggested in a mod or roll it for regular monsters, i.e. orcs, kobolds, goblins, etc.

But for lieutenants, captains or leaders, I'll beef up the HP making sure it's at the top end or plus 1 or 2. Basically, I like to have some flexibility when it comes to monsters and their level/experience/toughness.

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I did try to edit. The third option was there and filled in. But when I hit post it dissappeared.

Now that people have voted I cannot try anymore.

Barrataria
Red Cap

Post by Barrataria »

I set them depending on the circumstances to give an appropriate challenge. The guards in the hallway outside the orc chief's lair= max hp. The orc cook in the galley? 1 hp. Etc.

I usually use the same hp for all monsters in an encounter just because I'm lazy. Sometimes I'll vary them based on weapons groups. If some orcs carry bows and others spears, I assume the spearmen will have better hp.

BB

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Every once in a while I roll them up because I'm feeling random, but 9 times out of time I assign accordingly.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Post by BASH MAN »

Yes, I roll it, however, I hate it when a 3HD monster ends up with 3HP because the DM rolled poorly. Instead of 3d8HD, I would roll 3d6+6, essentially turning a d8 into a d6+2, turning d10 into d8+2, and d12 into d8+4. I want my monsters to have a good chance against the PCs!

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

I roll them. Adds to prep time, but keeps the PCs guessing.