Hide alignment?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Hide alignment?

Post by Desrimal »

I planning a wizard NPC in my campaign who poses as everybody's best friend, but really is the evil mastermind behind an undead invasion :) The characters are going to meet him, but I'm afraid they'll be using a detect evil spell and ruin the "surprise". Now the question: Is there a way for wizards to hide their alignment. I'm thinking the reverse version of "Detect thoughts" - would that spell do the trick.

I would also be interested in knowing how you handle detect spells in your campaign. The GM in the Pathfinder Game I attend as a player, made a rule sp that only undead and extraplanar beigns can be detect by the spell. I consider adopting this rule.
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
http://www.rustage.dk
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336

nightstorm
Red Cap

Re: Hide alignment?

Post by nightstorm »

In my games, since I started playing sometime in the early 70's I've always house ruled that detect evil/good only worked if the being was INTRICATELY evil/good ie demons, devas etc Humans , elves beings with free will can not be "detected".

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are spells from 1E you could use to conceal your alignment. Think they were carried over into 2E as well. The only spell I distinctly remember is high level. I believe it is still called Mind Blank, even in C&C.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Ahh.. there it is: Mind blank. That's the spell I was looking for! Thank you Treebore :) It's an 8th level wizard spell though, so my NPC wizard will not be able to cast it.
RPGing since '89

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Nondetection is a 3rd level spell and protects against divination spells and devices. I define Detect spells as divination spells in my games.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Don;t forget the Ring of Mind Shielding in the M&T that probably the path of least resistance for you.

-Mike

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

One thing to be mindful of, though, and that's if they do try to detect alignment, and they get a cloudy or non-reading, then that's going to be almost as bad as detecting him as evil. I guess he could have a convincing story as to why he's shielded (perhaps he's hiding from "evil forces" trying to discern his location, etc.).
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I created a ring (or some periapt of some kind) of Obscure Alignment. It was originally based on the AD&D 2nd level Cleric spell Obscure Alignment (reverse of Know Alignment). In C&C, you just gotta make up something.

Also, if you as a CK have allowed your party to just cast Detect Evil (or Know Alignment) at will without the ramifications that go with it, then they will do it every chance they get. I always make Detect Evil an actual ritual (albeit a brief one) wherein the caster (or Paladin using his inherent ability) must kneel, bring forth his holy symbol and pray aloud for guidance. Doing this will obviously draw attention...

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

Yeah, he wouldn't want to give off a blank reading. That'd set off alarms. Give him a ring that causes him to be read as neutral or something. I seem to recall somewhere back in the World of Greyhawk material there was a paladin in deep cover within the low-level government of the devil-aligned country. Talk about a sucky job. But he used a ring. Trivial thing to handwave. Just make sure you don't mind the PCs getting hold of whatever you come up with.

I ran a chaotic evil PC who joined the group in order to set up their fall. (Contract job, nothing personal.) But my character was a friendly guy, and I don't think it ever crossed their minds to do any kind of detection. (Not that they were saints.)

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Thank you for all your input. This is a great forum! Both Nondetection or Ring of mind shielding will definitely do the trick! If my groups' cleric is casting detect evil and doesn't get any aura from the wizard, the'll proberbly think that he is good or perhaps neutral (I hope - otherwise I'll just have to rethink the plot :))
RPGing since '89

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

While it is not technically specified, I allow an illusionist to use their disguise ability to manipulate alignment. After all, they are the masters of belief and alignment is just a "manifestation" of that, among other things.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, that is definitely something to remember. When Detect Evil is used, as a spell or by a Paladin, all they know is that they do not detect as evil, so could be of any non evil alignment. If they want to know if something is up, they need to cast Know Alignment and get no reading of any kind.

zombiehands
Hlobane Orc

Post by zombiehands »

nightstorm wrote:In my games, since I started playing sometime in the early 70's I've always house ruled that detect evil/good only worked if the being was INTRICATELY evil/good ie demons, devas etc Humans , elves beings with free will can not be "detected".
+1
There are two novels that can change a 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
John Rogers