Recommend a real old school adventure module!

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
vivsavage
Red Cap

Recommend a real old school adventure module!

Post by vivsavage »

I'm looking to run something like White Plume Mountain for C&C; a dungeon crawl with tons of traps, puzzles, monsters, and general craziness. Any suggestions from the extensive C&C catalog? Did Gary Gygax write any for C&C?

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Recommend a real old school adventure module!

Post by Buttmonkey »

Why not run White Plume Mountain?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

vivsavage
Red Cap

Post by vivsavage »

Buttmonkey wrote:Why not run White Plume Mountain?
We have, in the past. I was also looking for something of lower level.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

vivsavage wrote:
Nate has been running Temple of Elemental Evil with C&C for a couple of years. You could use that.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

vivsavage
Red Cap

Post by vivsavage »

Rigon wrote:
vivsavage wrote:
Nate has been running Temple of Elemental Evil with C&C for a couple of years. You could use that.

R-
Alas, we've done that one too. We've pretty much scoured the classic D&D library. So that's why I'm looking for C&C modules.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

There's Dark Journey. Available from Troll Lord, and written by Kim Hartsfield. I own it, haven't played it. 100 rooms, looks old school enough, and is for levels 1-3.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

How about Tegel Manor? That is so classic old school! It is on RPG Now and it converts to C&C on the fly. I run it every year at GenCon....many hours of fun!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Heart of Glass.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:Heart of Glass.
Good one.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
serleran wrote:Heart of Glass.
Good one.

R-

+1 on that, but taking on the antagonist may be a bit much for a low level party. That said. I love it
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Starting at first level? I thought this was started looking at White Plume? Hear of Glass is good, but not crazy old school. Ok, that was my opinion and should not be taken as fact. Ok, well if I were the CK anything I said would be fact. So it might be fact.

Tegel Manor; that is as old school as it gets and it is crazy.

It is crazy.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No, crazy is Under the Storm Giant's Castle.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I always liked N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God, T1: The Village of Hommlet, and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge always, ALWAYS, has me thinking of Keep on the Borderlands. In fact, combining the two together would be awesome.

Halflings Hall is another good one, but requires a few more levels.

Goodman Games did a couple of good C&C conversions that felt very old school when I ran them, but they too are of higher level, they are The Mysterious Tower and Fingers of the Forsaken Hand. The Tower reminded me a bit of Castle Greyhawk and Fingers reminded me of, well I can't tell you without spoiling it. But its part of the Desert of Desolation series.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

csperkins1970 wrote:I always liked N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God, T1: The Village of Hommlet, and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands.

I ran N1 for my first time ever with C&C, it was very good, both my group and I liked it a lot.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

N1 has great roleplaying opportunities in it (paranoid townsfolk, brainwashed cultists, a mayor at his wit's end). Good stuff.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
csperkins1970 wrote:I always liked N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God, T1: The Village of Hommlet, and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands.

I ran N1 for my first time ever with C&C, it was very good, both my group and I liked it a lot.
csperkins1970 wrote:N1 has great roleplaying opportunities in it (paranoid townsfolk, brainwashed cultists, a mayor at his wit's end). Good stuff.
N1 was excellent. Treebore really captured the paranoid atmosphere in the town when he ran it (ironically, we played it using csperkins' modified C&C ruleset). We followed that up with UK2+3 which were also fun lower level modules. Another excellent beginner module is U1, Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

However, I think the OP was trying for more of a "funhouse" dungeon feel, which is not applicable to any of these modules. White Plume Mountain is an exemplar of the funhouse style, and some of the "C" series might fit (C3 Lost Island of Castanamir or C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness). Tomb of Horrors would be a bit high level but is full of "general craziness" ;). I haven't played any of these so cannot speak to their quality, plus you say you have done the classic modules so you have probably already played these. Old Dungeon magazines probably have some suitable funhouse style dungeon crawls as well.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:

csperkins1970 wrote:N1 has great roleplaying opportunities in it (paranoid townsfolk, brainwashed cultists, a mayor at his wit's end). Good stuff.
N1 was excellent. Treebore really captured the paranoid atmosphere in the town when he ran it (ironically, we played it using csperkins' modified C&C ruleset). We followed that up with UK2+3 which were also fun lower level modules. Another excellent beginner module is U1, Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

However, I think the OP was trying for more of a "funhouse" dungeon feel, which is not applicable to any of these modules. White Plume Mountain is an exemplar of the funhouse style, and some of the "C" series might fit (C3 Lost Island of Castanamir or C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness). Tomb of Horrors would be a bit high level but is full of "general craziness" ;). I haven't played any of these so cannot speak to their quality. Old Dungeon magazines probably have some suitable funhouse style dungeon crawls as well.
Its been too long for me to say about White Plume Mountain, but I went through Ghost Tower of Inverness a couple of years ago. Slaughterhouse, yes. Funhouse, no. I think only one original PC made it through. Now it was fun in that there were pretty wild encounters and events in it, but if you judge a module by survivability, its not easy. Especially at the low end of the given level ranges.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Perhaps Frank Mentzer's Lich Dungeon Level One from Eldritch Ent.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/100920/Li ... -Level-One

It's written using their generic stats and can be converted to C&C readily.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

tylermo wrote:There's Dark Journey. Available from Troll Lord, and written by Kim Hartsfield. I own it, haven't played it. 100 rooms, looks old school enough, and is for levels 1-3.
THE QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED!

;)

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

The check's in the mail?? I'm selling Troll merch even when I'm not at conventions. haha.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'll put a vote in for Horror on the Hill. I know it's Basic D&D and I don't know if it's "old school" enough for you, though. Also, it's been years since I looked at it...I'm not sure the quantity of traps and puzzles that lie within.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Treebore wrote:Assault on Blacktooth Ridge always, ALWAYS, has me thinking of Keep on the Borderlands. In fact, combining the two together would be awesome.

Halflings Hall is another good one, but requires a few more levels.

Goodman Games did a couple of good C&C conversions that felt very old school when I ran them, but they too are of higher level, they are The Mysterious Tower and Fingers of the Forsaken Hand. The Tower reminded me a bit of Castle Greyhawk and Fingers reminded me of, well I can't tell you without spoiling it. But its part of the Desert of Desolation series.
I will be doing just that soon! I'm not sure if my son's PC (who has been adventuring in B2) will port over to our new campaign or not, but A0 is where my new group will be starting and it is going to be near (as in west though I'm not sure of how many miles yet) the Keep.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax