The Jester for C&C

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
BudaZoa
Hlobane Orc

The Jester for C&C

Post by BudaZoa »

I recently drew the interests of a few 1ed Players into my C&C campaign who LOVED the Jester class so much and had the old class from the dungeon magine #60 that I redid it for C&C.

The first session I informed the new players we would wing it til I had a chance to sit down and convert the class. Normally I think it makes sense to give the newer classes higher XP than any base class as a penalty for not taking a base class and turning into hwta you want but I am partial to this class as I have it from back in the days when all I played was AD&D.

The new players got into their classes and easily adapted to C&C system. We had a blast that session.

So here it is for anyone who wishes to use it :

The Jester (Charisma)

Jesters by trade are adventurous individuals with an overwhelming sense of the absurd. They roam from place to place, telling tales, pulling practical jokes, insulting the most fearsome of monsters and characters, and generally making nuisances of themselves. Due to their odd powers, they may prove potentially useful (or annoying) to adventuring parties.

Jesters are known by many names: fools, clowns, jokers, buffoons, etc. Jesters are comedians at heart. They love to have a good time and enjoy sharing their mirth and merrment with others (even when they aren‘t welcomed). Most people enjoy having a Jester about, as they raise morale, entertain, and make great scapegoats when problems arise. Jesters are flamboyant, outrageous, and ridiculous. Many sages believe that Jesters live in a constant state of borderline insanity. It is known that they live for attention and feel relaxed only when they are the focus of events

Any change from the jester’s alignment to a lawful or evil alignment immediately makes the jester a thief with very limited abilities.

Abilities

Limited Spell Casting: The Jester has limited spell casting as an illusionist with a much slower progression and a maximum of 5th level spell casting ability. The Jester receives a bonus 1st level spell if Intelligence is 13-15, and a 2nd level spell with intelligence of 16-17 and 3rd level with intelligence 18. Jesters use a unique spellbook which is only readable by other Jesters. There is a 1% chance per level of the Jester that a spell cast will misfire and have no effect.

Jesters Luck: Jesters receive a +1 bonus ( +5% on percentile rolls) to most die rolls. This includes saving throws, initiative, surprise and class skill checks. The
fool's luck also adds a + 1 bonus to the Jester's Armor Class. About the only die rolls that the fool's luck ability doesn't affect are attack rolls, damage rolls, initial character generation rolls, and Hit Die rolls.

A Jesters Mind: Jesters are immune to anything that can cause insanity. Jesters also gain a saving throw bonus equal to their level vs. arcane spells of the enchantment/charm school and priest spells of the charm sphere

Limited Thief Abilities: (DEX) At First Level a Jester gains the Ability to climb as an equal level thief. At third Level a Jester can pick pockets aa a thief of two levels lower.

The Jester’s Juggle: (DEX) Jester’s are exceptionally trained in the art of juggling small objects and doing tricks with them. If the Jester is aware of small grenade like objects he/she can catch the item in question and immediately toss it back in the direction it came from with a successful siege roll. The jester cannot do anything else in a round using this ability but can perform this act three time per round. Only objects of weight one pound/four levels to a maximum of four pounds can be caught in this manner.

Prime Attribute: Charisma
Typical Race: Any
Starting Gold: 30-180 gp
HD: d6
Alignment: Any non lawful or non evil
Weapons: Club, daggers, scimitars, slings, staves and swords.
Armor: leather, leather coat, small shields, buckler
Abilities: Limited Spell Casting, Jesters Luck, A Jesters Mind,
Limited Thief Abilities, The Jester’s Juggle

Level HD BTH EPP 0 1 2 3 4 5
1 D6 0 0
2 D6 (+1) 1501 3 1
3 D6 (+1) 3001 3 2
4 D6 (+1) 6001 3 2 1
5 D6 (+2) 12001 4 2 1
6 D6 (+2) 24001 4 3 1
7 D6 (+2) 48001 4 3 2 1
8 D6 (+3) 96001 5 3 2 1
9 D6 (+3) 192001 5 4 2 1
10 D6 (+3) 392001 5 4 3 2 1
11 (+2) (+4) 592001 6 4 3 2 1
12 (+2) (+4) 792001 6 5 3 2 1
13 (+2) (+4) 992001 6 5 4 3 2 1

+200,000 XP for each level after 10th
5th level spell maximum

Spell list:

0 level

ARCANE MARK
DANCING LIGHTS
DETECT ILLUSION
INFLUENCE
GHOST SOUND
LIGHT
MAGICAL AURA

1st Level

CHARM PERSON
HYPNOTISM
JUMP
OBSCURING MIST
SLEEP
VENTRILOQUIST

2nd Level

Forget
RAY OF ENFEEBLEMENT
ENHANCE ATTRIBUTE*
PYROTECHNICS
Trip

3rd Level

DISPEL ILLUSION
ILLUSORY SCRIPT
NONDETECTION
SCARE
SUGGESTION

4th Level

CONFUSION
EMOTION
FEAR
MINOR CREATION
SEEMING

5th Level

FALSE VISION
FEEBLEMIND
GUARDS AND WARDS
PROJECT IMAGE
SHADOW EVOCATION
I'd rather be hated for who I am

Than loved for who I am not.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: The Jester for C&C

Post by Treebore »

Ah man, you have to give them their ability to kind of control the Rod of Wonder!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

BudaZoa
Hlobane Orc

Post by BudaZoa »

Thats a given

10% chance per level, double the effects of pipes of the sewers, ect....
I'd rather be hated for who I am

Than loved for who I am not.

nightstorm
Red Cap

Post by nightstorm »

I actually like the one in Colin Chapman's free pdf "Colin Sez" the best. It's more in line with C&C concepts and rules.